Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Which fan? (3 choices - please vote!) w/ pics

bellajourney
12 years ago

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of um...fans. Functionally, they are terrific, aesthetically - less than desirable. This was one battle that DH won. And so - we are getting a fan...

There are 3 contenders. DH wants white, so it is less noticeable and "blends away" into the ceiling. I'm concerned that white might look out of place b/c:

1) Chandelier over breakfast nook is ORB

2) Faucet is chrome, appliances are stainless

3) Hardware - undecided - but I'm leaning towards chrome or nickel (DH wants ORB) with maybe a few glass knobs

Kitchen style goal is simple cottage with touch of elegance. (Wall paint will be light, warm green - color in photo is primer and not accurate. Backsplash will be white beadboard or subway tile.)

Please vote for your favorite! Thank you!

Comments (28)

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like the pewter (I'm also taking blade color into account--but I know they're often reversible).

The fan will be just fine in there. But then I don't think they're unattractive, except maybe the white ones. :P

Mmmm. I like that kitchen.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Try the link below. It is the fan we have in several rooms. It would work with a cottage type look and esp with the silver metal finishes. This pic shows it in nickel but we have the chrome version.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• suzyqtexas
    12 years ago

I think I would do the pewter with the blades that match your floor. I don't like white fans, don't think they blend.

• sochi
    12 years ago

I vote for pewter too.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Here's my thinking.

I don't like them either. But, they serve a good purpose. I have one in my master bedroom and I couldn't stand it. We took it down and painted it completely white so it just blends away with the ceiling. Now, it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

So, I think if you don't want one becuase of the look, then make it blend it and not be a focal point.

Just my 2cents.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

How about the invisible fan? We love it. It was a big splurge. I did shop around and found it reasonably.

Here is a link that might be useful: invisible fan

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I can't tell from the pictures, but I think if you have standard ceilings (8') I would go with the white...it will blend in with ceiling and cabinets, and won't look so imposing in the space. If your ceilings are taller, you can get away with the other two...I like the pewter!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I would get the smallest one I could. The ceilings aren't real high and the fan blades will make it seem smaller and shorter. This one is 12.5" by 44".

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerson Curva Sky 44

• jeanz
    12 years ago

I agree with Bmorepanic, just above. Less is more. Smaller is better. IMHO, most, if not all, ceiling fans are not terribly attractive. But definitely clear or white to blend into the ceiling as much as possible.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I just love this forum! Thank you all so much for your helpful, thoughtful replies!

Reading through your replies, I realize that I left out two pieces of info:

- We're on a pretty tight budget (I hate saying that - it would be so nice to say - Budget is no object! Sigh) - So sadly, keeping it to $100 or less is key. Sorry. :(

- We do have 8' ceilings (Thank you, joaniepoanie, for pointing that out!)

The votes seem to be split 3 ways: pewter, white, or a new stealthy contender. The new, cleverly designed contenders are Really cool, but (cringe) out of budget. (But thank you dianalo, cluelessincolorado, sixtyohno, and bmorepanic for your suggestions!)

That leaves the pewter (blades shown are mahogany and reverse to ash), and white. Both are 44". The white is a matte white.

I'm afraid I'm still torn. Looks-wise, the pewter is pretti"er," but I am worried about the 8' ceiling thing. Some think the white would blend away (which I'm All for) - but some disagree. We would need to use the lighting on the fan, since the kitchen does not have recessed lighting. Not sure if that would change anyones' opinion.

Thank you again for your replies! Please keep them coming! The electrician will start installing our lighting and soon to be purchased fans tomorrow.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

Please ignore everything but the fans - the white is a matte finish, and we decided to leave the light off for now. If we need it we'll go with something more of a single globe so it's not as noticable, though the fan did come with three like the one in your picture

This is a picture after we painted the ceiling, but before we put the fan back up. The previous color was much more "yellow" the new color is the same as the trim. Wainscoting will be too - some day. . .

If you want, I can take a picture of the fan and the painted ceiling and post that when I get home - don't have the chandelier back up yet though.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

The Emerson Curva Sky 44 would look great in your kitchen....IMHO.

• fnzzy
    12 years ago

all my ceilings in my house are 8foot and I have a ceiling fan in just about every room, all with light fixtures, and none have ever been a problem. You just need to make sure you're finding one that CAN be flush mount. The box will tell you for sure. :)

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

macybaby - thanks so much for the photos! They are helpful. I can already see how the newly painted white ceiling will help the white fan blend in. If you have time to post a photo with the fan installed, I'd love to see it! (Your trim is GORGEOUS, btw. I really wanted to do craftsman trim, but we already have lots of colonial style trim in our colonial and just stuck with that.)

MichelleDT - thanks for your vote! I agree that it is beautiful, but it's unfortunately out of budget.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Is 14.5" too tall for 8' Ceiling?

The contenders that I posted at the top can be as short as 14.5" (without the little downrod installed). Is that too tall for an 8' ceiling?

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, buffettgirl! Do you know how tall your fans are with the light fixtures? I'm thinking that maybe I need to start searching for something shorter...

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

To be honest, I think the models you have displayed are way too big for that space. You need to look for 'hugger' models, ones designed to not use a drop bar and mount directly to the ceiling. I have a Hunter in brass in my BR like this. 4-blades, very quiet. Similar to what Macy shows but a bit shorter.

There's no way something that big with lights on it will 'disappear' into the ceiling.

• Shira S
    12 years ago

I would put a temp $10 fixture there and save for the right fan

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

weedmeister - thanks for your reply! The drop bar shown is optional. It is 14.5" tall without it. Do you think that's still too tall? How tall is your hugger model?

saw50st8 - I appreciate your honest reply. Thank you! Do you think 14.5 tall x 44 wide is too big as well? Maybe we should just stick a dinky light up there and save, per your suggestion. We're in the NE, and don't need the fan until summer anyway...hmmmm....

------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who has scrolled down this far, here are the 2 fans (no one seemed to like the bronze) WITH the dimensions.

Are they too big?

Thanks again!

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I like the pewter finish, but I think you need to get a hugger fan because they are MUCH closer to the ceiling, which will be your friend. You can find lots of options in your budget on Amazon or HD. I got most of the 12 fans in my new house for under 100 from those places. Last year, winter was a good time to shop, too!

• macybaby
    12 years ago

My ceiling is 7' 9", and the room is 9' wide. The fan is 52" and hangs down 9" from the ceiling.

We need a fan in that location, but wanted it less visible as this was a den turned into a dining room. It's visible from the kitchen - and this view is one of the first a person sees when they exit the entryway.

Don't mind the messy kitchen, DH and I processed three deer this weekend and things got shoved around so we'd have lots of counter space.

Here is another view of the old fan - though the wallpaper helps create a distraction LOL!

at least in that one the kitchen is clean.

This is the fan with lights- on display at Lowes (Harbor Breeze). We paid $70-$80 for the fan with lights. The hard part was finding one with a matte finish, most white ones are shiny.

• clooney161
    12 years ago

I think part of what makes fans unattractive for me, are the glass shades. We have ceiling fans in the bedrooms for practicality, but I went with the single glass shade to "pretty" them up, if that is possible.

And while I generally don't like white, maybe one with a little of the silver would blend in nice?

• momfromthenorth
    12 years ago

I had this dilemna years ago. We started out with a ceiling fan that has a stainless body (or chrome if you will) and white blades. After a few years, I ended up replacing the blades with wood blades that matched other wood in our kitchen because the white blades 1. discolored 2. showed every bit of dust/dirt and kitchen goo and I was constantly cleaning them.

Don't get me wrong - I do clean my fan blades often but the white blades just looked icky after a while. So you might get more longevity out of a chrome/stainless fan with wood blades that match your wood floor as in the picture of the hunter fan above this post or the pewter one you posted with the wood blades.

Good luck! Your kitchen is lovely - enjoy!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Ours is a Hunter fan installed on a white ceiling above our dining room table. I think we paid $79. We have brushed nickel pendants over the nearby peninsula and brushed nickel hardware. The drop from the ceiling is 18" and the diameter is 54".

Notice the shape of the light. Our old fan had 3 lights like the ones you showed. Little did we know that that sort of light will always cause glare on your reading surface below!

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I know this is a little over your budget $159 at lowes but this is what I would do.

I have 7 1/2 ft ceilings in my master bedroom and have a flush mount fan and its no problem.

Not sure this link is working so the item number is Item #: 144477 : Model #: 3MVR44BSD allen and roth at lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=144477-29369-3MVR44BSD&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3283952&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Here is a link that might be useful: lowes fan

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The best price I could find for mine is $205, with $3.95 shipping at YHS, so it is not crazy over budget. If this is a permanent choice, I'd try to make it the best I could. I know $100 seems like a lot (am strapped right now too), but it is one fixture and you should have it for many years. I look back at some of my choices and wish I had a re-do button. If we had to do it again, I'd definitely choose our fans. We started using 1 before the reno in our master and it still looks the same as the new ones. We get actual compliments, which as you can see by this thread, is a big deal since ceiling fans are not very "in" right now. I happen to love a well designed one and yet am not thrilled with the cheap looking ones. I think this one looks upscale without breaking the bank. It makes it look like something you want and not something you are trying to hide....
    http://www.yourhomesupply.com/p-453-48-hunter-white-ceiling-fan-retro-25751.aspx

• Leslie.in.NC
    12 years ago

I just bought ceiling fans for all our bedrooms at Home Depot. They were all under $100 and you could flush-mount them, which is good for your ceiling height. I personally like the pewter and black and find it to be a "richer" look than the white. If you end up hating the black blades they can always be switched out, and the pewter would still look good. I was also really picky about wanting to put "normal" light bulbs in my ceiling fans and HD had the only fans compatible with regular old incandescent bulbs!

• Shira S
    12 years ago

I don't particularly like ceiling fans, so I'm not sure I am the right person for advice :-D

I do really like the allen + roth one posted. I don't like the 3 bulbs and it just looks bulky.