Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catamount90

My new backsplash (nat cherry cabinets, dakota mahogany granite)

catamount90
11 years ago

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since i've posted here but I just started my DIY backplash project and thought I'd post some updates.

I have natural cherry cabinets and dakota mahogany granite and had a hard time finding a blackplash that worked with both. My wife and I wanted a subtle, neutral look. Maybe this will give someone with a similar combination some ideas.

This was our kitchen right after the granite was installed. The cherry has really darkened in the couple of years since.

We decided on Crema Ivory Bamboo stone, available at any Home Depot.

http://www.msistone.com/bsinfo.aspx?bsid=110

We are shooting for this final look:

I started this past weekend, in the corner where I could interlock two sheets. It's finicky stuff, and the small tiles tend to want to move around a bit until they've set, hence the random spacers.

Will continue to lay tiles this coming weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tiles up and under my window sill trim. I think I'll pull it off and backcut the trim slightly with a router so the tiles can be pushed up and under.

Stay tuned!

Comments (38)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

That's going to look very nice when it's all done! A subtle, yet "polished" look that will finish off your kitchen perfectly!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

That looks great. AND it looks like so much work, you should be so proud. About 1/2 a foot through it I would be on the floor(sobbing) and dialing a tiler.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Wow that looks great. What size are those tiles, they look tiny? The small format is really creating such a subtle, yet intriguing backsplash. It is quite stunning. I can't wait to see it all done and grouted. I bet you can't either :)

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Beautiful..as others have said it is subtle and elegant...you have a LOT of talent and patience ! Look forward to your finished pics...c

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That is going to look great when you are finished. I can't wait to see it done. That looks like it would be hard to do.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Beautiful tile, beautifully laid. After watching the guy who did my tile, which was much easier to lay than this, work for two days, I am impressed with your DIY job.
    Congratulations! You will enjoy this SO much. Nice to no longer belong to the ABB club!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Very nice choice & excellent job on the install.

I've searched GW for postings with your orig layout/designs as your space appears very close to my own.

Would you mind sharing your room dimensions, including your island size?

Having lived with your kitchen for a couple years, are there layout items that you might prefer to have arranged differently?

Thanx,
    tmy

• taggie
    11 years ago

Very nice, the colors look so good together. I am in absolute awe of your tiling talent!!

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for the positive responses! We felt like we were taking a bit of a risk with this tile (all that work, and what if it looks odd) but are loving the way it's coming together. Just so everyone is clear, these are 12" x 12" sheets, I am not laying out individual tiles! It goes pretty fast.

tmy_jax, I took some measurements for you. My outside wall / long run of granite is 13'. The run where the stove is is about 78" from the side of the fridge to the outside wall. The island is a 24" x 36" 3 drawer cabinet which we love and couldn't live without. I trimmed the sides with mock doors and it looks pretty sharp. The granite overhangs on 2 sides for seating. If you are looking for any other measurements, please let me know!

Figuring out what to do about tiling around the window stool took some brain power.

I decided to pull the apron, create a *new* window stool and then after grouting put the apron back on over the tile. I think this will give it a really clean look. I will use my router to make a rabbet in the back of the stool to slip over the tiles.

I've got today off so I made a little progress.

I'm now getting low on sheets, I have 3 left. Unfortunately I cleaned my local HD out of this tile, and it'll be 5 days until they get any more in. Stay tuned!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Bummer - how did I miss your post - soon to be a alumnus of the ABB Club!!
    Looking great!!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update catamount90!

I really like the finished ends. It looks like such a practical workspace.

Did you leave 12" overhangs on the two sides of the island for seating (making the top ~ 36"x48")?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Wow! that is beautiful and just so very cool. And your DIY talents are to be envied. I am always impressed by those with DIY talents so congrats on your work.

Hopefully you will post a finished pic.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Your backslash will be beautiful when you are finished. I am still impressed with your workmanship even though the tiles are 12 x 12 sheets. You should pat yourself on the back!
    MJ

• Terri
    11 years ago

That looks really nice! When I first saw the tile I thought it would be to busy, but it's not. Good job!

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's update... there was a slight delay there as I was waiting for HD to receive more of these tiles. This afternoon I will be renting a wet saw to make the final "straight" cuts (where the tile meets the trim) and then it's time for grout!

