Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eriepatch

Kitchen lighting along with a ceiling fan

eriepatch
12 years ago

I have been reading Bellajourney's post about a ceiling fan.

Ceiling Fan or Schoolhouse Light? - Take 2! (pics)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg011424175122.html

I like the Casa Vieja Outlook in Brushed Nickel also but know that it won't be enough light in my kitchen.

Our kitchen is in the middle of the house so no direct light. DH says under cabinet lighting with the fan will be enough.

Any thoughts on that or will we also need some canned lights?

We are going to paint the cabinets a soft white color and put in granite (color to be decided)

The reason the kitchen looks so light in the pictures below is because of the original fixture (now removed and outside filled with dirt to become my strawberry bed...talk about recycling!)

Right now I have a single bulb hanging from the wires which will probably be about the same amount of light as the fixture on the ceiling fan and it's not nearly enough light.

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments (9)

• sw_in_austin
    12 years ago

It depends, of course, on how big your kitchen is, how many windows there are and probably other things I'm not thinking of.

But . . . in my kitchen, which is about 12 x 15 including an eat-in area and has a large north-facing window and two smaller west-facing windows, we have both a ceiling fan (a traditional Hunter with a schoolhouse type globe that holds -- I think -- one 75-watt bulb), three pendants (60-watt, one over the sink and a matching one in front of the second small window as well as one over the kitchen table, and three 5-inch cans (two over the range and one in front of the pantry cabinet). We also have undercabinet fluorescent strips.

I'm glad to have all those lights (except the second pendant which I only put up to balance the one over the sink and which we rarely turn on). I use the UC lights all the time, as well as the cans over the range. The ceiling fan light gives fair general purpose light but without the other task lighting my kitchen would be too dark.

All except the UC lights are on dimmers and I use the dimmers all the time too.

• grumpydave
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that you generally can't use can lights and a ceiling fan at the same time unless you really like strobe lights and migraine headaches. Of course it'll depend on the exact positioning of both.

• carybk
    12 years ago

We have LED cans and a ceiling fan with a light-- no strobe problems at all. The ceiling fan is small and relatively far from the cans. We are happy to have both, though we rarely use the light on the fan.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Just wanted to wish you luck!! I'm struggling with the same question right now (sufficient overall kitchen lighting). Glad you like the fan! :)

• eriepatch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The kitchen is approx 11 x 11 with NO windows.
    The Dining room ajoins it and has a wall of windows but the kitchen really is dark.
    Hopefully when we paint the cabinets it will help some.
    Hadn't thought about a strobe light effect. Glad you haven't had that problem waterdamage.
    I'm still wondering how much under cabinet lights will help
    or if they are more decorative?

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    12 years ago

Hi! Just thought I'd chime in. My soon to be old kitchen is 12 by 14. It too is in an interior room. We have a ceiling fan with lights (need them in the south), recessed lighting and under cabinet lighting. The under cabinet is terrific when doing prep work! In my kitchen, at least, it is functional not just decorative. As for the strobe effect I have never experienced that but the fan is on the other side of the room and is properly installed and sized to room. I'm sure Dave could clarify but I think the strobe effect happens when the fan is too large for the room.

• eriepatch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks iheartgiantschnauzer,
    BTW, Iheartminischnauzers :)

Sounds as though what I am thinking will work out okay.
    The fan is a 36" so I don't think it will be too large.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

We talked to a salesperson in a lighting store and it was very helpful. She was a professional and her advice was not given because she expected a sale. A worthwhile evening activity. Bring your layout diagram and some photos.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

I prefer pools if light and task light to ambient light in a kitchen, so I use a fan with no light, a pendent over the sink, two pendents over the peninsula, under cabinet lights, and the light in the range hood. [Unfortunately, I cannot disable the flash in my camera, to capture the light effects.]

Thinking about a future owner's possible preferences, I also have six cans about a foot from the walls in the ceiling of the 10 ft x 12 ft kitchen. The 42" fan does not create a strobe effect with the light from the cans.