Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
painterly_gw

deciding factors- choosing a granite fabricator?

painterly
13 years ago

Hello, everyone!

First, let me thank you all for the wonderful granite referrals- They all turned out to be great companies!

We have narrowed them down to 4, but each one has a little something different about them. Can you all give me input on what -if any- factors would sway you in one direction or another?

company #1- $2400, said they "can do if you want" French Miters, digital templating, CNC fabrication. Is not BBB accredited, but has an A- score on their website. No warranty at all. Turnaround time is 4-5 days from the time of templating.

company #2- $2700, uses French Miters, digital templating, CNC fabrication. IS BBB accredited and has an A+. As standard practice, this company does rodding (steel reinforcement rods) wherever there is a sink or cooktop cutout. Also does back gauging (smoothing out the underside of the overhang) as standard practice. Those elements are included in the price. 10 year warranty. Turnaround time is 7-10 days from the time of templating.

company #3- $2800, uses French Miters, digital templating, CNC fabrication. website says they are BBB accredited but a search on BBB says they are not, however has an A- as a grade. 1 year warranty. Turnaround time is 10-14 business days from the time of templating.

company #4- $2800, uses French Miters, digital templating, CNC fabrication. Could not find them on the BBB at all. Have done some huge projects here in DC, and seems to have won quite a number of awards. 1 year warranty. Turnaround time is 7-10 days from the time of templating.

They all seem to be great companies, but each one has pros and cons- prices, turnaround, warranty, extras like the rodding and back gauging, etc.

What do you all think? Now that I have written it all out, it is becoming clearer to me, but I would love some more feedback. Thank you so much again!

Comments (13)

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Option 1, without the warranty, would scare me.
    How long has the other 3 been in business? Do they have references?

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good question, Jilsee! Hmm I have to check my notes, but I am 90% sure I only considered companies that have been in business for more than 10 years. I will go double check that!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

I talked to lots of KDs and found out which fabricators they used.

I then called the fabricators and asked which display kitchens they had done and went to go look at them.

I looked on BBB website.

Then narrowed those down by price because there was quite a difference.

Did not care about turn around time at all.

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Great thread! I will use this criteria to evaluate the Denver fabricators you guys have suggested. Thanks to all!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Might want to check yelp on them too and see if there is any entries there.

• carybk
    13 years ago

I would be very wary of companies that are saying they have BBB accreditation but you find they don't. I would think Option 2 based on your summary.

• stannley
    13 years ago

Can I ask some questions about some of the terms you discuss in your posting?
    What does CNC fabrication designate?
    What's the difference between French Miters and others?
    I presume digital templating is a more precise method of creating a template.
    Finally how much difference do the steel reinforcement rods/backgauging make?
    Thanks in advance for the education!

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I can't tell you how comforting it is to have you all here as a soundboard- you are all so wonderful!

Jilsee, here is the info on their years in business:

Company #1- 5 years in business

Company #2- 10 years in business

Company #3- 7 years in business for the original LLC, who bought out a few other companies and made them part of the original.

Company #4- 11 years in business

marcydc- I would use yelp, but after a nightmare with the only contractor we used on this remodel (plumber), I realized that despite Yelp's efforts to stop companies from posting fake good reviews for themselves, it still happens a LOT. My plumbing contractor ended up being a drug addict and felon who not only had his friends post amazing reviews for him on yelp, but was using a license that was not for his business- it was for a family member's business. He did terrible work, and we ended up having to redo a good portion of it. We ended up paying him because he was so unpredictable and volatile, we just wanted him to leave us alone. I just don't trust Yelp anymore.

So, I agree- the non warranty issue is a problem, as well as the company who claims they are BBB accredited but are not. I am also leaning towards #2.

Anyone else have feelings about it?

Thanks all!!!

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

2,3,or 4. I would try and find out the BBB problem ie, why they're not listed. if they're lying, big red flag.

#2's practices "sound" better.

have you seen the countertops done by these? where did you get the names? are they through recommendations or cold call?

do they scribe to uneven walls?

are they quoting the edge treatments,dimensions, cut outs and everything? i.e. if they have all the info the price shouldn't change.

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, chrisk327!

To answer your questions:

I have not seen the counters done by the companies- all of the names I received were from GWers from my area who were extremely pleased with their results.

Since all of these fabricators use digital templating and CNC fabrication, the stone is cut to fit like a glove, even with uneven walls- which mine slightly are. It's so amazing what I have learned in these last few days! I originally was dealing with real crappy contractors who would not cut the granite to fit the walls. (see old granite woes thread below)

The quotes include everything that I had on my estimate submissions- I worked up a digital rendering of all dimensions including seams, cutouts, holes, overhangs, shape, etc. and included details about the edge treatment, backsplash (none), and exact granite that I am interested in. So no, the estimates I have been given should not change.

I am definitely leaning towards #2. They have fantastic videos and ppt's on their website which show every detail of their operation. I have to say it looks very impressive.

Thank you all for the great comments and questions!

Here is a link that might be useful: My original granite woes thread

• stannley
    13 years ago

Thanks for the links....I seem to have difficulty searching for the answers I'm looking for. Good luck, painterly!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

#1 would scare me between the no warranty and they can do certain things "if you want," perhaps indicating they are not standard practices for them. #2 seems to give you the most for your money, assuming their work looks good.

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Stannley, I am so sorry! I didn't even see your post! I have learned so much from everyone here, so I am happy to share anything I can that will help someone else :)

To answer your questions:

So, from what I have learned, CNC fabrication is a process where computerized machines are used to cut the granite. They can cut curves, edges, or anything else that will match exactly what the software or file tells it to do. You can google around and find some videos about it.

A French Miter (or Euro Miter, or a number of other names) is a joint that starts out at a 45 degree angle and then curves into a straight line. Apparently, this is the way many fabricators are doing there seams in L shaped kitchens because they can get a nice tight fit, AND it "tricks the eye" a little and makes the seam disappear more. There may be more to it, but that is what I have read so far. I was told about the seam by the first of these companies I contacted, and found out that all but one of my final four do the French Miter as a standard.

Digital fabrication is very precise. If your walls are not at an exact 90 degree angle from eachother (like mine), or are wavy because of bowing and age, the digital templating can account for all of that. I have seen videos of diffent methods-- very cool!

I don't know how much of a difference the rods make, honestly. I considered it kinda of a bonus. But I can say I have heard horror stories of granite around sink cutouts cracking and developing hairline fractures... This rodding would make the granite much stronger around those edges, I presume.

I hope I did a good job at answering! I am still learning too so I may have missed something.

Sorry I missed ya the first time!