Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leonardlikespizza

Can a quarter sawn or black kitchen be fun?

leonardlikespizza
12 years ago

Hello.... We are looking for whatever assistance/guidance anyone is willing to offer: we are smack dab in the thick of an unplanned kitchen gut remodel (long story) and are at the point where we absolutely HAVE to make a decision about cabinets ... The problem is that we just can't pull the trigger - every time we think we've figured it out, well... We waffle. I need help! Basically we can't decide between 3 styles - white painted cabs w/ wood counters, black cabs w/ wood or marble counters, or quarter sawn oak cabs w/ honed granite counters. I lean toward hex tile flooring for all. The kitchen is small, galley style, I think we have actually decided on the sink - a kohler wall mount - I think it's called gilford (?). What else... Our house is 1870s farmhouse in the Chicago suburbs. The kitchen that was torn out was not original in any respect. This is difficult I suppose, because it's not just a cabinet decision... It is the whole kitchen - it's all interrelated, right? I am totally overwhelmed, stressed out. I want the new kitchen to be fun and functional... We love the qs cabs but worry it could look too mission, and also too serious, if that makes sense same with the black. Sorry if this is unclear - I am going on very little sleep , this literally keeps me up all night long ( well, the kids don't let me get any rest at night either)... How the heck does anybody EVER decide all this? Thanks so much for your advice in advance...

Comments (25)

• willtv
    12 years ago

Here's a link to our recently (October 2010) renovated kitchen.
    We knew we wanted white cabs.
    We also knew we didn't want SS or white appliances.
    That left us with black appliances so we decided to go with black & white as a theme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black & White Kitchen

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Willtv's kitchen looks fun to me!

• senator13
    12 years ago

Here is my q/s cab kitchen with black counters. Mind you it is brand new, so I don't have a lot of finishing touches that I think will make it more whimsical. I have a great cow picture that is going to be hung, as well as a lot of vintage items that have color. Good luck!

From Gardenweb photos
    From Gardenweb photos
    From Gardenweb photos
    From Gardenweb photos

• karen_belle
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of our quarter-sawn MAPLE kitchen with gray countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

While QS oak does tend to speak to the Mission or Craftsman era, I don't think it has to. Stain and door style as well as other finishes (counters, tile, floor) will influence the final look as well. We're doing QS oak in a medium stain, full overlay with a beaded recessed panel door with a decorative edge (E-10, if that means anything to anybody). Our home is traditional/transitional and the cabinets fit it quite well.

However, our home was built more than a hundred years after yours so I'm not facing the challenge of making my kitchen fit my home. Do you get any clues about what your kitchen should look like from the rest of your home? Moldings, doors and other architectural features - if they are still original - should help provide some design direction.

• cheri127
    12 years ago

We have QS white oak cabinets and had to be careful with door style, molding and hardware to not have them look mission. I thin we succeeded. However, I agree with you that it's "serious" looking. I have a fun old ceramic pig that's really a three piece canister set, in an alcove above the freezer, but the kitchen has an almost formal look which would clash with anything more whimsical than that. I don't think the same would be true with white or black painted cabinets and they might look better in an 1870 farmhouse.

• lafacia
    12 years ago

This is a dark kitchen that I think looks fun and warm. It's not black or quartersawn but it's dark - and fun...I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: [dark but fun kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchenlab-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~56702)

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I am partial to quartersawn oak, but would do it with soapstone if I were in your shoes. The color of Cheri's kitchen is almost an exact match of the woodwork in the house where my dad grew up,a 1900 farmhouse.

As important as the color is, I'd think about the cabinet style even more. The feet on the examples above look great. I am not an architecture expert, but inset feels like a good choice for your home.

The other thing you have to decide is that if you want to rip out walls and things, you may have a much more functional kitchen but how true is that to your house? It's a tradeoff.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Mine is fun... I'm fun! And I live in a non-descript small early 1970's ranch house in So. Florida. We went with QS slab fronts, clear coat, with soapstone. My motivation was to allow the graining of the wood to shine, ease of upkeep, and a clean uncluttered look.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Every idea you have listed would be lovely.
    What is your favorite? I love that you want to stay true
    to the house style without giving up your loves.
    You will come up with something that works. Don't give
    up. You are already close when you say:

" ......I want the new kitchen to be fun and functional... We love the qs cabs but worry it could look too mission, and also too serious, ...."

