Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_lou_gw

What did you use for under cabinet lighting?

katy-lou
11 years ago

Please share what you chose for your UCL

How thick/tall were they? Did they use direct wiring? Did you use and under cabinet transformer? Our electrician stubbed out 120 already but we could do an under cab transformer. Trying to figure out what to do

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I'm fond of the Hafele tape LED system. The transformer is small, and the thickness of the tape is extremely thin. You can do motion sensor applcations or a dimmer/on/off switch. It's very easy to DIY install.

• WileyBob
    11 years ago

We used the MaxLite bars from www.environmentallights.com. You have to mount a small junction box next to the lights and buy a "pigtail" (available from their website as well). They're expensive, but very nice. I've only had them installed for a week but I'm very impressed so far. They dim well with our Insteon dimmers, they're super bright, they run off line voltage 120 VAC, they are the right color (2700 warm white) and they are pretty much invisible behind the light rail. It took a while to install (we had 6 areas to light) but the end result is worth it. We went with the medium density lights (9 LEDs per foot) and they are almost too bright. I was going to get the 33 LEDs per foot and I'm glad that I didn't. So far, I can't recommend these lights enough.

We originally put these in with the included double-sided tape, but they fell down after a day. We remounted them with the included clips with no problems. Be careful of the included screws however, they were too long for our cabinets and poked out into the bottom of the cabinet. I bought a bag full #4 by 1/2" long screws at the local Ace hardware and they are perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Lights Maxlite Bars

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Good review Bob, thanks! We just ordered these last week, after tons of research and 2 phone calls to Environmental Lights. I have high hopes. Thanks for the tips on the long screws. Did you aim the lights straight down, or did you angle them? (sorry for the hijack)

• KAREN
    11 years ago

GreenDesigns- Could you please give me more info on the Hafele LED tape system? I checked out the web site, but not sure which ones you are refering to.
    TIA Parts

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Seagull Ambiance Linear LED. It's about 1/2" thick. They are direct wired, and, I'm sorry, I don't know about the transformer. But here's the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seagull Linear Lighting

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

WileyBob, what made you choose the Maxlite over the High Brightness Premium line? The difference in a driver needed as opposed to not? That seems to be the only difference to me. Was the price difference significant between the two lines?

• ccclapp
    11 years ago

HI

1st post here...

I just ordered their High Brightness Premium lights for my under counter configuration. I am also intending to use them with the insteon dimmer. They specify a low voltage electronic dimmer, so I may have issues. Has anyone used insteon for magnetic powersupply dimming?

Thanks

• rsmagnetic
    11 years ago

WileyBob,

I read that the Maxlite "pigtail" is not approved for use inside walls, which leads me to wonder how you concealed your junction boxes.

We are considering using Maxlite's Plug and Play for both glass-front cabinet lighting and undercabinet lighting.

Since our contractor wants to do junction box mountings in two days, I sure would appreciate any info you can provide regarding where and how you mounted your boxes and for what type of lighting you used the Maxlite lights. Thanks a bunch!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Ditto to GreenDesigns on the tape. I just did a search and didn't find anything with that exact name.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I used GMLARC light bars. They did require a special transformer

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I used GMLARC light bars. They did require a special transformer

• carolinesays
    11 years ago

Thanks for this thread! While researching under-cabinet lighting for our DIY kitchen remodel, I found this website for Hafele. The LED ribbon strip sounds similar to what GreenDesigns described.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele LED Lighting

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I used low profile stainless LED strips from ebay, I think the sellers name was ledpro and he gets them direct. They are the exact same as Environmental sells but a fraction of the cost. The power box is not the same as Environmental sells though. I did research to make sure ledproâÂÂs were to code, they are, read the specs. I found out the hard way not to mention you bought your ledâÂÂs from anyone other than Environmental if you want to buy their power box which is very expensive. Everything shipped pretty fast too. After two and a half years, no problems and all works well.

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

I had LED light bars from environmentallights.com with a power supply in a cabinet above the OTR microwave. I liked them fine, but they were a little on the cool side. Only had them for 2 years and now we're remodeling due to a major water leak. With this remodel, I wanted them direct wired, no power supply, so I went with the Good Earth LED from Lowes and love love love them! they are warmer, dimmable etc. I also had LED puck lights put in the corner cabinets that have glass shelves and they are all on one switch.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED lights from lowes

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH