Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmks_gw

Counters 35 3/4 in high instead of 36!

mmks
16 years ago

This wouldn't seem like such a big deal except my slide in range doesn't fit tightly with the counter when down as far as we can get it. The builder built a base to the cabinets instead of using legs that came with them. We have Cambria countertops, should they have put something in to raise the tops?

Comments (16)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Sumbuddy shudda measured better.

What is your flooring material? If concrete, can you route out a part and sink the range feet 1/4 inch?

• mmks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have laminate in the kitchen, but not under range. I really want to know who I should be ticked off at the builder or the counter top installers.

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

Your builder should have built the toekick platforms correctly. He probably didn't cover the 2x4 framing with plywood as he should have. Overall, this is his problem because he made the toekick a nonstandard size. Throw the solution onto him.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Isn't it normal for standard 36" cabinets to be installed, then have flooring up to them (especially any flooring that has to be 'floated'), which would affect the overall height?

• teedup1
    16 years ago

If you had your range and specs onsite, I would lay blame with the cabinet installers, not the countertop installers who just plop the top on what is there ready for them. (Although it's something you could/should have checked on yourself too.)

• chapnc
    16 years ago

You probably have the threaded leveling feet under your range screwed down as low as they will go, but have you tried removing the feet completely?

With any luck, this will give you the extra 1/4 inch you need and will end up sitting level also.

• mmks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We already took the leveling feet off.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Been there - same situation. Not sure that our remedy will help you if your counters are already installed but here's what we did: We built up the countertops before putting down the granite. My DH was the cabinet installer. Anyway, our Bosch range is 36" minimum height and our cabinets with 3cm granite would have been shy of 35.75". I was devastated and refused to get another range because I loved the one I bought.

Taking the feet off wasn't an option for my own reasons, and taking out the plywood under the range wouldn't allow clearance of the warming drawer to open. DH was dead set against reinstalling the cabinets though that would have been the proper way to fix the problem.

Upon asking questions, calling around, speaking to people in the business, our best solution was to build up the cabinets by 1/2" using plywood, then install the granite, and add matching cabinet trim to cover the plywood. This isn't too uncommon, I was told. It turned out just fine.

However, it appears your counters are already installed. Sounds like you may have to take this up with the cab installer.

Good luck

• mmks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is just another of many in the things that were done wrong...and yep it there really isn't an easy fix here.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

What subfloor is under the range? Can it be modified?

• clg7067
    16 years ago

Boy am I glad I read this. I wouldn't have thought 1/4 inch short would have mattered. I thought that was the whole reason behind adjustable feet.

• rollie
    16 years ago

1/4 inch shouldnt matter..... but does.

Personally, I think this is an issue with the range manufacturers. How silly is it, in this day and age of 3cm tops, to design a range with a 36" minimum surface requirement?

Why not make them 35 1/4 minimum, and jack em up.

I know this isnt any help to anyone, but I feel alot of the blame lies with the manufactureres, for the most part.

Raising the tops, the trimming below the ct is the easiest fix.

• hailefinn
    16 years ago

That 1/4" does matter--that is a big gap for crumbs ect to get under. I had a bigger gap and that is what made me cry when I found out my KitchenAid slide-in range wouldn't fit flush with the 2 cm Silestone countertop. HomeDepot wanted to raise the countertop next to the range but the countertop guy said no--better not to raise just a section. To make a long story short I had to do all the measuring, calling KitchenAid customer service (they were no help), dealing with HD and countertop guy. In the end HD had to go to 3cm counter (per countertop guy), took off range feet and we still had a 1/4" gap. After all of the changes the solution to rout out a 1" strip of the 1/4" thick tile on either side, under the range, so the metal slides on the bottom of the range to slide in on, came from, of all people, the Sears guy that delivered the range.

Not sure who is to blame but I would keep after one of them to fix it. Do you have a concrete floor that could be routed? If the floor is wood could the range section be cut out and replaced with a thinner piece? HomeDepot was going to do the routing but my husband didn't want to wait on them so he did it with a hammer and a chisel.

Let us know what you decide to do.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

So, excuse my ignorance, but I'm a little confused. What is "normal", if there is such a thing. I thought it would be 34.5" base cabinets with 3 cm granite on top which would come in at 35.75". If your slide in range is designed for a 36" high counter, where do you add the 1/4"? I'm lucky enough to be reading this thread early enough to make adjustments. Should I have the cabinets constructed at 34 3/4"? Please unfuddle my befuddled mind!

• clg7067
    16 years ago

Just for arguments sake, this is what I was planning.

2 cm top = .79 inch
    30 inch cabinet (Scherrs)
    That would mean I need a 5.2 inch toe kick!

• peteinsonj
    16 years ago

I had new tile floors put in (and counters) -- and also got a slide in range. -- yes, even a 1/4" will make a difference! (and what you describe is clearly the contractor's fault).

Since I kept the cabinets (they were refinished), the only, and easiest way to fix the problem was to put 3/4" plywood down on top of the cabinets, and the new counters were installed on top of that.

Then ran a very small moulding to cover the plywood edge. Looks very nice.

Sounds like your Cambria counters are already in? The only way to fix this is to remove the counters, and do something similar to what I did (or, to also remove the cabinets, and raise them!).

Not sure where you're at with this project -- if you're set on the range you have -- you'll have to force the builder's hand to redo the work. Another option -- have the builder buy you a new freestanding range, if there is one you like, and have him give you a discount!

Pete