Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

Layout feedback?

saltnpeppa
9 years ago

i am kinda intimidated to post here!!!
I'm working with an existing space-- windows over sink wall are ordered, electricity & plumbing done.
We cook & entertain quite often--not gourmet or anything! Just enjoy having our friends & family over. There will be a dbl sided fireplace opposite the walls of windows.
Help?!?
I have not ordered any appliances, cabinets, or anything.
Going for a clean, light rustic look.
{{gwi:2136171}}>

Comments (38)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2136171}}ket.com/user/humslr/media/imagejpg1_zps28c41489.jpg.html"; target="_blank">>

{{gwi:2136172}}>

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2136173}}>

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know-- it's one of my concerns!! I can change island length?
    Under cab refrigerator in island?
    I plan on putting sink in island--but where? Middle or end towards FP?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Since electrical and plumbing are done, and layout can't be changed, I'd move the island 8-10" closer to the sink. Make the island 18-24" shorter, and switch refrigerator and freezer. That would bring bottom end of island even with edge of fridge, so not as much of a trip around.

I'd also move the island a few inches closer to the range, leaving more room on the seating side. Trying to open an appliance door when someone is sitting at the island, might be tricky. It seems that while you're bent over rummaging in the fridge, your backside would be up against the back of anyone sitting at the island. Well, my backside would--yours might be smaller. ;]

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Forgot to address prep sink in island. If the island is moved toward the clean-up sink, I'd try to line up the left side of the prep sink (as you face it) with the bottom edge (in pic) of the stove. That should allow enough room for you to place veggies from the fridge on the counter, left of prep sink-->wash/rinse-->chop on right side-->pivot left, and toss.

Maybe do a mock-up of these ideas, and see how it all feels to you. Good luck!

This post was edited by mama_goose on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 15:11

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Is your pantry big enough for the big guys (the fridge and freezer) to go into it? This would get them on the working side of the kitchen. Then you could do a nice hutch where the fridge and freezer are. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful space when you get done. : )

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Looks like you want to have island same lenght as the range+cabs?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I could see an under counter fridge to the right of the clean-up sink on the window wall. That would be a very handy location.

Perhaps you could put the fridge there and just the freezer in the pantry.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for giving me options!!
    Electrical & plumbing are just roughed in so I can make some changes.
    There is a sink in the pantry so there is water there
    If I put UC fridge to right of main sink--where would DW go?
    Would it look weird to not have a fridge in kitchen?
    Hindsight I wish I had R & F flanking window wall.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Yes, it's going to be beautiful! On the drawing the symmetry is very pleasing, and the wall of windows will be amazing.

But, will it be functional? No matter how beautiful it is, if it's difficult to work in, will you still appreciate the symmetry? I really hesitate to post at this point, but your kitchen could be so much more functional.

First, you should read the linked threads from the sticky at the top of the page, if you haven't already. Layout/function info. I'm not a KD, so feel free to disregard all of the following:

Do you cook and bake a lot? Can you put the window order on hold? Can the plumbing be redone? If not, then stop reading. ;)

I think the fridge should be where the freezer is drawn, or on the opposite wall, beside the hall door. Anyone coming from the living/sleeping areas can get to it easily, without traipsing through your work zones. If you are plumbing the fridge, maybe you could connect to plumbing in existing bath.

If the range was located where you have the clean-up sink, a prep sink could be put on one side (depending on which side you put the fridge), with a baking center on the other side. Imagine yourself chopping veggies, or mixing cookies, while enjoying the view from the wonderful windows. How much time to you spend loading/unloading the DW, compared to prepping? You have plumbing on that wall--maybe it could be moved to accommodate the prep sink? Also, in that location, the range would be more protected from through traffic, and (Edited, forgot to add:) venting will be easier on an exterior wall.

I like the suggestions for putting the freezer in the pantry, if there's room. With the freezer out of the kitchen, you could put the microwave on a shelf beside the fridge, and have a snack center.

The clean-up sink and DW could be put where the range is currently drawn, also near existing bathroom plumbing, and more convenient to dining area. Or, if you have the plumbing in the island already, consider putting the clean-up sink and DW in the island.

With clean-up at the island, shallow cabinets could be put on the side of the kitchen opposite the fridge, to make up for space in the pantry, which was lost to the freezer. That would leave a few more inches for seating at the island, or for making the island wider.

It's cold here today, and I've had nothing better to do than throw out these wild ideas. Good luck with your kitchen!

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 12:24

• Jillius
    9 years ago

>If I put UC fridge to right of main sink--where would DW go?

To the left.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

>If I put UC fridge to right of main sink--where would DW go?

To the left.

Yes, New location for DW. :)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mama goose--I am such a symmetry person!! Thank u so for your thoughts on this!!
    Windows have been ordered($$). I can still play w plumbing & electric & appliances. Pantry/ utility is 9x14--I had a looted for 48" cabs, washer, 30" sink, dryer then make a corner & 60" cab configuration.

Ok, haha--duh on the dishwasher!!
    If I put fridge in pantry-- I could get regular side by side(less $$)
    Still want ice maker. And put UC fridge to left of sink.
    Thinking abt stages 45 sink.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

If you go with an under counter fridge, it should go to the right of the sink, not the left.

On the right, it is a direct walk from the main work zone with the cooktop and the prep sink/island counter. It is also then neatly clustered with the pantry, which is nice when you are grabbing all your ingredients before you start cooking, or when you are unloading groceries.

On the left, it is no longer clustered with the pantry, and you will have to walk around the island every time you are cooking and need something from the fridge.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry-- I meant right!!!
    Work is getting in the way of my kitchen planning!!!
    Is this w refrigerator in pantry or original location?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Neither.

You had said in response to my previous post:

>Still want ice maker. And put UC fridge to left of sink.

And I'm saying don't put the UC fridge to the left of the clean-up sink. The only way an under counter fridge is a good idea is if it's put to the RIGHT of the clean-up sink.

Putting it to the left is totally pointless. You are trying to fix the fact that your current plan means you have to walk around the island to get to the fridge. Putting an under counter fridge to the left of the sink means you will still have to walk around the island to get to the fridge. It is not an improvement to your current plan.

Either put the UC fridge to the right of the sink where you will no longer have to walk around the island, or don't do an UC fridge.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been on iPhone today @ work--kinda scattered!!
    Jillius-- thank you!! This whole zone/layout is foreign to me-- I've always just dealt with what I've had in a house.

How about this? Is this what I'm hearing as a consensus?
    I put regular side by side in pantry. Add UC sink to the RIGHT of main sink for items that are used often. I can then take space under the stairs as pantry cabinet.

Where does UC ice go to be useful? I just like the wet ice!!!:)

• Jillius
    9 years ago

What do you use the ice for? Like in what situations and with what other kitchen items. You'd want it grouped with those.

How is it different from an ice maker in a freezer?

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's mainly for drinks. I love the wet ice-- cokes don't fizz!

What bat this?
    Put main fridge in pantry. UC fridge to right of main sink. Ice maker in island with cabs for glassware next to it.
    Island design- I made 24" for each barstool. Good?
    Walkway between hutch & island is 48"(only 24" when barstools in use but that's figuring a 24"D hutch) but hutch could be additional pantry storage, as suggested.
    I'm really trying to listen & incorporate the ideas given!! And work on better function.
    {{gwi:2136174}}>
    {{gwi:2136175}}>
    Thanks!

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ThIs is pantry/utility.
    {{gwi:2136176}}>

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Wouldn't your drinks be in the pantry? Would it make more sense for the ice maker to go in there with the drinks? You walk into the kitchen, grab a glass, and go get your drink and ice from the same place. Alternative ly, you could set the new hutch up as more of a drinks/snacks area. Ice maker and beverage fridge over there with your alcohol, wine glasses, coffee maker, etc. I don't know if you drink special things enough for that to make sense.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's no water line where hutch will be--guess I was thinking ice maker since the beginning! And putting milk, oj, cream,eggs, etc in UC fridge.
    And,really, no specialty drinks!
    Guess I could just use freezer ice. It would make island layout a lot more simple.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I just looked up the whole wet ice concept. Does it have no other use except not making sodas fizzy? I hate to say it because you seemed so excited about it, but it does seem like a lot of storage space to give up and money to spend on a one-use item.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really, it's only 15 inches wide!!
    We also are always packing a cooler to go to lake & the extra ice is nice.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I noticed that you posted a thread about being frustrated--very understandable at this point.

