Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdxgal_gw

Please Help Finish Kitchen - Double Pendant Light

pdxgal
15 years ago

My kitchen has been finished for almost a year, but it's still lacking a few details, primarily a light over the island. I have a small island, approx 30" x 69" (if I recall) so the pendants have to be fairly small. I also need/want a double pendant light, but with just one attachment to the ceiling.

Restoration Hardware has one I really like, Clemson Double Pendant, but it's too big and in polished nickel (see bottom). Has anyone seen anything like this but in a smaller size and in a satin nickel?

I'm also open to other suggestions. Below is a picture of my kitchen. I like fairly simply, not frilly things. I've also looked at Rejuvenation and Schoolhouse Electric. Rejuvenation has one in satin nickel that might work, I'm just not crazy about the shades they have and have been looking for shades more dome shaped, like the Restoration Hardware ones.

Please help. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you.

Oh, and unfortunately, now I'm committed to getting a light because I had my electrician come cut a hole in the ceiling and install one, but it was a cheap light that didn't work well and had to be returned. Here is a picture of the island. Sorry, this isn't a good photo, but it's all I have right now on my computer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Light

Comments (31)

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Did you try Pottery Barn? I loved a few of their pendants but ultimately ended up with ones from Troy Lighting. I have a similarly sized island in my new kitchen plan.

I also found some really cool mercury glass pendants that I loved from Mothology.com. http://mothology.com/mercpend.htm

Try the link for Hudson Valley Lighting too, at the bottom of my post. They had some smaller ones as well that might be what you are looking for.

Do you like not having your soapstone as part of your backsplash? I'm considering doing the same thing but haven't decided yet.

Also, where did you get your hardware?

Thanks,

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Valley Lighting

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kat. Yes, the one I returned was from Pottery Barn. Looked great in the catalog, unfortunately it just wasn't a good pendant light. Thanks for the links, I like all those pendants, but I need a light that has two pendants, but with just ONE bar/attachment to the ceiling. Unfortunately, I can't hang two separate pendants.

I got my hardware from Restoration Hardware. They were a little spendy, but I love them and they are very solid, heavy metal. I also love having my tile go all the way to my granite counter. Easy to clean both.

• lanugget
    15 years ago

I was looking for something similar for my island, but could only find ones I liked with 3 lights that were too big. Here is a link to the Hudson Valley Haverhill line which comes in satin nickel. While not exact, I think it would look nice in you space.

http://www.farreys.com/lighting/hudson_valley/collection_haverhill.html

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

How about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Better pic here

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lanugget and pbrisjar - Thank you! Those are both great suggestions. I'll have to look tonight at the measurements of them to see if one would fit. I think the Haverhill Hudson one would be perfect and is what I have in mind, I hope it isn't too long/tall for my ceiling.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

These may be a little fussy for you; they're from Artictects and Heroes. I especially like that they're adjustable height-wise.

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Architects and Heroes

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I've got a double pendant from Arch Heroes in my own kitchen. (see link below) I love it! I agree with Eliz that the second pendant she posted (or my own choice of pendant), would likely be a bit too "fussy" for your lovely kitchen. But I'm also thinking the first pendant might look pretty good in your space. Check out the entire Architects & Heroes site if you haven't already. They make really good-looking, high quality stuff, IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Pendant Bistro Light

• donna214
    15 years ago

I also have a double pendant from Archtects and Heroes and I love it. I think I picked the most unfussy of their models, although it is in antique bronze, not satin nickel. The shades also comes in white.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

ndvweb has another really cool architects and heros fixture in her kitchen. The scale of hers is much larger than you need, but they have lots of neat adjustable height/width designs. I'm considering one myself.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for the pictures and suggestions. I had not seen some of these lights and websites before so I now have some more ideas. It's funny, I can type into Google "mini pendant lights" or "double pendant lights" in a variety of combinations but you get the same websites over and over so I desperately needed new ideas.

Donna - Your kitchen is beautiful. Looks so put together. I love all the natural light you get in there too.

