lmgch

colors - opinions and question

lmgch
9 years ago

perimeter cabinetry will be BM simply white
counter top is sea pearl quartzite
backsplash is Iris Nacar Rel A Ondas

choosing color for island base and would love opinions. options are:
- BM Silver Pine (flat on maple or with black dye rub thru)
{{gwi:2136023}}

{{gwi:2136024}}

- BM Duxbury Gray (flat on maple or with black dye rub thru)
{{gwi:2136025}}

{{gwi:2136026}}

- BM Dragonfly (flat on maple or with black dye rub thru)
{{gwi:2136027}}

{{gwi:2136028}}

ALSO, need to select mudroom cabinetry color. I had been thinking the Duxbury Gray. Would love opinions on how this look (flat on maple or with black dye rub thru) with the floor tile (Armstrong Alterna in Light Gray).
{{gwi:2136029}}

LASTLY, cabinet maker had told me at one point that cabinets painted in dark color showed wear more quickly. Which is why I suggested we look at maybe doing a rub thru, so if there are dings and wear, it will look like it was part of the plan in the first place. But I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this - does anyone have darker colored painted lower cabs? have you regretted it? do you have much issue in the way of scratches?

thanks!

Comments (9)

• cawaps
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Duxbury Gray, which is coming out more green than gray on my monitor (greener than other pics of the color that I looked at online). I also like the Silver Pine. It depends on what look you are going for--and I apologize if you've had other posts about your overall style and I wasn't paying attention. The Silver Pine is darker and more saturated and will make more of a statement.

The Dragonfly just seems like too much, given the pale colors of the rest of the materials.

Is the backsplash iridescent? It's always hard to tell in pics, but "Iris Nacar" sounds iridescent to me. If I may offer some unsolicited feedback (which you are of course free to ignore), I don't think iridescent tile works well over large areas. Gaudy, a bit, but also the way the colors shift mean that at some angles you get colors that just don't work (an the iridescence shifts the color from purple to brown to yellow, or whatever). I love the relief of the tile though. Porcelanosa has some similarly-patterned tiles in either matte or gloss white, without iridescence.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, cawaps.

I'm leaning toward the Silver Pine with the Duxbury in the mudroom. I agree, I really am not a fan of the Dragonfly

Yes, the backsplash does have some iridescence to it. But i really love it. I actually don't have much area where there will be back splash - largest expanse will be over the cook top.

I do appreciate your feedback though. I definitely don't want my kitchen to end up being gaudy, so that's something to think about.

• seatoon
    9 years ago

Ah, it's so hard to tell in pics! They all seem to go.
    On my monitor I like Silver Pine in the top pic the best.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like silvery pine with the black rub if you are looking for more contrast. I also really like the duxbury gray without rub. What a beautiful kitchen you will have!! How large will your island be?

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The island will be 83"

does anyone have thoughts on durability of darker colors as painted lower cabs? my KD and the cabinet guy are both encouraging me to go rub thru for island base and for mudroom because it will wear better since it already will look a bit worn.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would assume darker colors would hide a lot more of the wear and tear of daily use.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Anything pre-patina-ed will hide wear better. I think medium colors generally hide dirt and wear the best. Scratches through the paint, for example, will show the least on the color closest to the wood. Same as for a hardwood floor--dark stain shows scratches and dust and pet hair more than medium. Or a car, black is much harder to keep clean looking than a medium grey.

• summeroh
    9 years ago

I love the duxbury with the black accent. Beautiful!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I can speak of a dark piano that shows dust and dirt much more easily than lighter colors.

Pipdog had a kitchen with both black and white cabinets in it. IIRC, she remarked that the black cabinets were higher maintenance than the white ones, that the black showed dust, dings, prints, etc very quickly. You could probably give her a shout out or PM her to get more details since this is not a clear memory for me. ; )