Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

Help me with a tide me over reno for $1200 or less

mabeldingeldine_gw
13 years ago

We are slowly working through our 1881 Cape. A "small" repair job last summer ate my bath reno budget, so I'm consoling myself with a freshening-up of the kitchen. My budget is $1200 or less.

I'm thinking new laminate atop existing, new Silgranite sink in Anthracite, new faucet, new backsplash -- maybe tin ceiling panels or sheet copper.

I'm considering Formica Metal Sky as the laminate, but can't visualize it. What do you think?

Finally, should I paint the cabinets? Paint just the doors and drawer fronts?

Naturally, it is all DIY. Below are a couple of photos and a link to the laminate. THANKS for any help/suggestions/advice!

(since this photo was taken, we added a microhood)

>

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Sky

Comments (26)

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

oooh, I really like your kitchen! (and breakfast nook) Lots of personality and charm. I think your choices for sprucing up are really good. The biggest change I would suggest is lighting. I would definitely change the light fixture for something with more personality; try Rejuvenation.com for a great selection of historically accurate fixtures. If at all possible, it would be great to snake wiring through your ceiling and install another light fixture in front of the non-sink window. (But that's a big if.)

You might consider painting the walls behind your open cabinets in a slightly different color than the rest of the wall, to tie together your lovely ceramic collection better and highlight those great colors. I can't tell what your backsplash material is, but you might want to consider just painting it with a powerful primer/sealer rather than spending money on another material. When you move forward with more kitchen work, your tin/copper panels would probably not be usable, but paint is cheap cheap and you could change the color and/or do a faux finish.

The anthracite Silgranite sink is a great choice. We've had 2 of those sinks. In our current home, we topmounted the sink with Ikea butcherblock. Year$ later, we replaced the counters and undermounted the same sink. The ability to undermount or topmount the same sink is one of the wonderful things about your sink choice--it gives you great options when money becomes more available.

Good luck with your great kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting?

• Fori
    13 years ago

Cutest kitchen EVER. I wouldn't paint the cabinets unless you just don't like them. Visually, they work.

I think that laminate will be good, and ceiling panel backsplash would be perfect.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I don't think I'd paint the cabinets unless you hate them or are dying for painted cabinets.

I would consider painting the ceiling to take out the stark white. I would look at your wall color mixed at 10-20% of the wall value, but you could also do a complimentary color. If you darken the counters, you may want to lighten the wall color.

I think new countertop, sink and splash will go a long way to updating your kitchen. I agree that new lighting could make a big difference too. Lift and balance the one over the sink, or at least lift it to minimize the imbalance.

The other thing I would consider is taking down the open cabinet between the windows and making that actual open shelves. Maybe put one valance over the whole span. I get distracted by all the lines and boxiness and would like to see the windows and light more, especially since I see green on the outside.

For your backsplash -- you could do the metal, but I'd probably go with sheets rather than tiles if you think this is shorter term. I also think I might like the simpler look rather that a lot of detail in a small space. You can also paint it or have the laminate come up a few inches to protect the edges and then paint the rest. I'd keep it simple.

Have fun.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>The other thing I would consider is taking down the open cabinet between the windows and making that actual open shelves. Maybe put one valance over the whole span. I get distracted by all the lines and boxiness and would like to see the windows and light more, especially since I see green on the outside.

Yes, great suggestion, lascatx! I was thinking the same thing. The one that bothers me about the kitchen is the heavy cornices on top of the uppers. If you want to paint, mabeldingeldine, I'd consider just painting the uppers to help them recede a little and leaving the base cabinets as they are.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments and the great ideas! I do like the idea of painting the upper cabinets as the cornices are indeed heavy. I suspect DH won't agree to removal, but the idea of open shelving intrigues me.

Now, what about this Franke Farmhouse pulldown faucet? At 16+ inches is it too big?

Here is a link that might be useful: Franke Farmhouse faucet

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

That's a handsome faucet and would fit in well with the rest of the kitchen, but yeah, it's big. Almost all the pulldown faucets are. So you need to decide if you're comfortable with having a faucet that stands up in front of the window. That's totally your choice. If you think it will bother you, look for a pullout instead.

