Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Help me pick a grout color for my backsplash?

phiwwy
11 years ago

I have to decide by the end of today. Thoughts? or is it too hard to tell from the photo?

Thanks - I have another question but will upload the photo in my next post.

Comments (21)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

It's so hard to tell colors on monitors, but I feel like I'm liking the second from the left or the farthest right, although I worry that one may have a pink undertone.

As for the tiling, I would go all the way up if there is going to be trim to the ceiling on those cabinets that flank the hood. If not, I think I'd stop under the hood. That tile is going to look amazing in your kitchen and I love the herringbone pattern!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I assume you are trying to match, not contrast the grout. I like the second from the left or the far right also.

I also agree with wi-sailorgirl about tiling above the hood.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

This is just one opinion, but from my screen, the grout colors all look a bit too dark for your beautiful backsplash. With that shade of gray tile, I'd prefer to see a lighter gray or even a cream or white, to give the tile some contrast and to pull in the lighter colors from the counter.

Is there a way you can create a tile board with grout and put it next to the counter?

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I like the 2nd from the right. I wouldn't tile above the hood.

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

I like the far right.
    I wouldn't tile above the hood.

Love your kitchen! What granite did you use?

• enduring
    11 years ago

Your tile is beautiful. Try the sample board idea. And try a light color too like Pipdog suggests. I think stopping at the bottom of the hood is ok, but if you have a crown molding to the ceiling at those cabinets I think that total area tiled between the cabinets is the way to go.

Without crown the paint above the hood and cabinets are tied nicely together with just tiling to the hood.

• sail_away
    11 years ago

My immediate reaction, without overthinking it, is the second from the left. Of course, that's based on how it looks on my monitor.

Can you provide details about your tile? Name? Size? Where you bought it? I really like it.

• sail_away
    11 years ago

Accidental double post---sorry. I'll use this opportunity to add that you kitchen is beautiful. I'm sure it will look lovely, whatever grout you choose.

This post was edited by sail-away on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 14:56

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'd like to also see a lighter color, esp to make the herringbone pattern stand out.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oy - thanks! To clarify a few things:

Yes those cabs flanking the hood will be finished with crown to the ceiling, and will return to the hood wall/tile assuming the tile is there, which I am still leaning towards.

I kind of like the idea of the slightly lighter, contrasting grout - which perhaps the 2nd from the right will accomplish? Note that the grout lines are 1/16" = very tight. Because the tiles are hand glazed - there is variation especially at the edges, which appear lighter. Do you think that alone will be enough variation to make the pattern stand out?

Here's an inprogress photo.

Love any additional comments! This is so helpful! Thanks so much!

BTW the counter is bianco antico and the tile is Red Rock, 2x8, glaze color is Twig.

Granite is bianco antico.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

That looks awesome! Love the herringbone.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Looking good! I would go even lighter than the grout in your photo. I'm thinking cream. BUT I'd do a test board to see how it looks against the counters. Without some contrast or color variation in the grout, I don't think you'll notice the herringbone pattern as much. I love your choice of backsplash tile!

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

Well, the finish of the cabinets changes everything. In that case, I would tile to the ceiling. It looks like there's a lot of variation within the tiles themselves. I think you should definitely do a sample board.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

While every monitor renders differently (than each other or reality), I think I like the far right one the best. It seems close to the overall shade of the tile (mostly picking up on the lighter tone from the transparency) and seems to have the right balance of coolness/warmth to go with the tile. I like the second from the left a close second best. It seems a little darker and seems to blend well with the tile. I wonder if it has a little bit of an green hue? If not, then I think this one would work really well too. The far left seems too cool/blue for your tile. The middle one seems too dark. And the second from the right seems too light. I think you're automatically going to get some contrast because the tile seems to look a little lighter in the center (presumably from the transparency of the glass) and will already help highlight the beautiful herringbone pattern.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Hey Phylhl, that is beautiful!! and they centered nicely at the stove center:). You are going to love this. I can't wait to see the total installation.

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

PLEASE post a pic when you are done...still hunting for backsplash for our bianco antico...

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's done and grouted! We absolutely love it. It's amazing how much brighter our kitchen feels now. I guess the primer on the wall was sucking up light.

As far as the grout color - I tried 3 colors and other than the name (Hemp, from Laticrete) I have NO idea which one on the sample board that it corresponds to! It was one of the lighter ones, I know that. And it was not the far right one, that was Tech mocha, which I tried and it had just a little mauve hue.

Anyway it's in and we are thrilled. Thanks for all of the help and opinions!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more pix - the tile guys did a fantastic job!

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the whole thing!!

• enduring
    11 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! That looks so good with your counter. And the large shot of you whole room is beautiful. The texture of the herringbone plays so well with the stairwell and kitchen cabinets. It sings!