I'll have to check out Archtects and Heros. I like the idea of the adjustable height. I'm afraid that Hudson Valley Light, Lanugget suggested might be a tad too long.

Thanks for the ideas!

• susan_in_maine
    15 years ago

I haven't seen these in person (Hubbardton Forge in Vermont), but am drooling over some of their stuff. Love that they're made in New England, but have a sinking feeling they're pricey. Just thought I'd give you yet another choice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge

• donna214
    15 years ago

Thanks pdxgirl, your kitchen is beautiful too. I really like the clean lines.

The Hubbardton Forge lights are really beautiful. My electrician is coming today to install this one in my dining room

This one is going in my dinette area, but it is backordered

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I love all of the lights posted here. Great ideas. I am curious about the white backsplash tile. Is it a true white? Do you mind giving me the brand and name of the tile?

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan and Donna - Those Hubbardton Forge lights are beautiful. I love the glass they use. Looks hand blown. Looks like they also have a satin nickel finish on some of them too. I'm really anxious to find something that will work so I can get closer to completing my kitchen. Almost there, but there are still a few other small details I want to do.

Fancypants - I will have to look in my house folder tonight to see the brand name of the tile. They are indeed a true white, because my paint is also very white. I used a light grey grout with very thin grout lines. They are the most basic white (very inexpensive) white tile I ordered through my local contractor store. Flat tile, no beveled edges.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

pdxgal I came across this while surfing today. I know you were looking for more of that RH look and trust me I know how it is when you get a "look" in your head, but this site had some interesting lighting and some of it quite reasonably priced. It may come in other finishes that are more to your liking too.

http://www.4houselighting.com/pics/FOU4986EG.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you finally choose!

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: pendant light

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Oh found this link too, and it has a choice of different shades and finishes.

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: waterglass studios

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kat - Thanks for those links too. I found one last night online, but I have to measure. I'm hoping to find something this weekend.

We'll see....I'll let you all know what I choose. Or I might ask you for help to narrow down my choices. Thanks everyone.

• bcarmichael
    15 years ago

This is totally off topic, but I love your kitchen pdxgal (and I got to this post from another search, not one for lighting!). It's very similar to mine, though I ended up with off-white cabinets when I thought I had white cabinets. So I also have soapstone and white subway tile. I still need to choose paint, and am thinking about white. So when I saw your kitchen, I wondered, are your cabinets pure white or off-white? What color is on your walls? Thanks!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I got a triple pendant light with a single bar for over my island from a company called Olampia in NYC. My light is not really what you are looking for, but what is great about this company is that they will custom size any of the fixtures they have, and make modifications for you for a very reasonable price. I gave them the measurements of my island, and they made the length and height of the fixture to match. They show most of their fixtures in bronze, but they will make any of their lights in nickel as well. They also have lots of different glass styles as well.

I went to the store itself to order one light, and then ordered another over the phone. They were amazing to deal with. I got custom lights made in such a short time I couldn't believe it. They came weeks sooner than they had said.

Here's my light:

Here is a link that might be useful: Olampia

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I got a pendant from Olampia several years ago for another room in my house. They are a great company and, I think, a great resource for what Pdxgal is looking for!

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeannie - I love the details in your kitchen and your light. I see that they have it in a double size which would be about the right size for my island. I think I will be calling Olampia tomorrow to see about sizes. Looks like they can do custom sized which would help too size my ceilings are not really high.

See this is why I love this site, everyone has such great ideas and resources.

Fancypants - Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I found my invoice for my subway tile. The tile was from OT&M, Oregon Tile & Marble. It was their 3x6 Field Tile in White. Item # LAP1/36

Bcarmichael - Thanks! My cabinets are pretty true white I would say. They are Benjamin Moore's Super White I believe. All our woodwork including our cabinets are Super White, but I wouldn't call it glaring or bright white though, but definitely not creamy off-white either, just white. The walls and island in the kitchen are Sherwin Williams Conservative Gray. It is a greenish gray color. I'm normally not a green color person, but for some reason I find this color very soothing and soft.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeannie - I just reread your post and saw that you had said they did your light custom sized to fit your island. That is what I think I need at this point and they sound great to work with. Hope they are open on Sunday to talk to me.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

pdxgal,
    Did you ever pick a pendant light for over your island?

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pluckymama - I wish I could say yes, but sadly that's not the case. I thought I had narrowed it down, but the haverhill one can't be shorten. I love the one that Jeannie has in her kitchen and it can be made in brushed nickel with just two lights, but is over $1000, which was more than I was hoping to spend, but at this point I might have to bite the bullet (although DH might think otherwise since we're now onto a major landscaping project). I was turned onto a new site today thanks to Redroze, Turn of the Century Lighting, and might have to call them about prices. It's still on my to-do list and I can't wait to share pictures once I finally have something.

• katienic
    15 years ago

pdxgal,
    I too like simple lines. I was in a lighting shop today and found a fixture line that had a simple, clean look with some nice architectural details.
    It is available in the brushed stainless and I love the milk white squared shades. Turned on, it is really a lovely piece. This one does have 3 lights though each one is not large(the total unit measures 28.5" in width)

It is from DV Lighting (Canada) The photo shows as the ORB, but you can see some of the brushed stainless in some of their accompanying fixtures though IMO the photos of the Brushed S does not do it justice.

I'll post the link:

http://www.dvcanada.com/feature_product.php?id=291

• redroze
    15 years ago

I know you were interested in my pendants from Turn of the Century Lighting. What about this one? I think the style and scale would look amazing in your kitchen. It's 29" wide, which I really think would work.

{{gwi:1590347}}

I also like this style because the shades are clear, but this one's too long and it doesn't come in a 2-light version.

{{gwi:1590349}}

• redroze
    15 years ago

By the way, TOCL has all the pricing on their website which is great. The prices vary by finish, so click on the finish you like (in your case, satin nickel) to get pricing for it. In Canadian funds of course.

Another option is to do the small version of my pendant...would you be open to having your electrician wire it so it would have two lights? I don't think it would be too outrageously expensive.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katie - That could be a real possibility too. Looks like the height would work too. Thanks for the link and website.

Redroze - I saw the two you posted on TOCL website today and really like both. I am planning on contacting them tomorrow. Here is my question, do you think this light from Rejuvenation is close enough to the top picture in your last post? The one from Rejuvenation is a little cheaper and I've seen it in person in satin nickel, but I'm not as crazy about the extra "balls" and "bulbs" on the rods. The one from TOCL seems simpler to me and might be worth the extra couple of hundred of dollars. Or would no one notice the difference?

I swear I'm not normally this picky and usually can find lots of things I like, but for some reason now I feel like this stupid light has to be just perfect since I've already returned one.

I should just had my electrician do two electrical boxes, but now the one is centered in the ceiling and he would have to cut two new holes and patch the old one. I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Light

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Redroze - I think you can switch out to the clear ribbed shades on the two version light. The site says the shades are interchangeable since they all are a 2 1/4" fitter. Same goes for the Rejuvenation light I posted. Could switch the shades if I wanted. The clear shades are actually cheaper than the white shades.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I too, favour cleaner lines over busy ones. However, I don't think the extra ball or two on the Rejuvenation light marrs it, only if you're comparing the two side-by-side. I would go with the more affordable one. TOCL would also charge you for shipping and duties - not to discourage you, but they are factors. If pricing is not a factor I would go with the TOCL one (first one). Either one you go with, I'd do the lighter shades because your island isn't huge, thus you want something light and airy above it.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input Redroze. I hadn't looked into shipping from TOCL yet, but the fixture itself was about $200 more expensive if I recall. I suppose I just just try the Rejuvenation one. The nice thing is it's a local company and they let you return it with no restocking charge with 3 weeks or something. So I don't really have anything to lose. I may even be able to ask if they could not put those extra balls on. The other fixture from O'Lampia is very airy and light and I think would look awesome, just not sure it's worth the extra $700.