• dar5
    13 years ago

Any easy fix would be to add inexpensive light-colored bamboo blinds (same color as the cabinets), mounted at the ceiling...the blinds could cover some of the cornice without taking away light and even out the line on top.

I'd leave cabinets alone, and repaint inside color to something warm with less contrast and let the pottery and dishes make the statement. It would make the wall appear larger.

I'd also redo the counters, and remove and paint the backsplash if it's not in the budget.

It's a very cute kitchen...

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still_lynski, you suggested snaking the wiring to add lighting. This is something DH and I have talked about often. Do you have any idea how difficult it is?

I'd love to add a second light over the other window. Even more I'd love to add recessed lighting over the peninsula counter and bag the existing ceiling fixtures.

Any DIY suggestions are welcome!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love all the great ideas... Your kitchen is adorable.

I vote on lighting. Spend your money on lighting.

Counters. Paint and Seal them. Super cheap and easier to
    do than you would think. Use auto paint. The fumes will be
    horrific but it will look splendid.

~boxer

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint a laminate countertop

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

My recommendation - Paint it, paint or re-stain cabinets if you want to, change that open cabinet for shelves (extend the top shelf above the windows, and replace anything that is absolutely falling apart.

Anything else you put into a temporary reno is just wasted time and effort.

• User
    13 years ago

Consider a HD Pegasus granite composite sink instead of a name brand one. We've had one for almost 2 years and it has held up very well, still looks like the day we installed it, and we are hard on stuff, aren't obsessive about clean and have big, heavy pots that are washed in it regularly. The 33" (I think) single bowl is about $325.

Nice kitchen and great suggestions by all.

sandyponder

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandyponder. Tell me about the Pegasus sink? Does it feel like granite or more like Corian?

I wish I could paint the backsplash, but it is a truly hideous tile. More and more recent, photos are below with the microhood and new tea cabinet we added.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Can you sew? Fabric at the windows could help you pull together a lot of colors and textures for a very low price. Single color? colors in a tonal gradient? a print? a texture?
    Here's a supergraphic fabric used in roman shades in a mod kitchen with open shelving. Blinds can be mounted so that when retracted they do not overlap windows. [from The Kitchn tour on gray kitchens]

Here is a link that might be useful:

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

You had asked about fishing electric wires through the ceiling. It's a tedious and frustrating job, and a lot of electricians simply won't do it. It will be reasonable for you to DIY if your joists are heading the right way. (As you prob know, joists are like studs, but in the ceiling.) If yours are marching across the ceiling, from one window to the next, then it will be very difficult and you would have to cut out drywall from the ceiling and patch it later. UGH. If the joists are running the other way, from the window to the peninsula, it will be tedious but not so bad. Do you know which way your joists run?

• User
    13 years ago

mabeldingeldine-

OK, to me, our sink feels just like the Silgranite ones, but I know there are people here who will tell you otherwise. I have to be honest and say that I would have never spent the $$ on Silgranite, a designer sink isn't where I want to spend my (very limited) kitchen budget. We were planning to get a cheapie stainless single bowl, but when we saw the big single bowl fauxgranite with a $325 price at HD (in black), we grabbed one and threw it in the big orange cart.

The feel is not hard like a granite counter, but not as silky as Corian, if that makes sense. It feels substantial but not unforgiving, and we have dropped things in there and have had nothing break so far.

HTH-

sandyponder

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Re: snaking wires: is there finished space above, or attic? If it's attic, it's SUPER easy :)

We have rewired just about our whole house at this point. It's a PITA but definitely one of those jobs that you don't need to hire a skilled craftsman to do. A decent home-repair book should give good instructions, or I am sure there are some on line. I found this quickly on line:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rewiring

• ironcook
    13 years ago

your kitchen is so great, in so many ways.

i think you are the right track with the ways to spend your money.

but i'm wondering if your laminate choice is a bit dark?

i kind of prefer the lightness the current color adds to the kitchen.

just mho. enjoy!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Ah! That's what was bothering me about the center cabinet. I agree, I think open shelves will open that area up. I'm not an "open shelf" person, but if you are and you will have them, don't make them "heavy" (that's what the cabinet boxes are doing to them right now).

