Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me choose a white for my cabinets!

Posted by Keleh (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 12:47

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on painting my kitchen cabinets white. I bought the house a couple of years ago with the intention of getting new cabinets and changing the bathrooms but sadly, my budget will not permit such luxuries. So, I'm thinking about extending the hardwood into the kitchen or changing the tile. If you think there is a white that could work with the tile, please, please, please share. I've been told dove white but would love to hear other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me choose a white for my cabinets!

Kitchen off family room

o

Granite in natural light.

o

I'm confused. Do you want a white to coordinate with the existing tile or are you changing the tile and thus just wanting a good "kitchen white?" Do you like high contrast, cooler whites or lower contrast warmer whites?

Either way, there are 500000 shades of white. Most of the discussion on here is with the Benjamin Moore colors. BM Simply White is very bright but not too bright. Chantilly Lace is also very bright, more like a true white white. White Dove is nice white with slight gray undertones. Cloud White is nice, bright but with some warmer undertones. Linen White and Mayonaise are Mascarpone are all more creamy... But lighting affects absolutely everything so you will probably have to paint up some sample boards and live with them for a while to see how they read in your home. For example, I was sure I wanted White Dove. My friend has the same color and it looks gorgeous in her kitchen... but it looked more dreary in my kitchen with little light.

Do a google search "White Cabinets Gardenweb" and you will find a bazillion threads about all the different whites.

o

Thanks for the tips. At this point, I don't think I have much of a choice and will have to change the tile. I guess I'll have to match the white to the granite and hardwood.

o

Your cabinets (what I can see of them) are beautiful. But if you really want white, then I can only echo what lesmobo said.
I went to several paint sources and grabbed umpteen white paint chips. At home, I sat down in the kitchen and also outdoors in bright but indirect sun and sorted them into piles of undertones I liked and didn't like. It really was easier than it sounds. Then I taped up about a dozen "finalists" on the walls to see how they looked at different times of day, under the lighting that I would be using (LED).

I was looking for a warm gray rather than full-on white and settled on Behr "Campfire Ash". However, my cabinetmaker couldn't match that and went with my 2nd choice, Martha Stewart "Gull" which is less gray and warmer, sort of what we used to call bone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here