Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdodnc

What color hardware with Natural Cherry

mdod
14 years ago

For those with natural cherry cabinets, what color hardware have you used? Any pics would be greatly appreciated. I've had my cabinets in for 5 weeks now and I can't decide on the hardware! I've gone through the FKB dozens of times but it's really hard to tell hardware color and style in most of slideshow the pics.

I've got black and stainless appliances and a stainless steel sink and pendants that are kind of bronze. I was leaning toward a grayish color but I'm afraid the satin nickel is too light and I can't find anything darker in a style that I like. It's really hard to tell with the cherry because it's going to darken.

Someone posted a picture of this Amerock Revitalize handle that caught my eye but it projects 1 3/8" which is more than most handles. I've been to HD and Lowes and several K&B places and can't find it anywhere to see what it looks like.

Comments (23)

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

I did satin nickel - pics in the link. My appliances are all stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• holligator
    14 years ago

My cabs are natural cherry, and my hardware is all brushed nickel--so are my pendants and faucets.

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

I am not done yet but I purchased Dyansty Ribbon and Reed in antique nickel. I got them on e-bay and am very happy with them. I am using knobs on the cabinets and pulls on the drawers. All appliances are stainless.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I also have satin nickel on my natural cherry cabinets. Polished nickel was too contrasty (though I love it) against the wood. I also have stainless appliances, and a carerra marble counter.

• brickton
    14 years ago

mdod, have you thought of going with a pewter or antique/weathered nickel instead of satin nickel? It's less of silvery gray, darker and little more rustic.

Here's a set of 5 from overstock, I have no idea on the quality of them, but I like the look and think it would work well with cherry cabinets.
    Overstock Bin Pulls

I actually liked the combination enough to clip someone's post a while back that had this. The cabinets are probably lighter than what you have, but it might give you the idea. Here

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Not sure if brickton was referring to my hardware or someone elses. I have weathered nickel knobs and cup pulls in our kitchen with natural cherry shaker cabinets. Our appliances are SS as well as our sink. Our faucet is brushed nickel and blends in well. I'm really pleased with the look. Our cabinets had only been in about 2 months when the pictures posted in the link above were taken (at the end of the thread). Amazing how things have darkened in six months. This picture was taken about 5 months after installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: remodel blog

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Oh, man, nhbaskets, I LOVE your cabinets. *sigh*

• sue36
    14 years ago

My cabinets are the color that natural cherry turns after a few years (the stain was called Harvest Gold). I used antique polished brass hardware.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Our cabs aren't quite naural cherry, rather, the manuf used a 1/4 cut version of Harvest Gold stain (basically 25% stain mixed with mineral spirits to water it down). They are now almost 3 years old, and have "ambered" up nicely. We used satin nickel pulls on our cabs. They looked great when our cabs were new, and lighter, and still look great with our (darkened) cabs today.

• mdod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the responses (and pics and links). It's reassuring that a lot of you are happy with your satin nickel. I like the idea of the darker antique nickel but the styles I've found in that color have been too rustic.

My husband likes the simple curved handles and I'm OK with them but wanted something with a little more character.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

thanks for this thread. i have been mulling over the same question. i am going with satin nickel faucets but was thinking to do an antique brass on the pulls and knobs (horton brasses). also, a carrera top.

staceyneil can you post pics?

Here is a link that might be useful: not a useful link...just my blog

• brickton
    14 years ago

I was absolutely referring to your kitchen nhbaskets, it's one of my favorite. It might actually be enough to convince me to go with stained instead of painted cabinets.

• judeNY_gw
    14 years ago

I used Top Knobs german bronze finish. I like the way they don't jump out at you. It looks more like antique brass than finishes that call themselves antique brass. The 5 light fixture over the island is real antique brass and wall plates and deck lever/lock are Baldwin satin brass/black. They all work together. Sinks, faucets, cooktop and oven are stainless.

I think real orb would look great but the orb that I saw looked more like brown paint.

• carajon
    14 years ago

We have cherry cabinets, soapstone counters, antique wood floors and mostly ss appliances. Our sinks and faucets are stainless also. I agonized but finally chose oil rubbed bronze hardware from Rejuvenation Hardware. We've been living with them for a couple of years now and the finish is mellowing - they look more like the burnished antique finish now that the oil rubbed bronze - and I love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet hardware at Rejuvenation

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

sabjimata-
    here's a photo for you... the backsplash, trim above cabinets and fridge, toekicks and undercab lighing are not completed yet, though!

• helsharmar
    11 years ago

carajon, I have a question for you about a 2-yr-old post:

Like you, we have cherry cabinets (natural)and ss appliances and sinks, although our faucets are oil rubbed bronze. Like you, I'm also agonizing over hardware and strongly considering oil rubbed bronze from Rejuvenation. That's where we got our pendant lights in the same finish.

The main thing that's stopping me is how matte the finish is. The OR bronze on our faucets has a little sheen. I was heartened to hear that yours have mellowed. Is that from handling them, or just age? It's funny that you said they look more like the burnished antique finish because that's the other finish I'm considering. Also, please confirm that you mean Rejuvenation, not Restoration Hardware, because some people get them mixed up, and RH's finishes are different.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

We used Schaub's oil rubbed bronze finish - it's really a matte brown, they have other finishes that look more like what other companies call ORB. We like that it goes with the darker bits of the grain and lets the cabinets and granite be the stars.

For the family room, we went with walnut knobs:

• BeastBaby
    11 years ago

Staceyneil - sidebar question!

is that white oak on your island? where did you get your island top?

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

we have our frig and cabs over it in harvest gold stain on cherry and our main cabs in espresso and we used amerock "highland ridge" in rubbed bronze. love it.

like cloud swift said, they let the cabs and granite be the stars..wouldn't change it.

• newbayit
    8 years ago

Would nhbaskets please tell us where you found those weathered nickel knobs and cup pulls?

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

Newbay, glad I stopped in and saw your new post to an old thread. My cup pulls and knobs were from Plain & Fancy and actually were included with the cabinet purchase. I just looked at their website and couldn't find any reference to hardware. When I picked these out in 2009, it was from a display board my KD had in her shop.

• newbayit
    8 years ago

Thanks for the quick response!