Is this a temporary remodel or the only remodel you plan for many years to come?

If temporary for only a couple of years, I would probably skip some of the items in your list and put the money you save toward the full-scale remodel in the future. Only do what you think will (1) make your kitchen function much better and (2) be part of the full-scale remodel (like the sink & faucet...as long as you keep them then!) I would probably just paint the backsplash, not put the time and $$ into it now.

If, however, this is the only remodel you plan, then I would do whatever you can w/the $$ you have now...but just what you really want. If there are some things you want but cannot afford right now, wait until you've saved more to do what you really want. Since it's DIY, you can do it piecemeal as you save up $$.

As to the cabinets, I could go either way...I do prefer wood (natural or stained), but you have a lot of wood already so painting would probably be OK.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you go darker on the counter, then you need to go lighter on your wall or risk it getting a dark closed in feeling.
    I agree about removing the uppers and doing open shelves. That would not cost very much but would be a lovely change. I'd do the one between the windows as a priority. The other ones are not as necessary. On the bright side, it would be easier to repaint if the upper cab was taken down and before new shelving was added.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I highly doubt I will ever totally renovate the kitchen. We've actually done a bit to it already, added a dishwasher, the microhood, and the cabinet to the right of the range. The cabinets are custom oak, not what I would choose, but solid and functional. If anything I would paint or reface them as they are looking a little worn. The current layout is highly functional and with a bigger sink it will be just about perfect.

I'd love soapstone countertops, but honestly can't see it happening without a winning lottery ticket.

This little bit of work will probably have to last for a while. Our next big project will be the primary bath.

As for fishing the wire...I don't know what way the joists run, so will try and figure that out. I might even cut the drywall, much as I hate that idea, but we already have another drywall repair looming and a third one in process, so this might be the excuse I need to sub that work out!

I am liking the open shelf idea a lot. This forum is amazing, so much help! Thank you all for your excellent suggestions!

• function_first
    13 years ago

Lauren Liess of Pure Style Home blog posted her own kitchen makeover a while back --- it is very inspirational, she made a huge change just with paint and adding open shelving. I think your kitchen has the same potential -- putting beadboard behind the open shelves would be cool in your kitchen as it would echo the other beadboard (or board and batten) walls you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pure Style Home at Blogspot

• calimama
    13 years ago

I am no engineer, but if that big wooden beam you have running through there is structural, likely your joists are perpendicular to that. Still, fishing through the joists is still a DIY project. I vote lighting, backsplash (inexpensive and simple)and love the open shelf idea!

Your counter looks in good shape, and it is a nice neutral color. If you were to square the ends of the penninsula, you could probably get open stock counters from HD or Lowes,etc. which are MUCH less expensive than the custom laminate. I don't know though, the rounded counter is pretty cute!

Cute kitchen! I love a good reno challenge! Can't wait to see what you can accomplish with $1200, that should be fun.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen! I'd get a new light and take a vacation!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

It's totally cute. Paint the white ceiling, change the light fixture to something a little less boring and have a vacation.

If you to do a little more, IKEA butcher block some counter tops. I think countertops add more than anything since that's what folks notice when they are looking at their food stuffs :)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Your kitchen has a lot of potential with just a few changes. For lighting you could go with a flexible track with different fixtures so you can direct the light. These are available at stores like Lowe's and HD.

I wouldn't paint the lower cabinets even if they are worn. Start off with painting the peninsula, change some of the uppers to shelves and paint the rest.

Check out craigslist and similar options for wood counters and backsplash materials. You don't need a large amount so there should be some good finds. If you are handy, DIY wood counters from salvaged wood are easy.

You have the perfect kitchen for an apron sink with curtains below. They are expensive, but you can get some pretty good deals on closeouts.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Several folks have suggested painting the ceiling. I like this idea, and was thinking about a creamy yellow, but I'm fashion-impaired. what color would you suggest?

BTW, the large overhead fixture will be replaced with a small similar overhead fixture for general lighting, as that is the switch at the doorways.

ALSO, I tried to go with the open shelves, but no go from DH. Yet.