Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Slab math--can I get no seams?

crl_
9 years ago

We are hoping to go quartzite slab looking soon. I'm wondering if we can possibly get our kitchen counters and bathroom vanity out of one slab with no seams.

I found a 2 cm slab I like online that measures approximately 133 x 76. Obviously I need to see it in person, find out cost and test it. But if it, or one of the same size, suits how does the math play out?

My sink run is 120 inches long and we want a four inch backsplash on that run only--it is shallower than standard so the countertop depth will be 24 inches. And we will need to allow for a mitered edge. Then the L between the refrigerator and range needs 45 inches on one leg and 57 inches on the other. (Tile backsplash here). The other side of the range needs 36 inches (tile backsplash here). Both of those runs are standard depth. If possible, it would be nice to squeeze a 30 by 21 inch vanity top out of the slab too.

My very shaky math skills suggest that the pinch comes in trying to get the L to fit into the 76 inch dimension along with the sink run and it's backsplash. Pure addition seems to suggest it just barely fits. But I'm not sure how much material is needed for the mitered edge on the countertop. Nor am I sure how much waste/excess/room for error to account for.

I guess I would like to have some idea before we go looking so I know whether I really should concentrate on the few slabs that are this big or if it is futile.

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Buy 2 slabs.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okaaaayyy. So that's not really addressing my questions. I'd like to understand the reasoning behind that piece of advice.

Is the issue that I can't get no seams out of one slab? Or is it that I can't get enough material out of one slab? Because if it's just the no seams part, but I could get enough material if I allowed for a seam at the L, I'd probably opt for a seam at the L rather than purchasing an entire second slab.

Or if it's the bathroom vanity piece that makes it not work, I would probably buy one slab and a remnant or switch to engineered quartz for the bathroom vanity.

Or maybe there's something else I'm missing. But without more information, I can't tell. Nor can I figure out if some variation on the theme would work out--like if I found a 130 x 78 inch slab. . . .

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You've got the added complication of both needing a backsplash and a mitered edge, and a material that has the irregular patterns of Mother Nature. There simply isn't enough desirable material to accomplish that goal. Not unless you don't care what the features of the slab will look like when placed in the kitchen. There is always waste when you try to template to account for creating the most beautiful patterns to their best advantage. You might be able to get your kitchen out of the one slab, but I wouldn't count on it. Buy 2, and you can be happy at how it's cut to show the stone to it's best advantage.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

crl_:

You need to shop for a fabricator before a slab. It's your money, but his name's on the job forever. That means whatever he is comfortable with as far as yield and risk.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It might look very different in person. Or there might be issues only a fabricator would see. But I can see how I would lay things out in this slab and each piece would be lovely and the flow in the kitchen would be good.

I have a GC. We talked about countertop options. He suggested we go look at quartzite and suggested a stone yard. He said he has a great fabricator. He said if we go look and happen to just love something, the yard will hold it for quite some time. So I'm trying to just get my game plan in place in case we do find something we like. It's very difficult for us to coordinate during the work day trips to do things like look at stone so I'd like to focus as best we can.

Sounds like the answer is we most likely cannot get everything out of one slab.

Thank you.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Be sure to be there when they template the counters so you can be sure the seem is where you want it.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I went "seamless" in my old kitchen. The fabricators beat the *&^* out of my kitchen trying to wrangle the piece into place. They beat up the front edge of the vent hood; they beat up the backsplash piece on my Viking range and the front landing area (both stainless steel); they beat up several cabinet doors, too. The vent hood edge and the backsplash piece could be replaced. The doors were refinished by the cabinetmaker. But the front landing area bore the scars forever. If they had told me that it was going to be difficult for them to get the piece into the house, I would have gladly opted for a seam.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I definitely plan to be there for templating. This site taught me that thank goodness.

I am so sorry to hear about the trouble getting an L shaped piece I to place. Mine seems fairly small, I wonder if it would be difficult.

I don't suppose it would make a ton of difference, but if it would get me down to one slab, I would be willing to drop the backsplash piece and do that in tile too. Sounds like we might need to put two slabs on hold and then see how much the fabricator can do with just one.