Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsbridges_gw

What wood is best for countertop?

mrsbridges
16 years ago

We are making a perimeter countertop of glued solid 1" thick by 3" wide strips(we have done it with birch at our cottage with great success) It will be sealed with catalyzed varnish. The area around the sink and the island that has the range will have stone countertop.

We are considering using one of the following woods:teak, mahogany,or red cedar. Does anyone have any opinions or advice?

thanks, Mrs. B

Comments (6)

• sue36
    16 years ago

I think teak is best. It is also $$$$. About twice as much as other woods I priced. I've never heard of red cedar for a counter. Lyptus is another choice and can easily be stained to look like mahogany.

• User
    16 years ago

I have teak. It is wider boards and I sealed it with Waterlox. We have enjoyed it now for a year and it still looks great. It is around the sink and cooktop. Lots of heavy use. It was quite inexpensive from the lumber supply place that my cab guy uses. Way way less than the granite that folks are using. Hope this helps, c

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I know that teak is used widely in boats...I think because its natural oils make it less prone to water damage, so it would be good around sinks, I'd think.

From boats.com: "Teak is an almost perfect wood for boats, since it resists rot and is very stable from warpage and cracking. On the downside, it dulls tools quickly because it is full of silica, and the very oil that helps preserve it from rot also makes it hard to paint or varnish."

Oh, just reread your post and see you'll have stone around the sink. But it still seems like teak would be a good surface for washing down, etc.

I've seen mahogany island tops...Gorgeous. I've never heard of cedar, which also has oils that help preserve it, being used for counters, but both woods are pretty soft, I think.

• mrsbridges
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks to all. I have come up with a new one to cosider: antique heart pine! I want that warm honey color.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Ipe is also fabulous--very hard, dense, oily wood as well.

Whatever you get, *please* consider using reclaimed or FSC-certified wood. Having a hand in destroying the Indonesian reef system or South American rainforests is a heavy weight to bear for the sake of nice counters in your kitchen, esp. when so many other options exist.

Good luck!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi.
    Teak is very good because of its water-resistant quality. Mahogany may be the best choice over all because in addition to being fairly water-friendly, it is the most stable of the four species you've mentioned. Cedar and heart pine have a lot of expansion/contraction cycles to worry about. Mahogany is also very strong and holds details very well, if you're considering a fancy edge treatment. Teak may be all these things too, but I have no familiarity working it other than it's nautical reputation.
    Casey