Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mb

Finished white small open contemporary-Thanks to all

emily_mb
13 years ago

Thank you your help. I am posting this with the hope that it helps others who are going through the process.

We remodeled to open the kitchen to living areas and increase the amount of daylight and air circulation. The amount of storage is the same as I had before, but it�s much more convenient and accessible. I went for a kitchen that would be open and in the middle of everything when I was in it, but that would not scream out for attention when I was in another section of the living space.

The remodel was an absolute nightmare. I still have a couple of things to fix and I have to decide if I want to paint the bits of wall. Below are specific features with their pros, cons, and notes.

Arclinea lacquered cabinets PRO: Easily wipe clean with microfiber cloth and water; solid construction CON: Expensive

Liebherr refrigerator � vented through the back wall into the study Counter depth; PRO: VERY well thought out design of shelves and drawers; very good use of space; alarm if door isn�t well closed CON:Panel for door has to be routed to less than 25 lbs. and installation of panel can be tricky The panel had to be routed twice for door to close well � alarm kept going off. Door panel still a little lopsided. A great part of the problem (if not all) was due to my inept installers. Door might not be at all finicky with a competent installer. Yes, I would buy it again.

Sharp Microwave � placed under the counter PRO Clean kitchen look from DR and LR CON: Not as convenient as waist level placement I knew this placement would be a compromise but it works great for me because all I do is heat milk for latte, steam vegetables, and re-heat leftovers.

Bosch dishwasher QUIET; cleans well; clever holder and drop down shelf for small items. CON: Most of the bottom rack seems to be designed for thin, flat plates, leaving little space between plates if you have thick, curved plates/bowls and place them close together. NOTE: I�m still rather clueless on the appropriate placement of a small utensil holder that came with it and on the "correct" placement of flatware. Are you supposed to lower the lid on the flatware holder? Even with my placement, items come out clean. Yes, would buy it again.

Sink � LINEA AQUA PRO: Low cost; largest size for space CON: It already has minor scratches. I knew it was a compromise and I�m OK with it.

Cookteck induction wok 2500 WATTS PRO; You can cook almost anything in a wok CON: Amount of space it requires underneath. I gave up a drawer that I would not have had to give up had I gone with a Fagor 30 inch. NOTE: I love it, love it, love it. It�s the smartest thing I did. Very happy with this unit but if I were to do it again, I would not be afraid of buying the strongest one.

Fagor induction burners PRO: Good price. Without a doubt, induction is the way to go. CON: shut down once, maybe because I was using two large pots. The pot on the front burner can�t be much bigger than the circle. Or maybe because some water spilled. Dried up the water, cooled the control panel with ice and it came right back. Given the same budget and space, I would buy it again.

Fagor 24" side open door oven; placed on the side to minimize its visibility. 24"; VERY roomy for being only 24"; PRO: Low cost; tremendously well thought out racks, rack pull-outs; 5 rack levels. No visible coils on bottom. Rack rails supposedly easy to remove for cleaning. Wipes clean really easily. CON: Worst manual I have ever seen in my life! It has multiple settings and no indication as to which setting to use for various foods. Temperature marks on dial are in 50 degree increments. Not self cleaning. NOTE: I fit a 12 pound turkey and a pie�and could have fit another pie next to it. I "think" it is faster than a traditional oven. I�m not a big oven user, so I�m not a good judge of ovens. Nonetheless, given the same budget, I would buy it again.

Placement is GREAT for me.

Three burners only-- Good compromise for me because I wanted the wok. I also have an electric skillet that I used once in the past three months, and I might buy a rice cooker.

Futuro Futuro Luxor 48" hood Sleek look; Works well "enough." Wonderful, powerful light that doesn�t hurt eyes and does not heat the kitchen. Easy to clean glass and "paint" finish. CON: If the steam is strong (stir fry), it doesn�t capture slim plumes that rise immediately in front of the cook; Installation was a nightmare. The manual does not explain the installation for a dropped ceiling. You have to call in. NOTE: No island hood could overcome breeze from open 14th story balcony door, but the test will be in summer when the windows stay shut; Much, if not all, of the installation nightmare was due to my installers. I should have installed it closer to the edge of the counter, but I was afraid I would hit my head. I use the light ALL the time. Second light I turn on � after the backsplash. Prefer it over the ceiling lights. I chose the larger model for island-to-fixture proportion and I am glad I did.

Kitchen layout �island with cook top PRO: Fits well in existing floor pattern. An island works SO well with multiple cooks, for serving, for having company while you cook. WOW! CON: Cross-breeze blows stem away when the cook top is not against the wall. Layout was the best compromise given all the things that I wanted and I am VERY happy with it.

