Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coseyl

Refinishing vs new cabinets and other kitchen dilemias!

coseyl
10 years ago

Hi All,

We are set to close on a big dinosaur of a house. I posted a few kitchen pics a few months ago.......I'll see if I can repost. The house is 4800sq/feet, built in 1980 and has never been updated ~ all original carpet and tile. The only thing new is the roof!

Anyway, the kitchen needs to be redone- all the appliances are original. Before we move in we are ripping out the tile in the foyer, carpet in the halls and my son's bedroom (he has bad allergies) and taking out the carpet (yikes) in 3 bathrooms to place tile and also tiling the laundry room. I will need about a year before I can think about the kitchen.
There is plenty of other things that need to be done but we have to pace ourselves.

Anyway, the kitchen is large (I don't have dimensions) and it has the dreaded cook top on the island. We had a contractor and a flooring guy over yesterday to look at a few things. They both said that I was crazy to rip out the cabinets........they both agreed that the cabinets, although dated in color, are of a quality that would be very difficult and expensive to replace.

The kitchen is built on a slab and it has multiple entry points making expensive to move things around and difficult to envision how to change things.

The kitchen cabinets are a med brown with a yellow to them. If we keep them and have them refinished we would go dark, influencing our wood floor choices......and we need to pick our wood color now~ since we are having the hallway/bedroom carpet removed before we move in.

If we rip out the cabinets and start fresh.......he have a much more expensive reno.......and we could choose any wood color now.......and eventually pick cabinets that would look good with the flooring choice.

So my questions are:

How important is getting a stove off the island......it is a huge island (if that makes any difference)

The cabinets really are in good shape, really good shape......can I justify the expense of ripping them out, especially when there are so many things that need to be updated in the house.

Should I just pick a wood color that goes with a dark brown cabinet (even though I really want a reddish color) and decide later what to do with the kitchen?

I have included a not to scale drawing of the floor plan ~ full disclosure......I am no artist! But I would love to hear ideas on how things might be changed around to get the cooktop off of the island....... I don't care if it is a range or cook top with wall oven.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

• coseyl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is pic of the kitchen

• coseyl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and the last picture I have

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I would say that the more important thing to consider is how functional the layout is. I think the cabinets are fine and could be brought up to date easily but the layout may or may not be user friendly. Live with the kitchen the way it is for now and see if it needs to be improved on and go from there.

I have a small kitchen that we totally renovated and I love how highly functional it is. I wanted a lovely kitchen but even more than that I wanted a kitchen that I didn't dread cooking in.

Good luck!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I would not rip the cabinets out. I'd change the island though. You can put a new island in that is smaller, ditch the overhangs and corbel supports and maybe a different color such as a warm white, gray or taupe or any color you want if you do the cabinets dark. That would really make a difference in the dated look. The floor could be added in around it at the same time. There are islands sold as a standing piece of furniture that would look nice too. Then the only cabinets you would have to paint or stain are the perimeter. If you did a drop in freestanding range you could take out some cabinets and fit it in with adding some trim around it and maybe put the dishwasher in the island or some refrigerator drawers, microwave drawer etc. There are companies in our city that specialize in updating existing kitchens, doing the painting, adding trim and decorative finish work and changing out the hardware. They look like new cabinets! It's true that everything was pretty much better in the past when we knew what we were getting. Good luck.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Wellesley Kitchen & Bath Designers Divine Kitchens LLC

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Brown mahogany gel stain over oak cabinets....could go with a reddish floor I think? Either way nothing's happening to the kitchen now, am I correct in that?

So why not pick the floor you like now and live with the kitchen for awhile to figure out what you want to do with it later, knowing your cabs could be stained or painted later to match the floor you like now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stained oak cabs

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 14:26

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The cabinets might look good (hard to see the details), but this is a long way from a modern kitchen. Who is the poor soul who will have to use this as their work space to prepare thousands of meals for years to come?

I think what will happen next is you'll get tired of cleaning the grout on those tiles (had 'em, hated 'em) and you'll want a new counter, but then the new counter on dated and non-functional cabs won't make sense, so the dilemmas just snowball and become more costly in the long run. You'll also soon tire of having all the appliances acres away from each other because of that big barrier island.

The cabinets got three good decades out of them (if you consider the 80s, 90s, and 00s good decades), so they've lived their useful life. Let 'em go.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I can really see doing the cooktop on the wall where the fridge currently is, with a nice stainless steel hood above it as a great focal point.

This is one of those kitchens that it's hard to do anything to as a place holder. Just live with it until you can completely redo it.

• sena01
    10 years ago

Just pick the floor you like now and leave the kitchen cabs as they are. Maybe you can consider changing the counter top to laminate, or some other cheap option, add some pullouts if there are only shelves behind the doors.. The island is big, and there's ample space around the cooktop, so I don't think having it there would be a security hazard (assuming that the island is not very close to the sink counter). It even looks much safer than cooktops placed on short counters with narrow cabs next to them or near entries or walkways with narrow aisles.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I would 'live' in the kitchen for a while before making substantial changes. The kitchen will 'tell you' what it needs as you use it daily. Then you can decide. It doesn't sound like you'll be bored twiddling your thumbs without anything to do! Good luck, sounds exciting.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd say:
    - Pick the floor you want now (but are you sure about reddish HW? I'm so boring that I usually go for natural.
    Gel stain the cabinets if you have time (it's really addictive)
    Get different light fixtures over the island.
    Don't rip out the cabinets now.
    Don't put laminate on the counters.

There's isn't that much wall space, so you could paint the walls a cool color (navy?)

Live with the kitchen and see what bothers you and what you like.

• peony4
    10 years ago

It's a good thing that you have a year before you can work on the kitchen. You need this time to work in it for a while... Over time you'll identify all sorts of issues you want to change that are not evident right now.

Go with the hardwood color you like. Then, your cabinet color can come later. You will be able to find a complementary stain... If you are concerned, though, a light, natural wood is flexible, neutral, and easy to design around (and easy to keep clean).

Good luck with the flooring changes--I find that's the most exciting part of a new-to-you-home reno.

• redroze
    10 years ago

Agreed...I hate to say this. But the kitchen should go. It's like ripping off a bandaid...do it now and get it over with. I ran into the same dilemma with my floors...restain and refinish perfectly fine gold hardwood? I went with dark brown and it shifted the energy completely. I don't think those can be salvaged in terms of style. I can't see totally clearly but I don't think you're utilizing the space properly as the eating area seems spacious relative to the kitchen itself.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I see what you mean about the kitchen. those are really solid looking cabinets. don't think i'd like the tile counters, though.

i can see refinishing those cabinets and doing some distressing to them. painting different colors under a dark color then partially sanding thru to reveal the colors underneath.

the layout is not bad. the cooktop island has lots of space on both sides, so does not have the issues you see when the island is not really large enough for a cooktop.

what a huge place.

• coseyl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! We are picking the wood floor color with no thought to the existing kitchen and we will tackle the kitchen when we get to it.

I appreciate all the input. I agree that living in the house will be the only way to figure out if the layout works. I'll have a whole entire year of cooking with 30+ year old appliances!!!!

Thanks again.