Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on how to finish edges of glass tile backsplash

Posted by lcl77 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 12:50

We're in the process of finishing up the glass tile backsplash in our kitchen. On the edges where the glass tile does not abut against a cabinet or door moulding, it looks unfinished to me and I'm looking for advice on what people usually do in these situations. Here are photos of what the tile currently looks like.

Note that the grout hasn't yet been inserted between the tiles so that may contribute to the unfinished look.

1. Pic1 - tile ends with cabinet line in the middle of a wall so left edge is exposed
2. Pic2 - tile ends on wall perpendicular to cabinet so both top and right edges are exposed
3. Pic3 - a kitchen I saw which uses metal liners to finish off these edges.

So do you think that the edges need to have something like the metal liner to finish off their look? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on how to finish edges of glass tile backsplash

I like the neatness of the metal edge. It's probably somewhat protective for the glass edges, as well.

I recently put up a travertine and glass backsplash, with glass tiles similar to yours, and I thought it looked unfinished at the edges, so I used travertine pencil liners to butt up against the sides of the backsplash.

Helene

o

We are going to be putting up a marble mosaic backsplash and we are planning on finishing up the exposed edges with a small marble pencil liner.

I think your photo of the metal edge really fits the glass tile.

o

The metal edge to me looks a little industrial. I prefer some trim pieces if you can get them to match your tile. I don't think you will be able to get bullnose pieces in the style you have.

o

This is how we finished our glass backsplash. We did the thin liner type of tile so we just took a few and turned them vertically to create a border of sorts.

Photobucket

o

The metal edge is often called a Schluter profile.

Search for these to see images:

A. minimalist, bar, line

aluminum, with some color

schluter Schiene-AE20
schluter Schiene-AE30
schluter Schiene-AE45

or stainless:
schluter Schiene-E20
schluter Schiene-E30
schluter Schiene-E45

B. sloped transition

schluter reno-U-AEU35

schluter reno-tk-AETK60
schluter reno-tk-ATK60AT

o

We just ended it. I think that trying to find something to use as edging will just draw attention to the edges.

Photobucket

o

amysrq - I can't see well enough since the picture is at a distance. What are your edges like? Are they rough or smooth? What would they feel like if I were to run my finger down the side?

o

I used caulk on the edge and thought it looked a little more "finished", although just leaving it like the post above would've been perfectly fine as well.

o

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. It looks like my options may be limited since the tile has already been set.

o

Like amy, we just let our glass mosaic tile "end" in the previous house's kitchen backsplash and the current house's master bath wall tile. The edge is caulked, but is slightly rough when you run your finder over it. I have a long horizontal edge behind the vanity sinks (about 7" above the sinks) and I have not found it difficult to keep clean or anything. I like the simpleness of just letting the glass tile end. In our installations, any edging would have been too fussy...

o

It was slightly rough, but I never once had an issue with it. The tile itself was hand-cut and rustic.

Here is a closer pic, still hard to see though. Truth is, you won't be looking all that closely once it is done. We sat right next to that spot on counter stools and it never felt like it was missing anything. Perhaps the rich paint color helped "contain" things.

Photobucket

o
lcl77 example 3

Hi lcl7,7 I am currently looking for glass tile for my kitchen and I love the one on your example 3 with stainless liner.Do you know the name of it, or what model is it?
Thanks in advance!

o

Schluter edge, all the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: schluter edge

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here