Kitchen layout- choice of drawers, pull outs and cabinets � trash and recycle at right island corner. Shallow pantries make everything accessible; Doors hide charging station; bread cutting board and bread; electric espresso machine (Electric espresso machine has to be placed sideways.) CON: Very limited space between island and pantry is a design compromise I�m willing to live with. NOTE: The "appliance garage" (toaster and small drip coffee maker) was what I came up with from a door that had been damaged and was replaced by the company. It�s my compromise from a long list of things I wanted (light, hide appliances, landing space next to the refrigerator, uncluttered look). Tambour seemed too traditional looking. It�s not the most attractive; but it �s OK.

Cabinet handles and pressure latches -- Ikea PRO: inexpensive CON: Pressure latches don�t open far; May try to replace one with a more expensive version NOTE: The drawers were not supposed to have dampers so that I could install pressure latches. They came with dampers; a good thing because I don�t know how I would have installed the pressure latches on drawers because there is very little space behind the drawer.

Lit backsplash � remote control (in the drawer) LED lights and acrylic panels made to order. Love the light. No heat, SO easy on the eyes; sleek look Took me forever to come up with what I wanted, how to do it, acrylic cut to size; integrate with appliance garage� Ended up installing it myself. Made a mess of the silicone. One seam still looks hideous. But it�s my favorite light. First one that comes on, last one that goes out.

Light switches and electric plug behind short wall; electric plugs inside the island cabinets, electric plug inside each pantry PRO: Clean look CON: Not as convenient. Have to leave door ajar if something is plugged in. I�m Ok with the compromise. I use few small appliances � mostly a small breadmaker (haven't used the hand held blender in months, and the food processor once in 3 months)

Recessed halogen ceiling lights . It's the look I wanted inspired by Kreon lights that would have cost $11,000 CON: Difficult to find fixtures that small almost never use them because they are hot and because the LED backsplash and hood are so much better.

Quartz countertop--fabulous!

http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss231/emily_mb/

Here is a link that might be useful: open white contemporary kitchen

Comments (43)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very nice:)

• doonie
    13 years ago

Great job! I'm curious is this a condo? The view in one of your pre photos looked like you have an ocean view?

I'm so wishing I had an induction wok! Who knew there was such a thing.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Stunning!

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, doonie. It is a condo. There are portable induction woks.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Functional problems noted, this kitchen LOOKS amazing, day and night. No hints of the difficult birth.

I live in a city of older dwellings and am not much into modern, but I am pretty sure I could levitate while cooking in your serene elegant new kitchen.

Heartiest congratulations.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Wow, very sleek. I love your lit backsplash.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

What a great sleek kitchen. You did a wonderful job. the backlit backsplash is amazing.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Sleek and so Mod!!!

Groovy!!!!

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Anyone wish to suggest a wall color? (tiny walls) Continue the LR color or match the white cabinets for an even more blended in look?

PS. Floor re-finishing is still a "to do"

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Wait till the floor is done before you consider paint / wall tint. It might end up being a half drop of a couple colors in a gallon. Overall, no need for walls of color here. Good job!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Very nice, I'm all over the modern looks these days, can't get enough.

Great job!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Emily- Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! I love the hood that lights up in the evening...and that everything is tucked away, out of sight. Very sleek and contemporary :)

• morton5
    13 years ago

Great job-- the quality of the cabs is very evident. Love your lighting, especially the backsplash and the recessed ceiling lighting-- I have not seen lighting done that way before, and it's cool!

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

This is what I imagine a model's kitchen looks like : ) and what I wish the inside of my mind looked like. In control. I think you nailed your intent. Striking kitchen that is unobstrusive too. Well done.
    Thanks for all the details. I am probably getting the Fagor regular door oven and I am now prepared to toss the manual aside.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Emily, it looks fantastic!!! I remember all the work you put into making the design work with the floor, and opening up the wall--it all came out great! Love the drama lighting!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

That is one gorgeous looking kitchen! Not long ago I posted in another thread about how, if I ever move from my old house, it will be to a high rise, modern condo and that I will do a totally modern kitchen. Analysisparalysis, you are now officially on notice: if that ever happens, your kitchen is one to be included in my inspiration folder. Take a bow for excellence and enjoy!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Sleek and sexy - LOVE it! Is that a wall of storage cabinets perpendicular to the sink/ref wall? I love how built in it is. And that wok in the island is just about the coolest thing ever.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I just added MY inspiration kitchen to photobucket. The best thing about my kitchen it is that it is very functional. Saturday we had 8 people working/talking around the kitchen island. Also, I can't rave enough about the LED backsplash. The light is so different from halogen and from florescent!

Yes, the cabinets are 12" deep, so everything is very accessible.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

onedogedie, Why regular door Fagor? The side-opening door is SO convenient! You can access things very well without the door being in the way. Besides, if something drips, it's easier to wipe the floor than the door.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

When I saw those photos I figured they were out of a modern magazine. I can't believe how urban and chic it is! You did a fantastic job. And, as you mentioned, the best part is how it functions for you! Congrats on a job well done. Enjoy!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This change to your dwelling is so significant that it makes an entirely new place out of it. Athough you say you hoped to make the kitchen a mimimalized link between the adjacent spaces, you've made a space so special that it is no mere hyphen, it's a Brooklyn Bridge! The consistent aesthetic and the integrated lighting are particularly noteworthy.