I made a couple of very rudimentary layouts (I talk a lot, but have limited computer skills), showing how they function. I know you like the idea of putting the fridge in the pantry, but I think it would be better kept in the kitchen, especially if other family members will be using it frequently. Compare the amount of time that you'll spend gathering ingredients for a meal, to the amount of time that DH and X number of kids will spend rummaging around in there.

This one is closest to your original vision. I've tried to show main prep, and secondary prep areas. You can play around with trash, ice, and dish storage, to find the best fit. (Note that I've given you a lovely kitchenaid mixer in the baking area. ;)
    {{gwi:2136177}}

This one combines a couple of my ideas. Fridge is close to bathroom, in case it will be plumbed for ice/water. Since you will be prepping on the island, landing space is all you need on each side of range:
    {{gwi:2136178}}

Very basic graphics, but gets clean-up closer to DR, where dirty dishes will be coming from, and is next to bathroom, for shared plumbing. It puts the range on exterior wall for venting. The fridge and snack area could be flipped, to get the fridge a few steps closer to main prep area.
    {{gwi:2136179}}

If you google 'gardenweb stove in front of window' you'll get some ideas, including this totally gorgeous version:

Now that I've confused you even more, try to relax and enjoy the research process. I mean, those pretty pictures, alone, are worth the time invested. :)

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Putting it in the pantry makes a lot of sense- beverages and water line are there and you can design the kitchen for primary function.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

How about just shortening the island to a 42" square? This gives you plenty of prep space as well as good access to fridge from prep/cook areas.

Since you're going for the rustic look, it seems a narrow plank table in front of the fireplace with bench seating might work for guests. They would still be close enough to visit the cook. Although I'm not clear how much space you have for clearance with the hall right there.

May not work but thought I'd throw something else out for consideration.

I love your concept. It's going to be gorgeous.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I love the idea of a rustic plank table--if you can't fit it in for seating, maybe the island could have a rustic, work-table style.

What kind of door are you considering for the pantry? I think the best way to make the fridge-in-pantry idea work, is by putting an undercounter fridge (mentioned by several posters above), on the left wall, at the end. Dedicate that area to snacks and breakfast, with all the things that your family might want. You could have drinks, milk, cereal, etc., convenient to the living areas and the island seating. Having the fridge in the pantry would then give you a nice secondary prep area beside the clean-up sink, and would work well if you use that for a baking area.
    {{gwi:2136180}}

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG!!! I just love you guys/gals!!
    This is so awesome and gives me lots to think about but not in the rambled way I was thinking before!!
    I have printed off your drawings, Mama Goose (which I think you are quite talented to be able to do what you have done on the computer -- you see I'm a pencil & graph paper person! ha)
    I am going to study these today and play with cabinet/appliance configurations.
    I really don't think I can put into words how much I appreciate the feedback:)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to thank you all for your time and guidance!!

we are moving along.....slllllllooooooowwwwwwlllllly

Guy that works for my husband is custom building cabinets(when they have down time--smacking myself on forehead for agreeing to this!!)

I'll post some pics of where we are right now. Island will be old barn wood & rustic. Let go of my ice maker dream--$$!!

big fridge & freezer will be in pantry.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Inspiration for range wall.......rustic range hood & floating wood shelves

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

It's going to be gorgeous and worth the wait for your cabinets. :)

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Ditto what funky wrote.

I'm envious of your view out your windows.

Are your floors polished concrete? Whatever they are, I can't get over how shiny they are.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago
    That's going to be an incredible space!
  • User
    8 years ago

By looking up an old post of mine recently I realized who you are. Hi!! (it's Shee) Your kitchen is going to look amazing. Hope you'll post finished photos.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks!!

Although I question if I can wait for him to finish!! I know I sacrificed some functionality for the windows, but I do love them.

Yes, polished concrete-- we DIYed them-- kinda remind me of a turtle shell. Really wasn't expecting such high shine & hope they'll wear down some.

hey Shee!!! I'll be on decorating side soon with lots of questions! I miss the forum. How are you?!?

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Way late back to this. Things are good. Still decorating. I want to move, but that's a whole other story, ha. Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor