Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

Pirula: about your gorgeous kitchen

hollylh
16 years ago

I was reading about your kitchen on another thread and decided it's time to come out of the closet: your kitchen is my inspiration kitchen.

Why isn't it on the FKB?

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions--first, what color are your cabinets? I seem to remember you used F&B paint which I LOVE--

second, could you tell me about your paneling? How wide is it, and does it come in separate pieces? Have you have separation issues? DO you have any other tips?

and finally, do you find your open shelves hard to keep clean? I love the look

Thank you so much. Again, your kitchen is just lovely.

Holly

Comments (17)

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Yes, pirula! May I please add your kitchen to the FKB?

• pirula
    16 years ago

Hi holly and starpooh!

OMG you have made my day. Can I just tell you what a S**T day I have had? And now it's all better......

I'd be delighted to be in the FKB, what do you need? I'm not sure why it never happened. Heaven knows I've been here long enough! ha ha!

Okay holly your questions:

Yes. I used F&B paint in the kitchen on the walls and the paneling in the bookcase. It is fantastic paint. The walls "White Tie" in eggshell. The trim and ceiling are "Pointing" and the back of the bookcase is "Matchstick". This stuff cleans up like a dream. The cabinets are not F&B they're an FPE paint with a number for the color. I can look it up if you're interested. It's very close to the "White Tie" but ever so slightly different. Only I seem to notice it. And it's even better paint, if you can believe that. The cabinets get ALOT of wear and tear and scrubbing, and let me tell you, they're like new. They've even survived the puppy (enough said).

The tongue and groove paneling is separate pieces, 5" wide. I have had two of the planks sort of separate slightly this winter, but it's barely noticeable and just not a big deal at all to me.

THe open shelves are not at all hard to clean since they're not very high given the 8ft 3in ceilings and that wonder of modern homekeeping: the swiffer. I only keep stuff up there that I use all the time. And I have a really good hood. I haven't had any grease issues. The few decorative things up there just get dusted twice a week and it's fine.

Thank you again for the wonderful compliment!

Ivette

• pirula
    16 years ago

You did ask for the color of the cabinets didn't you?

It's Fine Paints of Europe # 7430 Selekt.

But I have to tell you, I used F&B's eggshell on all the other woodwork in the house and it's working beautifully. White Tie is very close to this color, it's ever so slightly less "creamy". Granted, the other woodwork doesn't get the wear the cabinets in the kitchen do, although one could argue that the baseboards do. Anyway, I think either choice would be fantastic for your cabinets.

Ivette

• hollylh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Ivette! I am glad I made your day better! And thank you for all the info. I have been squinting and squinting at that F&B color card and wondering how they look in person--just haven't ordered my sample pots yet. Glad also to hear about shelves and panelling--and glad I asked because I wouldn't have thought it was 5". It looks wonderful. Your kitchen has so many great touches--the arch, the bookcase, the knobs. Also love the hood...

it's definitely that timeless "English" look (as opposed to the hotplate-and-Russell-Hobbes-kettle English) that I am aiming for.

If I could only get a French range too...

Okay, I'll stop now! Thanks again!

Holly

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

My appetite is totally whetted, but the link in the Gallery is no longer valid. Pictures?

• pirula
    16 years ago

gosh thanks Holly!!

I have a Russel Hobbs toaster, does it count? LOL!

Be very VERY careful with the F&B paint chips. Basically, they suck. You absolutely have to get a sample can and make big swatches of your color choices. There is something about this paint that just doesn't translate to a chip, even one made of the paint itself. Trust me, 80 percent of my house is F&B, I know. You will love the White Tie. It is exquisite, a true cream. With not hint of yellow or pink. At least in our light here in Virginia. Let's see what it does where you are.

rmkitchen: Here's a link to the kitch picks in photobucket. Stupid Yahoo stopped pictures. Unfortunately, I only have a few pics here, but you'll get the general idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Ivette -- now I totally get all the lusty comments! Your kitchen (your whole house, it appears), is lovely. What pure, elegant taste you have.

Thank you so much for the link. I really loved being a nosey parker and seeing your beautiful kitchen (and home). You definitely need to be in the FKB!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

lovely kitchen! and i don't know if this a completely ridiculous question, but i don't see any toe kicks... do you not have any?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Ivette -- I have been admiring your kitchen since I first stumbled onto this forum. Would you mind sharing some details?

Where did you get those knobs (and how big are they)?
    What are the dimensions of your island?

• pirula
    16 years ago

Wow! You guys are too sweet.

kateskouros: Oh, but I do have toekicks. It was one of my cleverest moments. They're painted black you see. F&B's "Off Black" to be exact. So it appears like the cabinets are sitting on those pretty legs, but nothin doin. Cool huh???

sarchlos: The knobs are from Lee Valley Hardware. Unfinished cherry Shaker knobs. I stained them and sealed them myself. They were like a dollar each. I believe they're about an inch and a half in diameter. It was the largest available at the time.

The dimensions of the island are 3ft 6 in X 6 ft 8 in.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Ivette -
    Thanks for permission to add your kitchen to the FKB!
    I will need a list of details (cabinets, countertops, etc. .. anything you would like to include)
    and a submitted Category Checklist to help me categorize your kitchen.
    Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

What is F&B paint?

• pirula
    16 years ago

Wow starpooh! Could you possibly be more organized?? I'm impressed.

Will do, I'll get that all to you, but probably not till after the weekend I have a friend visiting from NYC.

Cat mom: F&B is Farrow & Ball.

Ivette

• pirula
    16 years ago

Starpooh:

Just to let you know that the computer with the pics on it is having issues (ordered a part should be okay) and I'm going on a business trip for two weeks this weekend. So my submission will be more than a bit tardy. But I will get it to you, I promise.

Thanks,
    Ivette

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Thanks Ivette! I'm glad you haven't forgotten!

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

And Ivette, how is that puppy? Pictures, please!

• louisa_smith03
    16 years ago

hiPirula!

I'm still planning on open shelves, thanks in no small part to your inspiring kitchen! Do you recall where you procured the brackets that hold up the shelves? I really like that look. any regrets regarding the open shelves?