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I rented a wet saw and made all of the difficult straight cuts to finish the tiling portion of this job. Next up... grout and then fixing the window trim!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Wow! That looks great! I really admire you for doing this yourself. It looks very daunting but I am sure you are getting a better job doing it yourself and taking your time. It is looking really good. Can't wait to see it all finished.

• snowbean
    11 years ago

Impressive work and lovely kitchen !

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Looks great! You have a lovely kitchen!

• amandapadgett
    11 years ago

Love this! Thank you for sharing the journey, a step at a time. It's so neat to see the process. (I'm only DIY when it comes to paint)

I love the backsplash. Not busy, neutral tones, gives the cabinets/countertops that extra something.

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My latest update: I built a new window stool out of poplar and routed a small cove in the bottom of it. The ends were rabbeted to fit over the tile under the window (so I wouldn't have to cut tiles to match up to the stool & apron).

Our window trim used to be just a thick trim piece, so I think this will look better. Old "apron" with new stool on top.

Also finished grouting today.

I'll post a finished shot as soon as I get the window trim mounted & painted!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

• frozenelves
    11 years ago

I love that tile from HD. I hope to use it somewhere, not sure if kitchen or bath. Question: I've been wondering how to grout it and have the grout be recessed so the tiles pop. It looks like that's what you did. What method did you use to achieve that? I've felt that if the grout were flush, it wouldn't be as interesting. Also, what color grout did you use? Thanks!

• Fori
    11 years ago

That is so cool. Looks like fabric or grasscloth from a distance. (in a good way!) Nice work.

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Question: I've been wondering how to grout it and have the grout be recessed so the tiles pop. It looks like that's what you did. What method did you use to achieve that? I've felt that if the grout were flush, it wouldn't be as interesting. Also, what color grout did you use? Thanks!"

Hi frozenelves8. That grout is unsanded Bone from Custom Building Products (also available at Home Depot). It is the same color grout used in the example Home Depot uses:

Also, the "recessed grout" happens when running a sponge over the grout. That is just part of grouting and will happen no matter which grout you decide on. You will remove more or less depending on how much pressure you apply to the sponge as you wipe it down. Generally though, it's hard to mess up.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I love what you have done, this was no easy job, it looks fabulous. Please post more shots from a distance to show it when it is finished. Grout makes all the difference. I love it!!

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, this will be my last update. The trim is back up and the window stool has been painted. I still need to grout the line between the counters and backsplash but for now this is a wrap. It's been a fun DIY project!

• Fori
    11 years ago

I want to touch it. :)

Incidentally, do you think it'll be hard to keep clean?

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Very nice look! For those narrow tiles it does not look busy at all. It really looks great. Congrats.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

It looks fantastic! I'm so impressed. How did you finish off the end run underneath the cabinets? Got a close-up pic by any chance?

• catamount90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope it's not hard to keep clean. That said, after along time living with white walls we only had a couple of spots on them over the course of 4 years. We just don't seem to "splatter" much. We're not too concerned.

Thanks, wi-sailorgirl. On the end of each run I used a wetsaw to make perfectly straight cut. I spaced it 1/16" from the trim. It looks like this on the refrigerator side, and looks identical on the other end.

I also bumped into the trim around the window, so I did the same thing there = spaced by 1/16" and made a nice crisp cut using a wetsaw (rented it for 1/2 day).

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Awesome job... looks great!

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful look! Great craftsmanship too! I love the tile.

Jodi-

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, looks great! It must give you a big smile every time you look at it and know you did that with your own hands.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

Your backsplash is gorgeous and I am very impressed that you did it yourself. It's absolutely perfect and pulls the whole room together! Nice job.

• baharrig
    9 years ago

I am considering using this backsplash in my newly remodeled kitchen,
    which is very similar in cabinet and counter colors, and almost an
    identical layout except we had a "peninsula" installed on the right end
    (L-shaped counter) instead of an island due to space. How do you feel
    about how the tile squares meet? In photos online at Home Depot I can see a pattern since the edge tiles are not as scattered and meet like zippered ends.

• Roy Teal
    8 years ago

To eliminate the zipper ends look I cut out about 5 to 7 paired stones at each joint. Then I patched in a single longer stone to span the joint. It added about 2 days to the project, but I think it was worth it. Also, using a grout that matches the color or the stone helps too. Bone or Linen are both good.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County