Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

More than the bling--invest in infrastructure!

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

Although you've heard these cautions ad nauseum, here's one more: Invest in infrastructure!

Don't cut corners in your priorities! Structure and foresight are more important than other stuff! Think through the systems in your house and plan the best investment you can in safety, energy conservation, mold prevention, wise electrical installation, and optimal flow pattern for humans, critters, air, water, humidity, pollutants, waste.

Just got an email from a friend who has such terrible water damage from ice dam on roof of 1950s two-story house that her family has to move out. Water has been running inside the walls. Floors are ruined, window trim is warping, drywall had to be torn out and they're going to have to replace siding which is warped--so urgent that they can't wait for spring! Fans running throughout the building to fight potential mold.

This home is owned by people who are not fools and are probably like many other homeowners in their priorities. They knew the house was aging but they have 3 in college and that's where their money goes. Their kids have all traveled to Europe and the parents live comfortably and are both employed. In past, they have fixed up and flipped a number of similar postwar houses in the Mpls. western suburbs. The friend has great taste and can make these older houses look good. But she's not a carpenter, she's a designer and it's clear she and hubby neglected the attic insulation issue as well as roof flashings, passage through the house for humid air, and perhaps the guttering.

DH and I are not entirely guiltless in this kind of thing--we found one patch of rot inside our old front entry walls when we ripped it off. It had been installed by us in 1976 remodel with a lot of hubris. It can happen to anyone, I suppose.

You should see all the icicles and ice dams along edge of roofs there are in some Minnesota neighborhoods this year. Ice dams are the subject of many newspaper pieces and the hospitals are seeing more injuries than previously because people are messing around on their own roofs in the icy cold without help and skill. A few people have died from falls from roofs.

No, wires and insulation and pipes and structural reinforcement and air exchange and 2x4s ain't sexy and no, there is no longer an energy tax incentive on federal level. But address those infrastructure issues before you think about paint colors and fancy appliances and cabinets.

Comments (13)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Arrggghhhh, you're not kidding. I had recurrent problems with frozen water pipes in my kitchen, and my renovation was supposed to include moving the pipes and putting in extra insulation. When the temp hit 30 below this week and my pipes froze again, I found my contractor hadn't bothered to follow the plan. :-( Now I need to have the ceiling in the room below opened up to complete what was supposed to have been done before.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Thanks florantha. Words of wisdom for sure. Just wanted anybody who is planning on doing any energy improvements that the credit was extended until the end of 2011. However, the credits are less:

Home improvement tax credit: 10% of cost of the home improvement, up to a maximum of $500.
    Expiration: December 31, 2011
    Eligibility: Must be on an existing home & your principal residence. New construction and rentals don't qualify.
    Reduced max credits: Some items have reduced maximum tax credits now as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info on tax credit 2011

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Good advice Floratha. Having lived in a historic district for 20+ years, it's amazing how many people put far too much importance on decorating as opposed to structural & mechanical issues. Sometimes it seems as if the paint is all that's holding the house together! And it's usually 100+ years of paint because no one bothered to remove it before they painted again.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Florantha- Excellent advice! It's fun to look at the 'pretties' but peace of mind comes from knowing your pretties...and your family...will be protected, regardless of weather.

Another thing to think about...how long can you really burn wood in your fireplace? A lot of old and new homes have wood fireplaces that aren't meant to burn continuously for four to five days. When we lose power (ice storms, etc.) there are always news stories about several chimney fires.

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just got another message and some photos from the friend. Because we have a warmup right now and the furnace has been cranked up, the trapped water is literally thawing and running down the walls. That old spongy "BuiltRite" wallboard is entirely saturated. She's not sure how much of this will be paid for by insurance. Thought she could wait until spring--compounded the trouble.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

My infrastructure work last summer ate my bathroom reno, so I'm on this forum to satisfying my need to spend some $ on something I can actually see and touch, as opposed to the roof, the spendy special order oil tank, the roof, the sill work, the new siding....

Good if painful advice!

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Yup - We are looking at supplemental floor heat, and a second tankless water heater, and temp balanced faucets, as well as waterproofed backer board to the ceiling under the tiles in the showers, and extra insulation in a few spots. DH wonders why I have red pen all over the draft spec sheet!

• kevinw1
    13 years ago

Umm, yes. And when you notice moss growing on your siding when it shouldn't be, investigate sooner rather than later. We discovered the whole NE corner of the basement pony wall, sill plate to top plate, was so rotten you could push a finger through the studs. No woodstove for us in 2010!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Oh yes, good advice! It's so hard to spend money on the hidden things... but so important. We can attest to the need for a reliable battery backup for the sump pump.

And for anyone getting water dripping from the ceiling, I have read (and done this) that you should poke a small hole in the lowest part of the water spot. It seems like a bad thing to poke a hole in your ceiling, but when you do the water can drain out in one place rather than spreading, so the damage is actually less.

Sorry to hear about your friends florantha. Here's wishing them the best of luck in getting their home back in order.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Good advice

When it comes to forces of mother nature - Good building, structure come first -

Plan B should always be considered

We live in Ct - and the snow build up on roofs is causing collapse of some.

-We are having some guys come today to remove snow from our roofs - No damages yet, and fine structure (1930 Dutch Colonial revival)

- Back up battery operated sump on order -Eventually this will melt - Hmmm where is it going to go?

• thrilledtobuild
    13 years ago

Thanks for this message, florantha! The hubby and I were just discussing where to trim the construction budget and I'm grateful to have your message to reinforce our priorities!

• jiggreen
    13 years ago

Great posting! It's too easy to get caught up in the "pretty" stuff....and want to skip ahead or ignore what can't be seen. Thank you for the advice and the reminder to take care of the important things first!

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is an experiment--will the Garden Web allow me to revive this thread?

Just want to say that friends that had ice dams last year have recovered. They had multi-month reconstruction projects and lots of difficulties but things worked out. Lucky for all that they had insurance. Not the way that you want to initiate a kitchen project.

Remember infrastructure...it will be more important than fashion as the years go on.