I suspect that the "emily mb kitchen" will be referred to by posters and lurkers for years to come, a true different drummer that begins a new parade.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Awe-inspiring! It's like looking at a Rothko, very soothing.

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Emily....

Very nice job! You nailed your 'inspiration' kitchen.

LOVE! the lit backsplash.

Thank you for sharing.

Pepper

• marthavila
    13 years ago

OMG, what I meant to say is that your kitchen, Emily, is a potential future inspiration kitchen for me!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think you missed when you wanted it to not scream out for attention, lol. This is a gorgeous space that rightfully deserves a lot of attention! I know it is not technically large, but when I look at it, it seems expansive and plenty big. I bet it functions like one that is much bigger.

If I had those views, I'd want to see them too. I think you created an interior view with this kitchen as well ;)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That is a gorgeous modern kitchen. And I love the LED backsplash and the glowing hood. Uber cool.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Understated and lovely, well done. The lighting and floors are fantastic. And the wok! I'm so envious.

Enjoy!

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for your all your praise.

Sochi, the floor was the bane of my existence and one of the sreason for the remodel. It's an old floor (30? 40? years old) and the space is where the DR used to be. The original kitchen was in what is now the study. On condo conversion, the developer added a kitchen with a peninsula that "cut" the rug. It always bothered me. So, I designed the island as it is now for visual coherence.

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

emily_mb - I did get excited when I realized the 24" ovens had the side door option. Alas the kitchen I am outfitting is a small galley kitchen, with the oven at the end next to the end wall. I did see in the Fagor specs that the side door required 2 feet to swing all the way open.

I hope you are baking & roasting up I storm because I know who to email if I don't know how to use the oven!

• cosmo_nj
    13 years ago

Wow - that is beautiful. I love the backsplash lighting!

• ellaf
    13 years ago

really love it. Awesome job. I wish you many happy cooking and eating adventures.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazing! Your new kitchen redefines all the public spaces in your condo in such a beautiful way! And you've packed so much function into a relatively small space which I'm sure doesn't feel or work like a small space. I don't think I've ever seen anyone nail their inspiration photo on the head like you have! If you don't design kitchens for a living, I think you should! Congratulations!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Very cool, sleek, and as others have said, stunning. Good job with the island and the floor. I love the asymmetrical result.

• njmamma
    13 years ago

WOW- it is gorgeous! My taste is not modern at all but I am in LOVE with your kitchen. It definitely looks like it belongs in a a magazine! Enjoy!!

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In response to emailed question-- posted here for others who might be interested --
    The light from the hood is NOT glaring and I believe that I can be trusted on that because I am very sensitive to light. Never out without sunglasses. How is this for an explanation, the LED light from the backsplash is silk and the light from the hood is sateen cotton :)

Noise? subjective. It's definitely not the Bosch dishwasher, which I might not know it's running if it weren't for the light, but I think it's quiet.

The wok -if I have more than a pound and a half of beef or chicken cold from the refrigerator, I split it into 2 batches so that the wok temperature won't drop too much, too long. Otherwise, with vegetables, it's great.

• detroit_burb
    13 years ago

I think it is elegant and understated, great design.

Can you give details about how you did the lit backsplash?

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The LED light strip is plugged into an outlet that is on the wall of the appliance garage. The strip came with peel-off backing. So, I attached it to the underside of the ledge. On top of that I placed an acrylic (1/8" thick) 3 sided cover (sides and bottom) made especially for the space and caulked it in place with transparent silicone. The acrylic cover came from a local shop that I found on line. it was $75 plus about 4 or 5 trips, plus about 10 phone calls. ("Yes, I do want the measurements exact." "Hi, XXX, this is Emily, how are you? Is it ready yet?")

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

That is one dramatically beautiful kitchen. Were you able to vent the hood or is it recirculating? (Are you in FL, by any chance?)

I looked at the fagor side-opening oven, but knowing myself I'd be among those who've complained they tend to burn themselves on it, but that's just me.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>Anyone wish to suggest a wall color? (tiny walls) Continue the LR color or match the white cabinets for an even more blended in look?

I think you could do either, but one thing I would do is to get some new doors for the living room closet that are more in tune with the terrific modern vibe in the kitchen.

I just can't get over what a great job you did.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point about doors -study and foyer- problem is that one of them is a/c closet and others because of humidity, must ventilate. Suggestions for contemporary and vent ?

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I'm in Fl. Why would you burn yourself on the door? Does not swing closed

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

> Does not swing closed

Old dogs. Some people find that it's just second nature to put out an elbow towards a swing door. Not a design flaw in the product or anything like that. I KNOW I would do this. Probably only once, though. :)

Yeah, that is tricky about the AC closet. But it seems like there ought to be something out there, although I don't know what it would be.