Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
partyof7_gw

Loving my banquette!

partyof7
11 years ago

We are officially in the ABB Club. The tiles are due in 3/17. But we did manage to get the banquette and our seating right before Christmas. It is suddenly a place that everyone loves to hang out in! We had a family Christmas party and all the adults, and alot of kids were in the kitchen ALL DAY! (Made me nervous to make Bearnaise sauce with all those people around!)

The banquette was custom made by an awesome guy, Jason, in Freehold NJ. The chairs we ordered from Carrington Court Direct (Thanks, OldBat!) in NC.

Island seating:

Comments (25)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I love a great banquette! And yours falls into that category. I cannot wait to get one back in my kitchen. I just need to pick fabric....yeah, that'll only take probably another 14 months.

Those chairs are luscious and yummy. The nailhead trim is a nice touch.

Looks awesome!!

• function_first
    11 years ago

Love your banquette -- it's gorgeous! I'd imagine those little stripes would have been difficult to work with --- it really came out nice, though. Congratulations!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love it too. What a great fit for your space. Your table is gorgeous too.

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

I want to come hang out and watch you make a Bearnaise sauce! What a comfortable cozy spot. Now if I can just get DH to consider the possibility of a banquette!

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Lovely! What are the dimensions? Wall to front of seat, depth of back cushion? Height of seat? How much overhang does the table have over the seat to slide in comfortably but still be close enough to eat? Thanks for posting!

• rovo
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful! The chairs with the nailhead detail add just the right touch, and I love the gorgeous trestle table. Congratulations!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Where did you get your table? I am shopping for a banquette table now.

• rosie
    11 years ago

It looks really COMFY, Partyof7. No wonder people loved to hang all day in the kitchen. :) Looks like a good job.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

That is one stylin' banquette!!! :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Sweet! Love it and looks very functional as well as gorgeous! Love the colors!! - Sure looks like a great place for a party of 7!
    Congrats!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Misinformation--I think it would probably be OK with the OP if I posted some standard banquette info. I'm sure she'll post info on her booth, but this might help in general.

Here's a drawing of standard booth dimensions made by one of the restaurant designers at DH's office. I've read similar measurements myself in Sarah Susanka's books and elsewhere. (Google booth dimensions or the like.) Bench should be 24" deep to account for the slanted back. Standard table width is 30", but you can go less. The table usually overhangs the bench by at least 3", but 4-5" is also common. Top of the seat should be 17-18" off the floor. 24" width is standard "per butt" spacing. Beware of corners where two diners cannot share the same leg space.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Nice!

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

Jason did a beautiful job! Really like it!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Love the banquette! Love those stools too! And ok, the entire kitchen is pretty great! So glad you are happy!!!

Bee

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Wahoo! Love the banquette and sneak peeks. Hopefully the CC stools are uber comfy? Are the chairs from CC too or just a close match? Look at you, with the TV set up perfectly for your viewing from the working side of the island. And I know what you mean about having everyone in the kitchen with you. It's great, but there's nowhere to hide....

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 6:04

• deedles
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Looks like your seating is so comfortable! Just lovely. (OT, those foil wraps are death to poinsettias. They hate their feet wet.)

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for my absence on my thread! I had a minor surgical procedure yesterday and... ouch! lol

Breezygirl_ I agree picking fabric is difficult! I forced myself to stay within the books that only had hotel/restaurant grade fabric that would hold up to heavy use. That reduced my options enough to make it a LITTLE easier!

kris_ma- I, too, was worried about the tufting with a small stripe, but the upholsterer claimed smaller stripes are easier to tuft than a larger stripe, as it's harder for the eye to follow a single stripe.

justmakeit- LOL That made me smile. Thanks!

Mizinformation- This shop does a lot of restaurant seating, so I used the dimensions of a restaurant booth I tried out. The table is 78" long, and the banquette is 75". I had 4 kids, teenagers to 9 years old comfortably at the table, 3 adults could be comfortable. The table overlaps the banquette by 4", fine for teenagers, but not for an obese individual. We can move the table in and out though. From the wall to the front of the seat is 26.5". The seat depth is 20.5". Seat height is 18" (but it's foam, so you do sink a little) and table height is 29.25" The back cushion is 6.5" thick and tapers to 3" at the top. The back is 21" high from the seat cushion. It basically falls within breezygirls guidelines.

crgimum- The trestle table is cherry and comes from Hunt Country Furniture. We love it!

oldbat2be- Yes! Chairs and stools are from Carrington Court. Very comfortable. We had to go a little shallower than we wanted for the island as there is a major thoroughfare behind them and we wanted them to tuck under the overhang as much as possible. The seat depth of the stools is 15". Fine for us average height folks, but don't think a 6 footer would be comfortable for long.

deedles- Thanks for the poinsettia advice. lol Luckily for them I barely remember to water them!

Thanks so much for the kind words!

• mic111
    11 years ago

Hmmm...now I want a banquette also. Reading this forum is very dangerous.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Partyof7. Searching for banquette inspiration and came across this thread. Yours is beautiful and looks soooo comfortable; is it? Thanks for providing dimensions.

You mentioned you used restaurant grade fabric. Can't tell from the photo; is it fabric, leather, vinyl or ?

How did you find the person who made it? Search for restaurant booth shops ? Not even sure where to begin, but I know I want something like yours with the space on the bottom tapered back for feet rather than storage boxed ones I see made by many cabinet makers.

One last Q. Did you do a final reveal of your entire kitchen and if so can you please provide the link? Would love to see it. Thanks!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

That is one gorgeous banquette! Love the color of your chairs. You will enjoy lots of socialization in the cubby!
    Yes, please put a link to your final reveal - Thanks!

• LE
    11 years ago

I found a place in Seattle that does a lot of restaurant booths, but I might not have found it from a Google search. Someone who had one turned me on to them. Maybe ask at a restaurant? (This place also does a lot of repairs, which makes sense if you think about the hard use the seating gets in restaurants, so maybe a owner would be able to give a recommendation.) I'm grateful to find these measurements to compare with the info I got from the upholsterer. Ours isn't totally designed yet, I'm just worried about getting the electrical box over the table centered properly!

• LE
    11 years ago

I found a place in Seattle that does a lot of restaurant booths, but I might not have found it from a Google search. Someone who had one turned me on to them. Maybe ask at a restaurant? (This place also does a lot of repairs, which makes sense if you think about the hard use the seating gets in restaurants, so maybe a owner would be able to give a recommendation.) I'm grateful to find these measurements to compare with the info I got from the upholsterer. Ours isn't totally designed yet, I'm just worried about getting the electrical box over the table centered properly!

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Island. Yes the banquette is extremely comfortable. I actually traded seats with my 16 year old daughter who didn't want to sit next to her 9 year old brother any more. So I sit there every day and really like it.

Tha back is fabric. It is a synthetic because cotton could never withstand the use. I would only consider fabrics with 30,000 double rub rating or more. I think this one is rated 50,000. The seat is vinyl for its ease in cleaning. I was so worried it would be the old vinyl that your legs stuck to (ouch!), but modern vinyls are soft like leather, thick and easy to clean.

I happened to stumble across this shop looking for counter stools. I initially was going to have the cabinet co or the contractor build one, but I don't think I would have been happy with the wear of painted wood over time with a careless family. I definitely would ask at local restaurants or hotels. They may know where to steer you. This company has BOOTHS as their specialty, so search that word too.

My reveal is in 3 parts. This banquette thread, one ABB and one backsplash. Hope this helps.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111321275777.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0213594126073.html

Thanks!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. Never knew about rub ratings. LOL. Wear is important to me also. I've been taking note of comfy (and stylish) ones I experience in restaurants, but so far I either get no response to my inquiries or told only does work for restaurants. No worries at this point since I've barely scratched the surface of what I'd like in my kitchen which won't be DIY, so hopefully my KD will have the sources. Always great to find GW inspiration shots with details! Thanks.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Lovely! Hope you're recovery is quick!