Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joslin99

Can someone tell me about Ikea drawers

joslin99
12 years ago

I bought an IKEA dresser recently (not a cheap one either) and the drawer bottom is thin thin thin and constructed poorly. It slides into a groove at the front of the drawer but is only held on to the sides by the pressure of the drawer glide being installed, and it is not attached at the back at all.

Are their kitchen drawer bottoms constructed this poorly?

Comments (19)

• Fori
    12 years ago

Nope--check em out in the store. They are well built, full extension, with nice slides (good warranty on that hardware, too).

THey aren't solid wood exactly, but they'll do.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love our Ikea kitchen drawers and don't think they are like their furniture, which is hit or miss. I notice that some of the furniture is of better quality than others of theirs. The prices are a real guide to how well their stuff is. Some of their items are not cheap while others are ridiculously low. I guess some is marketed to the college student/broke young adult, while others are meant for more established adults and families.

Their kitchen has been installed here for approx 9 months and has help up perfectly. I could not be happier with all the drawers we got. They are super smooth and roomy. We got all the soft closes and that makes them glide on air.

• alexisls
    12 years ago

The bottoms are quarter inch particle board that's been laminated on both sides. The sides have grooves that slide into the metal sides of the drawer, and then the metal back snaps on to the back edge of the bottom. The bottoms are quite heavy.

You could buy just one small drawer (and a front for a pull-out drawer - they are sold separately) if you wanted to see how it goes together. I added a couple extra pull-out drawers and they are very easy to put together - everything just snaps into place.

The 30 inch deep drawer has a weight load of 110 pounds (if you go to the product information tab in the link below, you can see the weight load for the various sized drawers). I have mine loaded up with heavy pots and pans (plenty of cast iron) and they glide in and out without a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Rationell Deep Drawers

• joslin99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! That makes me feel better.

I doubt that the dresser drawer would hold 6 sweaters without bowing.

• kmcg
    12 years ago

I'll echo Zoe's comment. I had my Ikea kitchen for 5 years before moving, and the drawers were incredibly great quality. I kept all my cast iron pots in one 30" wide drawer, and the drawer showed no signs of fatigue.

• lee676
    12 years ago

Which Ikea dresser do you have? I considered buying their nice-looking Hopen dresser ($99) but it didn't feel substantial - the veneer corners didn't all line up well and the drawers didn't roll smoothly and were made of easily malleable materials, though I didn't closely inspect it. Some of their other dressers look better made though.

Their kitchen cabinets are well made though - drawers are sturdy and well shaped, hinges are high-quality Blum units, doors are adequate. They skimp where skimping makes sense, like the back wall of the cabinet that doesn't get much wear.

• lsciarrino
    12 years ago

Our experience with Ikea kitchen cabinets was so poor that we have decided not to shop at Ikea anymore. We remodeled our kitchen approx 5 years ago and the cabinets were damaged by water (occasional drips etc.. the usual water situations one finds in a kitchen) and had to be replaced, twice. Customer service was horrible - we had to make repeated trips to Ikea because some of the cabinets originally came in packages of 2 -- and we had to return both cabinets even though only one was damaged... Years after the installation, we didn't remember what was originally packaged with what. Good thing the cabinets came with a 10 year warranty!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Love our IKEA kitchen cabinets. DH, who was unfamiliar with their quality and initially skeptical; was amazed by the genius and simplicity of their engineering. I expect them to last me at least a solid 20+ years.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

The drawer bottoms are half inch particle board. ZoeCat17 wrote a different number.

101-070-67 RATIONELL = 18"w shallow drawer
    701-070-69 RATIONELL = 24"w shallow drawer
    101-070-72 RATIONELL = 30"w shallow drawer

201-070-81 RATIONELL = 18"w deep drawer
    901-099-77 RATIONELL = 24"w deep drawer
    001-070-82 RATIONELL = 30"w deep drawer
    801-070-83 RATIONELL = 36"w deep drawer

Each purchase is for a kit, which includes Blum glides, Blum Tandembox drawer sides, Blum metal panel for the drawer back and a chipboard drawer floor, all ready to slip together. Snap and clip. No glue required. The metal panel for the drawer back is not available through other channels in North America. Blum sells the Tandembox parts to Blum distributors but not this back panel. Tandembox glides are ful extension glides.

Then, you add the front you wish to add, onto the un-fronted drawer. The Blum clips to screw to the Blum drawer side can be ordered anywhere for less than $1 each. These clips hold your chosen drawer front onto the drawer. Any front will do. Buy from anywhere, or make your own.

• threegraces
    12 years ago

They are definitely two different beasts. We have a ton of the HEMNES line from IKEA and we're very happy with it. However, it receives nowhere near the abuse a kitchen would and we did not buy them to be heirloom pieces. The stuff we have looks great and we love it, but it's nothing like how well built the kitchens are. If only IKEA had a door style we loved, we'd choose them for our remodel.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Here is what we did. We got custom fronts and just used the ikea boxes and drawers. Love them.

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Threegraces -

Don't feel limited by the IKEA doors -- there are quite a few places (I used Scherr's) that have the IKEA measurements for custom doors with a huge selection of styles and wood type.

From Kitchen After

• shelayne
    12 years ago

The kitchen cabinets are DEFINITELY NOT the same as their other furniture. In fact, it was the fear of having Malm-type dresser drawers for kitchen drawers that had DH saying "No way" to IKEA kitchens.

At first.

I purchased a kitchen drawer stack to "prove" to him that they were a completely different animal. Once he saw the real thing in real use, he was sold. The drawers have a 1/2" bottom and are very strong and sturdy. It is a Blum Tandembox, after all.

Go check them out yourself and see and know you are not limited to the IKEA door styles. Any custom door company can make doors for the cabinets. They only need the measurements.

I love my IKEA cabs!

• threegraces
    12 years ago

Zoe - I found a local place that would be about the same price as getting different doors on IKEA cabs but they are already assembled. I love the doors on your cabs.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

The clips that hold your chosen drawer front onto the Blum Ikea drawer are easy to attach. Any front will do. This is an easy DIY task.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I love the easy and cheap drawer dividers for the Ikea drawers.

I didn't get Ikea mainly because my kitchen was too small to mess with standard sizes, but I do have one of their freestanding units. It's had several jobs since it started as a baking center and then became a temporary kitchen during our remodel and now holds art supplies for kids. Lots of abuse.

• threegraces
    12 years ago

david - I was referring to the work of assembling the cabinet boxes themselves (if you were talking to me. If not, ignore!)

• jeri
    12 years ago

Zoe - We want to use Scherr's and IKEA to get our white kitchen too. Did they paint your fronts? I want the exact same style you have - can you tell me what you paid???

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Jeri -

I did have Scherr's do the paint - on the plus side, they came out beautifully; on the minus side, finishing cost almost as much as the doors. From what I understand, you may be able to save money by having someone local to you do the painting. Logistically, that wasn't an option for me.

I posted a breakdown of my Scherr's costs over at IkeaFans - link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's Cost Breakdown