Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_neumann

Finished White Kitchen

Laurie Neumann
14 years ago

I have been reading this forum since last summer but haven't posted much. I come on here almost everyday and look at all the wonderful kitchens and was able to glean many helpful tips and design ideas from many of you. Thank you very much! Our remodel started in October and was finished a few days before Christmas 2009. The process went very smoothly which was surprising. We built our house 17 years ago and decided it was time for an update. The original kitchen was very small, closed off, and dark so we took out a large walk-in pantry and knocked down the garage wall and borrowed a 6' X 8' from the garage. This little change made a huge difference and completely transformed our kitchen into an ideal space that looks like it has always been there. It blends very well into the existing dining room and living room giving it a very open look.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Country Kitchen Remodel

Comments (31)

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I bet you loved having it done for the holidays. (Cute kids, too!)

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lost my post with details. Hope the picture works.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Lovely! I should know the granite but I don't. You guys did an amazing job in a short amount of time. I know you are enjoying it every day.

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Very nice!!! Is that Tropical Brown granite?? Its lovely!
    Your floors look awesome, too!!

• ajard
    14 years ago

It looks beautiful! What are your counter tops and what finish is the hardware?

• lesmis
    14 years ago

It's really beautiful and what a transformation! Congrats!

Kat :)

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Appliances:
    Jenn-Air, Eurostyle
    Full-depth Refrigerator, Recessed
    Dual Fuel Convection Range
    Dishwasher

Sink, Oliveri stainless steel
    Brizo faucet
    Sink-top disposal switch
    No ugly air gap for the dishwasher

Custom-built, solid maple cabinets, painted SW Ivory Lace (matches trim and doors)
    Dove-tail, soft-close drawers
    Pull-out garbage cans to the left of sink
    Corner next to range, lazy susan

Love my built-in pantry right next to the refrigerator and donÂt even miss the large walk-in we removed. The extra space is well worth it!
    Lower half has six long pull-out drawers.
    Upper half has swing-out shelves with shelves behind and shelves on doors.

Island dimensions are 39" x 86", 42" aisles on both sides, 48" from range.
    Pull-outs for pans in island across from range
    I wanted the island to look like a farm table. There is plenty of room for seating and for getting through the aisle when people are seated or standing at the island.
    Originally I was going to have a prep sink in the island and am glad I opted out because it took up too much valuable storage space.

Granite is tropical brown, easy to keep clean, and very neutral.
    Backsplash is probably my favorite, 4" tumbled travertine that has been sealed, in a brick pattern. IÂm glad it doesnÂt look too busy. We get many compliments on the granite and backsplash.

I love having lots of light! All of our lighting including the undercabinet can be dimmed. We are extremely happy with the undercabinet Xenon lighting.

The flooring was tricky because I wanted to keep the wood we had in the dining room. The thickness we needed was discontinued and we were fortunate to find it on the internet (Fast Floors). This was the key to making the new kitchen flow into the dining room and look like it had always been there.

Our remodel included the laundry room/office through the pocket door to the left of the range and 2 bathrooms. It took a little over two months to complete the whole project. We also put in new patio doors in the dining room and the master bedroom.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the changes you made to your kitchen with so much light, those beautiful cabinets, that very pretty backsplash, the beautiful refrigerator and appliances, and the floors look great. The granite goes so well and is very pretty also.

I am also wanting to know what finish is the hardware and where did you get it since I like it very much.

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on creating a beautiful kitchen that is not only gorgeous but laid out so well.

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flooring is Anderson Lincoln Planks, sand color. The 3/8" was discontinued so we had to order it on the internet. It does come in 1/2" but we were blending it with the old wood in the dining room. We are happy with the way it turned out.
    The hardware was from Home Depot, Amerock Ambrosia Euro Stone Sq Pull in a rustic pewter finish. The knobs #BP4485-WN, pulls BP4483-WN.

