Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - finally found counter stools but the offgassing is awful

Posted by muskokascp (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:09

I have been trying to find the right mix of modern but comfortable stool for 2 years. It needs to have a back ( high enough to do the job of supporting you but not too high) a padded seat and arm rests would be great. We often sit at the island for a long enough time that comfort is a big must have - the kids will do their homework, computer work and watch the tv at the island. I am in Canada so ordering stools equals a commitment to the stool in many cases.

Two weeks ago I found these stools at HomeSense and I jumped on them. They had 4 of them and the price was right at $150ea.

Everyone in the family loves them and they are super comfy. But they are smelly and they are giving me a headache. Yesterday was the first day that I really spent a lot of time working in the kitchen and by the end of the day I felt quite ill. I think I will have to return them...

Does anyone have experience with yucky vinyl offgassing? I worry that they will continue to smell beyond my time to return them and there are lots of scary stories about the chemicals and what they can do to you over time. I just don't want to take the chance.

So, assuming I return them - can anyone recommend a similar style stool?
 photo photo2_zpsd3c1d90c.jpg photo photo1_zpsb497d837.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - finally found counter stools but the offgassing is awf

I've had the same problem with some computers...I think it might be the styro-foam packing. Whatever it was, it was terrible for about six weeks, every time my husband turned on the computer. Eventually, it finally 'burned off' or whatever, but it can be annoying and it gave me a bit of a headache.

My friend had a similar problem with new carpet in her basement. It was installed in the winter and she couldn't open the windows.

Can you store the stools out in the garage for a month or two, until the offgassing is a bit better? Do you think it's the vinyl...or maybe being stored in a warehouse and the vinyl just picked up some other odors?

o

Below is a link. Is the material PVC?

Here is a link that might be useful: How to off-gas furniture

o

I don't know if it's PVC but that's a good bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here