Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Trash pullout under sink?

numbersjunkie
14 years ago

Does anyone have this?

Putting a trash pullout next to my sink cabinet does not seem to work very well because I have only 24" on either side of my 36" sink base. Most trash pullouts are 15" or 18", leaving me little space for anything else on that side of the sink. I should point out that I plan to include a double trash pullout elsewhere in the kitchen, so this will not be my main trash can. Also, I am looking at sinks with an offset drain so I should have quite a bit of clearance on one side.

If I do this, should I mount the handles like a pullout or like a regular cabinet?

Comments (16)

• morton5
    14 years ago

I have trash and recycling pullouts underneath my prep sink, in a 30" base. I love them, and don't find them difficult to access. With a 36" sink cab, I think you would have room for at least one pullout-- you may need to keep the other side clear for a DW connection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pullouts under sink

• artemis78
    14 years ago

@jeri, did your pullouts actually pullout with the doors (e.g., you pulled the door the way you would with a trash pullout) or did you open the doors and then pull the trash out?

We're planning to do under-sink pullouts of some variety for trash and recycling, and I'm trying to figure out what would work best...I like the idea of only one step but had only seen it in Ikea modifications. Just wondered if others had done it other ways! We'll have either a 30" or 36" sink cabinet with no disposal, so there should be decent room in there for it.

Also, @numbersjunkie, I know 12" pullouts do exist---though it may depend on your cabinetmaker. I don't know how useful the remaining 12" of space would necessarily be, though.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I was planning the same thing, but we went with two bins side by side and not on pullouts. For us, it was an issue with the deep sink and just barely having clearance for the pullout bins. Even small items would require us to pull the bins out and the bins would be smaller than I was sure I would be comfortable with. The idea is not a bad one, but do check you clearances.

With freestanding bins, they have a larger capacity but sit lower and we can put many things in the trash without having to pull the bins out. Our daily cleaning supplies sit in a basket in between them and the occasional use supplies sit behind one of the bins. The rear on the other side is home to the instant hot tank.

We put a pullout next tot he prep sink, and I like being able to pull it out and wipe things directly into it. The sink cabinet there has our pet food and treats.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I have a pull out on one side, regular door on the other. In my case, we couldn't get the plumbing moved back far enough to have a full depth drawer, and went with a 12" one instead, which is fine for my trash, and lets me store stuff behind. The other side has the recycling and compost pail.

I worried about the handle positioning for ages, and then decided to position them differently, to make it clear to people how each door opens. It probably looks a bit odd to some, but I like its quirkiness.

• lauriec
    14 years ago

Jeri can you post a pix of your setup under the sink?

Thx

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Well, just to go low-tech on you, have you considered doing something simple like a can that attaches directly to the door?

In our previous home I had something similar to this and it worked out great for us (no 2-step process...just open the door and the bin is right there).

We also had a double cabinet pull-out, but it was further away from the sink so we used both bins for recycling. I liked having the trash right next to the sink.

It's a simple and inexpensive way to go, but possibly not a large enough bin for you. Just a thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: Door Mounted Trash Bin

• shmoop
    14 years ago

We used to have a trash can attached to the cabinet door. It wasn't big enough to be useful, but the biggest problem was that I felt as though I was getting trash cooties on my hands every time I lifted the lid to throw something out. As a result, we ended up letting things pile up on the counter and then throw everything out at once. Not a good look.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Yep! IKEA! :-)

This is not mine, but mine is *very* similar.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

Yes! that's what we have (except that it's the short drawer). I even used that photo to show my GC how to do it!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I'm hoping to go with a small swing out one. like shown at link below. there are several different versions there.

there's only 1 of me here - if you have other bins elsewhere in the kitchen, one of these small ones oughta do you fine under the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: under cab swing out bins

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for all your ideas and encouragement. I really think a pullout will work in my space and make good use of my sink base which might otherwise not be very functional.

I am doing Ikea cabinets right now in my laundry room and am planning to try a pullout trash bin under my sink there, so I will have experience with Ikea's components before I start my kitchen.

The handles I chose for my Ikea cabinets in the laundry are simple pulls that fit over the edge of the door and are screwed into the inside of the door. I was planning to center them on the top edge of the cabinet door. They may work for my kitchen as well, if I go with stainless, contemporary style pulls for the rest of the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the Ikea handle

• faleash
    14 years ago

I love mine! Trash and recycle on one side with pullout and regular door on the other side with storage (and the disposal, pipes, etc. Not the best pic, but...

• jeri
    14 years ago

Numbers  We are doing this in our laundry room as well. Have you placed your order? You need to purchase the drawer partition for the middle  do you know what I mean? IÂd be happy to elaborate if you want me too.

Also, you can go with the standard doors and false drawer fronts or a taller door and no drawer fronts. We went with the standard false drawer fronts since it really didnÂt add anything to the drawer because of the sink depth. I figured the false drawer fronts would keep the sink hidden and it does. We still have plenty of room for tall kitchen trash cans.

The picture I posted has the taller doors and no false drawer fronts.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeri -

I did not buy the trash pullout stuff yet because the Ikea salesperson told me it could not be done. Fortunately, I never take a salespersons word for anything :)

I do have the drawer partition for the middle though, because I bought stuff to do 2 15" drawers and then decided to get a big 30" drawer front. I have 2 30" cabinets side by side and wanted a big drawer on the other cabinet.

I know the partition has to be mounted at the base - how did you do it? Can you tell me what else I need for the trash pullout? The website is very confusing.

TIA

• jeri
    14 years ago

You will need 2 RATIONELL drawers. They come in Deep or Shallow and they also have short (12 inch) ones. I prefer the Deep drawers, but we did have to go with one shallow because of pipes. So you will have to measure for this. You can also get the super cool dampers for these!

Here is another picture from IKEA Fans. This is a good shot of how the deep drawer was installed. You can also see these folks used the shorter drawer on the right.

The drawer partition is installed on the bottom  in the middle. Do you see it? You will receive instructions on how to install this on the top, but basically you screw it on from the bottom before installing the cabinet.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA