Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can you tell me about Blanco Silgranit Sinks (pics please)?

Posted by sarschlos_remodeler (sarahschlos@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jan 15, 08 at 13:00

My contractor really wants me to go with a Kohler cast iron sink because he says the fireclay sinks are still ceramic and can chip (plus they are often wonky). While Kohler has some nice options (the smart divide sinks are pretty cool), I was really hoping to get away from scrubbing away at the little gray lines from pots and pans. On the internet, the Blanco Silgranit sinks look like a nice option, but I don't know anything about them?

Anyone with a silgranit sink, how has it held up as far as chipping, staining, stratches? Easy to clean? Color staying true? What's the skinny on these sinks? As far as price goes, these seem to be substantially less $$ than either a Rohl fireclay or Kohler cast iron sink, but how dow they hold up over time? I'm considering an undermount, so I want to be VERY sure of my sink choice. TIA!

Oh, and if you have any pictures, I would very much appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can you tell me about Blanco Silgranit Sinks (pics pleas

The Blanco Silgranit is a beautiful, beautiful sink! I would have gone with it had it not been for the fact that we have all SS appliances and I wanted to match them.

With that said, I have read nothing but excellent reviews and forum posts on the Silgranit. I drooled over several of them while trying to decide and it was quite easy to clean up. :-)

Go to the Blanco site for more photos of it.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco America site

o

My sister and my Mom both have one, and they love theirs. My sister's is a HUGE single sink, and my Mom's is a large 2/3, 1/3 (don't know the term for a double sink with one side larger). If I had known which granite we were getter when I was buying my sink, I would have gone with the silgranite. Supposedly VERY easy to clean, doesn't show marks, dirt, etc.

o

has anyone here with the Silgranit looked at the similiar Swanstone Granite (Quartz) sinks. trying to get some feedback on them without much success so far

Here is a link that might be useful: swanstone granite sinks

o

Mine is anthracite (black) and I absolutely love it. I'd post a pic, but can't seem to find my camera. Hopefully someone with one of the other colors will pipe in.

The sink gets abused in my house, and still looks new. No chips, stains, marks of any kind. When I think about it, about once a week, I give it a quick swipe with a dish cloth. No other care necessary. I do have soft water, which prevents spots.

o

Hmm. I don't have a water softener. If I'm going with a white, will I get yucky spots? Also, is the finished polished or honed? Not sure I want a shiny sink.

o
Spots

It is not polished, but not flat either, kind of a low sheen.

As to the potential for spots or hard water deposits around faucets, those will happen on any sink if you leave pools of water to dry. If you have this sort of build up in your current sink, you will have it in your new sink, regardless of what material you choose. White will show deposits less than darker colors.

o

Sarschlos-
We are happy to advise you here! I'm not sure what your contractor is thinking about when advising cast iron over fire clay or other materials with respect to chipping! So the first point is this: new cast iron is much more prone to chipping than alternatives! the new environmental laws have changed the enamel finish process and now these chip. You may likely end up with chips in a new iron undermount, and you will certainly have scratches. Can't speak for fireclay on chipping etc, but it has homogeneous color so it wouldn't be as ugly.

So welcome to the world of silgranit and others like it. I love my silgranit biscuit colored sink. It appears to be quite chip resistant, but if it did, the color is homogeneous through the whole thing, and there would be no color change. I haven't heard of these scratching, mine has no scratches (5 months old). As for finish, these sinks have a matte finish, they are not shiny. This was a big bonus for me, and it glows next to my soapstone without being glossy. When I was researching these, some people posted they have a plasticky look at first and then it goes away. Not sure how to describe this, but it's true. If you seem to notice that in a display, don't worry, it's not like that in real life. I think the reason is that these are thinner and more lightweight than you'd expect them to be. In the box, it seems less substantial than a really thick fire clay sink. Once it is undermounted, you don't know how thick it is and it seems much more substantial. They are very strong, and the thickness doesn't imply weakness.

Along the lines of keeping clean and avoiding those grey lines, you will want a new sink grate with your new sink. I thought it was a luxury indulgence, but now I can't imagine living without one! the pots actually don't touch and drag on the bottom, they are on the ss grate. It looks great, and it allows clean up to be even faster. My sink never seems to look dirty even if it does have dishes in it. There are no stains, no spots. By 5 months, my previous Kohler cast iron sink already had knife scratches galore. By two years of age, it was completely scratched and required more and more scrubbing to keep clean.

Hope this helps,
J

o

Wow. The more I read about these sinks, the more I like them. I was thinking of going with DuPont Zodiaq quartz counters. Will it look weird to have a silgranit sink with the quartz counters?

o

I love our bisque silgranite 1 and 3/4. The large side is big enough to wash large pans flat and the smaller side is still big enough to be useful, all in a standard 22 x 33 sink base. The sink is quiet, doesn't show water spots, and tomato sauce, coffee etc just rinse away. Water stays warm for quite awhile too. I don't this it will look weird with quartz counters. My granite is shiny the sink is more matte looking, and it looks great. I second the recommendation for the grids.

o

I would love to see a close-up picture of these as I can't zoom in on the website provided---anyone willing to post a picture?

o

Here's our black one. This photo is about 3 months old. I bought it because a friend installed one almost 2 years before and it still looked brand new. The whitish spots on the back side are just a reflection of the flash. I love this sink.
Photobucket

o

lisa_sandiego, what granite do you have? It is gorgeous.

Thank you!

o

Love my blanco silgranit super single bowl in metallic grey, which I ordered online from homeannex.com. A dish rack from Target sits upon the blanco sink grid.

Photobucket

o

Thanks Trudymom.
It's Amarillo Gold from Arizona Tile.
Lisa

o

I also love my silgranit super single in anthracite (black). Never would have considered one (previous sink was cast iron) until reading about them here. It really is very durable & looks great with a simple wipe down.

We have hard water here with no real problems. I have been known to leave things in the sink overnight w/o issue...wipes right up, honest! I have heard to oil it if it starts to dull, but I have not needed to...only been in for a couple of months now. (with toddlers throwing things in there that have made me cringe, but the sink has been fine through it all.)
Photobucket
HTH!

JoAnn

o

Thanks for all the info on this sink. I saw it at Home Depot but changed my mind because I thought with my hard water it would have spots on it all the time. I was also was not sure how well it would hold up. Sound like a great sink. I think that I might just get it. Home Depot was around $500. the other web site(homeannex.com)was I think around $ 359 with shipping. I will get the racks for the sink. Thanks for all the photos also.

o

I ordered the Blanco super single bowl in anthracite from Homeclick.com and it is great. Got a pretty good deal too it was 289.57 with free shipping. I have had it in for a couple of months and we are not gentle. It has withstood literally everything we have thrown at it. Cleaning comprises of a damp rag or sponge and it does not show any spots.

o

Everyone has already said how great they are and I agree but I want to make sure you know to check them REALLY carefully for invisible cracks every step of the way, when you get it, when its installed etc. Especially in the corners. Somewhere in the chain ours got a crack - you couldn't see it at first but then when dirt etc got into the microcrack you could.

Blanco is standing behind their product and is supposed to send me a new one but it will be extremely hard to get this undermounted sink out and a new one in.

Still they are awesome sinks and even with this added hassle I would pick them if doing it all over again - just be super picky about checking them (run a fingernail around and feel for cracks).

o

I LOVE my Blanco Super Single. Mine is white, my counters are Carrera marble. It is very easy to clean and holds everything! My last sink was SS and I like the Blanco so much more - no water spots!

My one word of warning - make sure whomever is installing it knows how to work with it. I ended up going through three sinks in 24 hours! First the counters guys were under-mounting the sink and it slipped from one's hands. The corner of the sink hit the plumbing and a big hunk broke off. The counter guy said he had seen this happen before with Blanco sinks.

Anyway, no big deal, the counter guys paid for a new one. Once that was installed my GC came to install my faucet. He started to drill through the sink and another hunk fell off!

Long story short... Drill any holes BEFORE the sink is installed, only at the pre-scored areas. (Because the sink was already installed under the counter, my GC couldn't see these.) Also, be careful at installation because the corners appear to be vulnerable.

Even with the complications we had, I would install this sink again in a heartbeat.

Nicole

o

Now I'm even more confused. I went to the store that carries the Blanco Silgranit Sink. He said that it's not an easy sink to keep clean. He said he usually sells them for outside use for a BBQ area. We do have hard water in our town and he said buy a stainless sink. Does anyone have anything to add?

o

I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my silgranit sink. It is the black 1 3/4 rounded at back undermount. My DH did not really want me to get it(color,etc,etc) but now he loves it too. I do not have any cleaning problems so far after 5 months. I did get the blanco sink grids and would not be without them now. That was a splurge for me and I had never had a sink grid before. FAbulous! My granite guys mounted it with no problems. I did check my sink over real well when I picked it up from supplier to make sure no cracks. By the way, the plumbing supply that I purchased from was somewhat negative about it but I think because they did not get as much commission from it. Nothing they told me seem to be based on real experience. I followed what I had read about them on net and from talking to a few people who had one...one of which was a customer in that same store. I have hard water but we have a softner. No spots

o

Kathy, I think your salesman has no actual experience with the sink.

I'm planing on getting the 'bisque' just because I think pale colors hide water marks better, but ease of cleaning seems to be the #1 feature people love about this sink.

o

Thanks for the input. The saleman owns the shop and said that he has sold sink for many years and has gotten a lot of bad feedback from people. It also was the first time that I saw it at a store. It was a dirty with a white powder on the sides. I was disapointed because I had seen a different brand at Home Depot and I loved it. I think that I am still going it get one.

o

I was able to buy the Blanco Silgranit anthracite (511-707) via eBay at a great price. It retails for $589, saw it in the store for around $370 and got it from homeandstone's eBay store for $297 + free shipping! It arrived promptly and I immediately checked it for any cracks, etc. found nothing. It was packed so well with the spray foam at some points more than a 1' thick! I can't wait to have it installed (we are still in early stages of demo/electrical work).

o

Some people are just a little hidebound, and hate to try new things. In Bozeman MT where new housing starts have been increasing by 100% EVERY YEAR for several years, there's still only one store that sells Schlutter products-- the number of tile floors and showers being built by inferior methods boggles the mind.

I think the salesman/owner in question probaly takes any complaint about silgranit as confirming what he already suspected, but assumes problems with other sinks are exceptions to the rule.

There was another thread a few months back where a couple of bad experiences were reported, so problems [as with anything] are possible.

But statistically, most people seem so pleased with these sinks I'm still giving them a go. If there is a large number of dissatisfied owners, I sure wish they'd pipe up before I order, though!

o

My silgranit sink is 9 months old, and still looks brand new. I love this sink!!! Boy, I would think that a stainless sink would be the worst for water spots with hard water :(

[IMG]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/lwink_photos/LindasKitchen016.jpg[/IMG]

o
Picture

Oops, lets try again

Photobucket

o

hmm,
This forum is really high traffic. I've been using it for well over a year, and I think I have never read an "I hate my silgranit sink" post. I have read many comments from people that love them, and there have been a few that mention a risk of cracking when corners are damaged in shipping/installation.

I have read a few "my contractor doesn't like, or "my salesman dislikes" comments, but not from owners. There are plenty of negative comments and discussion regarding various appliances and brands, so I don't really think there are hidden silgranit-owner-haters.

Our Biscuit silgranit sink has been in since June or July, and it is absolutely dreamy. Never looks grungy. We do not have hard water, but I don't think that would show much, and the sink is not designed to have water pooling to make deposits.

Go for it.

o

I have been following this thread, as well. That is really good to hear, sleepydrj, since I am weighing the ss Franke Orca or a biscuit or white Blanco silgranit double with equal sized bowls. I REALLY use my sinks, have a GD and worry about the silgranit staining, needing to scrub, clean or bleach it repeatedly. Esp. in spring and summer, I cut and dice tomatoes, the scraps go to into the sink; I pick over, wash, hull and slice 10 lbs of strawberries to freeze in "pick your own" season, etc. It all goes into the sink, and when I am done, I run the GD to get rid of it all. I don't even want to mention cleaning out the frige. SS shrugs all that off. But the silgranit sure looks nice and would save me a few hundred dollars. Am I going to be scrubbing all that off? Don't want to hijack this thread, but I would not plan on replacing a sink lightly. I wouldn't want to risk cracking expensive granite, so I would really like to get this right, and I bet sarschlos_remodeler feels the same.

Sue

o

In my experience, no you wouldn't be scrubbing that stuff off. My sink really doesn't stain. If I remove the sink grate, I can see very slight dinginess where the black feet of the grate rub. Don't get me wrong, it is faint darkness. It comes right off with bon ami. I do use the kitchen a lot. I haven't seen staining on the sink yet. I think I even peeled beets in the late summer, but can't really remember. Strawberries would not be any problem. It just doesn't stain in my experience.

o

That is great, it is good to hear from someone who has lived with and used one of the light colored ones for a while. Thank you.

Sue

o

So Silgranit is not anything like Swanstone?

I have Swanstone and really, really do not like it. Coffee stains it, tea stains it, tomato-based food stain it. Yes, Soft Scrub with bleach cleans it, but you have to either scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad or let the Soft Scrub sit for a while in order to whiten the sink.

Nan

o

We've had our black (anthracite) Blanco, like Lisa's for about 4 years now. We did our's as a drop-in, you can do it undermount or drop-in. We're going to granite counters just now in black, so we're switching to a stainless sink - just can't find a good shape w/ depths like this one! This material is tough, and you can take anything off the stove or out of the oven & sit it in the sink if you had to, it's good to well over 500 degrees plus.

o

sue ct, you definitely hit my issues. We really are hard on our sink, and although i know it might be gauche to admit it on this forum, we're not the tidiest family, and have been known to leave things sitting in the sink without rinsing/cleaning it out, sometimes over night (too tired to do the dishes). i am definitely scared by the number of comments about how carefully the sink needs to be checked over for fine cracks -- I'm nervous enough about going to an undermount sink -- and the possbility of staining, scratching and otherwise mucking up a new sink. I'm glad so many people seem to like their silgranit sinks, but I think I will probably stick with a Kohler cast iron.

o

We've been using our siligranit super single for several months now and I still absolutely love it. It's my favorite thing in my new kitchen. And it's so big! I call it my hot tub and I wish I'd had it when my kids were babies, it would make a great baby bathtub! Here's a pic of mine...you won't regret it if you get one! Good luck with your decision. This picture makes it look lighter than it is but it's the anthracite (black) and much darker in person.
Photobucket

o

Run away from the Kohler sink. We've had 2, only one by choice, and as much as you baby them they will scratch and if the scratch is deep enough the iron will rust and bleed through the scratch.

o

lindawink - Can you tell me the name of your beautiful granite?

Laurie

o

OK, here's the skinny: I'm no neatnik and DH has yet to comprehend the concept of rinsing a sink. Coffee, berries, all manner of stuff sometimes sits there. This is as bad as it gets with a week or two of total neglect and abuse. See there, the faint discoloration on the right side? That's it. And even that is hardly visible with the grid in place.(A cast iron would look awful under such conditions)

sink2dirty

And a swipe with Barkeepers's fiend...Voila! Like new.
sink3clean

Only complaint I've read is that one person felt the Bisquit color looked "dingy". There are flecks of grey in it and I could see where that might look "off" with some pure or clear counter colors. Do check the color tone against your counter. The Metalic Gray is a nice alternative if the Bisquit looks "off" with your counter.

Great sink.

o

msrose, my granite is called kenoran sage :)

o

I have a white 1 3/4. Love the size, the depth, but I would definitely not get white again because of staining. I think if you went with one of the dark colors you'd be very happy.

o

I love my blanco in biscuit color so far. Have had it about 1 month and nothing has stained it! I bought it online. I use the barkeepers friend about once a week (thanks to advice from here!)

Photobucket

o

We're renovating our kitchen in spring, but we did a few updates to our 22-year old kitchen (we bought it 2 1/2 years ago) and installed a Blanco anthracite black sink that was a 50% off floor model at Rona. I can honestly say it was one of the best products my husband and I have ever encountered! It doesn't chip, stain or scratch. I use cream Vim to clean it (a tip from the Internet) and the colour has stayed true for the past 2 1/2 years. When we renovate in the spring, we plan on buying the biscuit coloured Blanc Diamond Maxi single sink.

Trust me, you won't regret buying it!

Here's a pic. Keep in mind this is our kitchen in its current "before" state, with faux slate laminate countertops and very ugly original backsplash. This photo was taken just after I washed some dishes which is why it looks wet!

o

I am planning to install two sinks, one 24" in the island (which probably will have marble counters) and one 32" on my perimeter counters, which will be soapstone. I am considering doing Silgranit sinks for one or both sinks. Any input on the color of the sinks? Anthracite (black), biscuit or white. How do folks feel about anthracite on the marble island and SS sink for the soapstone counters? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
(In case this helps the kitchen will be a fairly large, open kitchen in a 1916 home. My appliances will all be SS except for the range which will be either a red Bluestar or a red American range. My cabinets will be cherry custom inset, floor oak.)

o

Mine is Moenstone, not Silgranit, but they are essentially the same thing. I've been using (and abusing) my sink for over 1 1/2 years and it is still perfect and easy to clean. Plus, it is quiet - no "bong" when something is set in it or sounds from the sink when water is run into it. I really love it.

We had a cast iron sink before and it was chipped and looked completely awful in no time.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Eventually Almost Mostly Finished Budget Craftsman Kitchen

o
mysterymachine question @crack when installing

mysterymachine - my husband just put ours in this afternoon and the corner cracked while installing it! do you think blanco will warranty this to send us a new one? Was a licensed plumber installing yours, and did that make a difference?

o

We have two bisque (under mounts) in our kitchen, one being the super single. They have been in use going on two years without any problems, there is nothing bad to be said about them once installed.

However, we did have transportation damage on several super singles before receiving one usable. Blanco was very responsive to the issues.

o

You guys have really convince me. I'm so grateful to find this thread.

For those who did a 24" drop-in Silgranite sink, did you use the pre-drilled hole on the right side, or did you somehow cork that and put your faucet in the back middle? Our sink will be under our kitchen window, and I'm nervous about putting the faucet off to the side like that.

Are you able to put any pictures in?

TIA - Cate

o

Can you use bleach to clean it?

o

You guys had me thinking about sink colors this morning at my sink. The lighter colors WILL show more neglect and cry louder for a rinse than the black. But as my sainted mother said: "Yeah, I want it to show dirt. That's how you know when to clean it!"

Sooooo, if like my mother (and me) you respond to visuals and/or shame, go light and rinse/wipe when the sink tells you. If you maintain self directed cleaning routines, and don't need your sink challenging those, then go dark.

That's my theory for today, and I'm sticking to it.

o

My theory is the opposite of CelticMoons:

I think the dark sinks hide stains, show crumbs and water marks, light sinks hide water marks, show stains [though I think it's supposed to take a lot to actually stain them].

I'm committed to this type of sink, but have no idea which color I want. Is the silgranite 'anthracite' the one with sparklie bits mixed in? I've seen that in some cab displays, and its not for me...

o

My anthracite siligranite does have little flecks in it that sparkle a bit. But for the most part it reads flat black. Not shiny or sparkly. I love mine. It always looks good. I guess I don't have hard water because I almost never have water spots on it(although I always did on my old stainless sink). I just wipe it with a soapy sponge and rinse it every night. I didn't want the metallic gray because I thought it looked too much like it was trying to look like stainless. And I ABSOLUTELY did NOT want stainless again.

o

I am nervous because our granite place took our Blanco silgranit single bowl sink with them after they templated - this was our second one because the first one we received was cracked - so I am really hoping they are careful with it. Is it normal that the granite place takes the sink to do the granite?

o

I'm also wondering if the installer has to be licensed in order for the sink to be replaced if it cracks during installation. Anyone know for sure?

Also, does Silgranit make vanity tops with integrated sinks (one piece)? Shower or bath tub surrounds?

Thanks.

o

It is normal that they want to take the sink for fabrication. We were very nervous as we went through 4 super single sinks before receiving one without cracks. (transportation problems). Fabricator did a fine job, they installed the sinks without any problems.

o

Have any of you Blanco sink fans drilled or tapped out additional faucet holes yourselves? It looks like it runs about $15 per hole to have it done by a merchant like homeclick or homeannex. It seems you are supposed to tap out discs that are scored on the underside, but reading about chunks of these sinks breaking off makes me think drilling would be safer. But then would I a need a special bit? Thanks.

o

We've got the gray/silver Blanco Diamond Double Equal. (Have a real cheap online source if anyone's interested.) It does not look like stainless - not even close. What it does look like is gray granite. This works great for us as our granite is whites/grays/purples/blues.

(BTW, we borrowed the samples from Expo with their blessing and brought them to the slab yard to figure out our color. I'd strongly recommend doing that.)

Here is a link that might be useful: best price we found

o

I'm very curious about sarahmorton's question- what do you do if you want more holes? Or do I leave that problem to the granite fabricator?

o

I also don't mean to hijack this thread - but what color of this sink would you recommend with cambrian black anqtique countertops and white cabs? I wonder if the black might be too monochromatic and if the white might look "off" with the color of my cabinets.

o

sarahmorton: My plumber knocked out the holes in my Silgranit sink. The instructions call for use of a ball-peen hammer. My plumber borrowed my DH's hammer for the job. The plumber didn't have any problems knocking out holes to accommodate my Delta Leland faucet set and the soap dispenser, which I had spaced out a bit. Each "hole" knockout is pre-incised or whatever. Anyway, one can easily see where a hole can be made.

o

Lisapico, I don't know the answer, but I have dark green counters, white cabinets and a white Moenstone sink and like the look. In my new house (in a year), I have been convinced to do a Silgranit sink. My question is, is white too white? The biscuit color actually looked better with one white cabinet sample I saw. I guess I need to choose cabinets/color first and then select the sink. Bottom line question--does anyone have a biscuit sink and if so, does it seem like "almond" or just creamy white?

o

I thought the white silgranit was a bit too cold a color. The biscuit is a bit warmer. I think of "almond" as a beige-tan color- this is not how the biscuit looks. Biscuit is more like a creamy off-white. Looks great with my black soapstone.
There are several photos of the biscuit color higher up in this thread. One photo has part of a white cabinet showing- you can take a close look at that to get a measure of the color.

o
New colours

Not sure if you have read my other post, but Blanco is coming out with two new sink colours - Cafe (a rich dark brown) and Biscotti (a french vanilla colour). Here's the Cafe which comes out in Canada in mid-April, while the Biscotti comes out in Canada in fall. Not sure about the US timing...

o

Can someone tell me what you use to clean your sink? I just got one about a month ago and haven't cleaned it yet. It still looks great! I'm afraid that I will scratch it.

TIA!

o

I wonder how different the French vanilla color will be from biscuit. You don't have a pix of that do you?

o

I had a black Blanco silgranite 50/50 sink installed last October. It was installed by the same people where I purchased my new granite counters (tropical brown). THey sold the sinks at their store and recommended Blanco over another silgranite manufacturer they also sold. THey said Blanco's color was solid all the way through so if it scratches the color will be same. Before I had a white ceramic sink and hated. It was hard to keep clean and scratched very easily from pots, pans & utensils. Hope my picture posts so you can see how the black sink looks with dark granite.

o

Thank you redroze for posting the cafe brown sink photo! I had just chosen this sink in the gorgeous cafe brown color, but hadn't quite decided whether to use it as a drop-in or undermount, but I love the way it is shown as an undermount with a positive reveal. My kitchen remodel is actually about 1-1/2 months away, but I'll have to post the pictures when it is completed.

o
No problem

No problem Marina!

Kelleg - unfortunately they haven't shown any pics of the French Vanilla yet. Sorry!

o
Blanco new Brown Sink

redroze,
Thanks for your picture of the blanco silgranit bown sink. Do you or anyone else out there recognize the granite pictured with the brown sink? I think the two go really well together. Would really like to know what that granite is however. Any ideas?

jb

o

Redroze: the countertop may be Silestone. We have picked Sienna Ridge - it has a brown, black and cream pattern. Hope this helps.

o

jb1176 - I agree, it looks very uniform and is most likely Silestone or some other quartz composite countertop. It's very unlikely that it's granite.

o

Undermount vs drop in for silgranit anthracite:
I know undermount is popular but we really dont like where undermount meets the counter, a hard place to clean as opposed to where drop in meets counter. Any drop in fans with the silgranit who feel clean up of counters isn't a problem?

thanks

o

Ours is currently drop-in. Frankly, a seam is a seam. You're going to have one regardless of how you install (though Hubby is scheming to come up with a flush mount for ours). Though I do have to say our installers did a good job so there's hardly any seaming at all - just the "lip" / raised area where sink meets counter.

o

They are showing the cafe brown on the blancoamerica website, along with the new performa series.

o

I have had my silgranit sink in black since November 2005 and it still looks new. I clean it with granite cleaner when cleaning the granite counter top since it is a granite composite and it really "sparkles". I bought it at Home Depot and love it!

o

I did my Blanco as a drop-in -- I think it looks pretty nice as a drop-in -- especially if you keep the lines clean and have just the single hole faucet and nothing else (i.e. I have no soap dispenser or hot water dispenser and my faucet is a Blanco pull down with the built in spray -- LOVE that too) .

You need to consider the difference in depth for YOU reaching the bottom of the sink if you undermount -- don't end up with a sink where you feel like the reach is always uncomfortable for you.