The cute boys in the pictures are now grown-up and have a 16 year-old sister.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Hardware

• julie94062
    14 years ago

I'm glad you could borrow some room from the garage. It really makes it a perfect space. Everything is beautiful and I'm sure the whole family is enjoying it! (BTW, cute, cute boys!)

• julie94062
    14 years ago

I think we posted at the same time. Ah, so the cute boy pics were from when you built the house? (I'm sure they're still cute!)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I love it! I hope can tell you are enjoying it! Love the pantry.
    Lisa

• cathrugg
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful and fresh, I can't decide what I love best!

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

That is a lovely mix of white and wood. Very very nice. Your cabinets look stunning and so well built and functional. Enjoy your new kitchen and congratulations!

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a link the the entire remodel, kitchen demolition, new laundry room/office, and 2 new bathrooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodeled Kitchen, Laundry, Baths

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I would love to see your kitchen, but I keep getting a Photobucket message saying that the action I wanted to perform failed. I tried each of your links, and I could see nothing! Would it be possible to embed some pictures into your message? From the comments, your kitchen sounds so lovely!

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• rhome410
    14 years ago

What an amazing transformation...a grand improvement. Looks like a whole new house. You have an elegant and warm kitchen. I love the new layout. Congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

neumamom, Thanks for the link for the hardware. I love your kitchen.

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would really like to post more pictures but I can't seem to get it to work. My messages get rejected and I lose the posts. I'm not very computer savvy.
    Maybe if you go to these pages directly they will work. Thanks for all your nice comments.

http://s911.photobucket.com/home/neumamom/recentuploads?page=2
    http://s911.photobucket.com/home/neumamom/recentuploads?page=3

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/neumamom/Remodel 2009/?albumview=slideshow

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I noticed the online price of the cabinet hardware was much higher than what I paid. I bought mine in the bulk section of the hardware at Home Depot for $4.47 apiece for the pull and $3.99 for the knob. These also were in the custom order display for almost twice as much and it took weeks to get them. Kinda crazy.

• colorado_mom
    14 years ago

Awesome! Is that an asymmetrical lazy susan to the right of your range? We have the exact plan there as the space between our corner and range is very small. Do you like it?

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is asymmetrical and I do like it. Just make sure you don't have the door open on the range side; we had it there originally and had to move it to the other side because the door would hit the range when we tried to open it. The dimensions are roughly 16" x 11" with the wider part next to the range. The left side of the cupboard door is 1 1/2" from the range. There is plenty of room to get things in and out. I mostly keep bread pans, roaster, cakes pans, popcorn popper in there and it's very handy. I keep my cookie sheets and flatter things on the left side of the range. My pans are in pullouts in the island across from the range.

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

Beautiful! And you finished so quickly. I love it!

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! Very warm and inviting while still sophisticated.

I'm drooling over that pantry and love the BS!

How do you like the Jenn air range? I'm wishing I'd picked that over my new KA range...

• busybme
    14 years ago

What a beautiful transformation!! Congratulations!

And I love your new chairs at your breakfast/dining table. They really fit the space!

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Regarding the Jenn-Air range, I fell in love with the "look" as soon as I saw it. I was fortunate that the Jenn-Air refrigerator was equally as pretty. They both work wonderfully. In my first kitchen, I had a GE gas cooktop that I had to take out and replace with electric. For some reason we couldn't get it converted properly to propane (we live in the country). We had no trouble with the propane conversion on the Jenn-Air and it works perfectly.

Regarding the dining table and chairs, they're probably 10 years old and I need to refinish them and replace the fabric on the seats. My cat uses them as a scratching post! I obviously didn't go for the matchy-matchy look with the pine dining set, painted maple cabinets, and oak floor.

• starpooh
    14 years ago

I love your choice of granite and backsplash. Such a beautiful kitchen

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so then can you please submit the FKB Category Checklist? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Starpooh,
    I would be happy to have my kitchen in the archives. I will also submit the checklist.

• Laurie Neumann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am posting because my kitchen is lost.