Mine is white (not horrid to keep clean) and I love the finish (not shiny).

o

We really want a white sink. For those with white (not biscuit), how easily does it stain, when compared to other sink types like cast iron? Can the sink be bleached, and after a thorough cleaning, is most or all of the stain gone?

o

lindamink...what color of countertops do you have??? And brand???

o

I strongly disagree with most! We just purchased a silgranit single bowl, under-mounted sink in bisque to add to our full kitchen remodel. We used our sink twice and it looks as if it were 10 years old. The clean up in very time consuming and for a new sink we are very dissatisfied!!! Would never recommend this sink and now we are stuck!

o

We have a white double Blanco granite sink. It's impossible to clean. We have tried numerous cleaners, chemical and natural, tried Barkeepers Friend and the Blanco sink cleaners. Nothing works. Would not recommend this sink to anyone.

o

HI,
I love our silegranite sink. We have anthracite with the other appliances in SS. We have a SS faucet. The sink is wonderful.. I have gone with cast iron in the past and I don't like SS but this I love. I have so many compliments on the sink. I have 4 young children and the sink holds up great. I will use a little vinegar and water miss to clean it and it looks great--we have had it for about 9 months now and it looks like it did the first day--hope this helps

o

We have a white double sink where the left side is larger than the right. It was purchased and installed by a professional contractor in 2005. In 2008 we noticed a small crack in the bottom of the left sink. Blanco was good to their warranty - they sent us a new sink, but we had to hire someone to remove the old sink and install the new one. It is now September, 2011 and we are having the same problem again. The left side is cracked, but this time, the crack is very large and it goes all the way through so the sink leaks. We are trying to find another brand of sink to fit the unusual opening, but so far, we have had no luck. We might very well be stuck getting another Silgranit sink even though we don't want one!

As far as cleaning the sink goes, you do have to be careful with pots and pans because they will leave a grey mark if they rub on the sides of the sink. I have found that a Magic Eraser works pretty well on those marks, and, every couple of months I fill the sinks with warm water and a couple of capfulls of bleach. I let it sit until the water cools off, then, while the sinks are draining, I scrub them with a scrubber sponge. That gets them pretty clean. I do wish that I had purchased a good quality stainless steel sink when we did our kitchen re-model in 2005 instead of the Silgranit sink.

o

WARNING! I was so excited to get the brown siligranit sink. I cleaned it with the BLANCOCLEAN as recommended online but recently I saw that BLANCO now says this cleaner is NOT recommended for dark colors. There was NOTHING on the bottle stating this. The luster has not come back in spite of rinsing, wiping, using only mild soap, rinsing again and wiping. I am very disappointed.

o

I didn't read this whole thread, but I noticed how the negative posts from Izzie123 and jlcm are both posters who signed up to the Gardenweb the same day they posted. Then Katie on Dec. 4 and Lyndon on May 8 wrote negative posts, but they sign in with the kind of name that doesn't need a MyPage (I never know how those work).

We've had our Silgranit sink installed almost 2 years. Love it. It looks like the day it was installed, and we have not been careful whatsoever. The easiest sink I have ever had. Would never go back to stainless steel.

o

Last night I rubbed olive oil all over the sink (cafe brown). So far, it looks beautiful. Hopefully, the look will not go away

o

I put had a black blanco silgranit sink put in 5 years ago, we are rebuilding after a house fire and I plan on using the same sink.

o

I am planning on putting in a black silgranit sink with uba tuba granite countertop. Can anyone tell me about the upkeep, stains, water spots, etc on the silgranit sink? thanks

o

Ours, (Anthracite) has been in only a couple months now, but I can honestly say I love this sink! We have very hard water, and no spotting problems so far. It is a breeze to just wipe down, or leave alone. Easily on my list of "best improvements" of our 27 year old kitchen re-fresh...

o

We had a Blanco sink and had no problems with it......just installed new granite tops and went with the Swan granite sink simply because they had the sink in stock and gave us a great price on it, plus the cutting layout for undermounting was in the CNC machine already. It's been a month but sofar we love it! It's a 3/4 - 1/4 bowl layout with the low divide.

o

Does anyone have the silgranit sink with under mount with the side drainer. I was wondering how the side drainer holds up regarding scratches etc.

o

We have café brown Silgranit sinks. They have been installed over 2 years now and I love them both. Both of them are easy to clean. I use 409 on a sponge a couple of times a week and it seems to do the trick.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And in our island, the granite is honed Antique Brown and the café brown sink looks to be about the same very dark matte color. There are no flecks of metal in the brown sinks. I bought sink grids for both sinks, but seem to use it regularly in the large single prep sink only for rinsing veggies and fruit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here