Have you tried the sweeby test?

You might try to write a mission statement.
    What do you want your kitchen to be? What feel, mood,
    idea, style,? You have already chosen a sink. Now you can
    build on that and go with the favorites in every catagory.
    Don't let this tear you down, this is the time for fun.
    Creativity, joy and exploration into what you truly LOVE.

Here is a link to the sweeby test.

Meanwhile here are some visual ideas. I tried to find ones
    with your sink choice. And your pre-plans of

"........ white painted cabs w/ wood counters, black cabs w/ wood or marble counters, or quarter sawn oak cabs w/ honed granite counters.........."
    ~boxer

Have you thought about mixing wood, black, white and oak?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby test...

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I would definitely go for the qs oak and dark honed countertops. Not only do I love the look, but it will be by far the most durable and easiest to keep looking good. Wood or marble countertops are beautiful, but just not as durable as granite. White or black cabinets will eventually look worn. Remodelfla showed you that it doesn't have to look mission at all. I've always admired Senator13's kitchen as well. Good luck with your decision!

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I love the images and links everyone posted. For white kitchens, why don't you check out the "Design Around This" thread we did for white kitchens (see link). Some of those kitchens were definitely fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Around This #6: I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Here's how you decide.

Go out and buy $50 worth of kitchen/decor mags. Go thru them and rip out every picture that you love. Don't stop to analyze. Just go thru them all at one time. Once you're done, sort the kitchens you've chosen into types of cabinetry. Now look at those pics while standing in your kitchen. You'll know.

ps Do this after a (relatively) good night's sleep)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Mine's quartersawn and black (soapstone) and I think it's fun. Not giggle-inducing or hilarious, but fun at times.

Casey

• KristinF2012
    12 years ago

I wanted to do black cabs, but my kitchen just isn't naturally bright enough. I wound up doing a black island and I love it. If I was going for resale value I would have done a dark stain, but I have to live with it and I wanted black... so I went for it. I'm glad I did... I LOVE it. I think it still rings true to the classic look but with a little touch of modern.

We're still not complete... Moldings still need to be done and the slider is going to be changed to a french door once it warms up a bit :) But this gives you an idea. I definitely think black cabinets are fun!

• plllog
    12 years ago

I agree with what the others have said about the quarter sawn--don't use Mission or even Arts & Crafts styling, and it doesn't have to look Mission.

One way to up the fun factor is to go rather contemporary in styling. There are a lot of contemporary and "Modern" style cues that go well with historical, including simple lines, slab fronts, and chunkiness, and the quarter sawn would bridge the eras as well.

As for "fun", that depends on your definition. You could put in a fun backsplash and totally change the tone of the room. If this is too extreme, it also comes in clear. :)

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

My island is QS oak in a natural finish and the perimeter are QS with a dark red stain called Vineyard. And I have fun in my kitchen.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Not exactly being a fan of black cabinets, but not seeing anything else that would look right for our kitchen we're going with black. I too wanted to make sure my kitchen still would be a place that made a person happy to be in there.

When using black cabinets, I thought it was important to keep the upper cabinets to a minimum, have a lot of white in other areas (counters, walls) and loads of natual lighting (adding two windows).

After we got our plan decided we happened to luckily come upon a model home with a kitchen with close to our kitchen design and many of the same attributes. The kitchen had grey counters and no natural lighting in the kitchen and it still seemed fun enough. I'm anticipating a super fun kitchen.

Here's an IKEA replication we have (the best the software provides).

• cotehele
    12 years ago

This is an 1892 house. QS Oak can be many styles. Fun? I guess it depends on your definition of fun. Our kitchen is fun to cook in, fun to be in, fun to see...for me. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures here

• leonardlikespizza
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My, oh my, - do I have some thanking to do!
    Thank you so much to everyone who took a moment to sort through my gibberish and provide me with truly valuable feedback....
    I wound up being so overwhelmed, I'm embarassed to say that I couldn't even check the thread for responses! ...BUT when i did, everyone's positivity, support, encouragement and constructive ideas(not to mention the scads of amazing pictures people posted of their own kitchens and inspiration pics) really helped us focus on what we wanted, and helped ease our massive fears. This is huge for us... I can't thank you all enought for your attention and help. sob, sob.
    By the way... we went with quartersawn oak :)

• willtv
    12 years ago

Pictures please.

• drainbead
    12 years ago

Glad this thread got resurrected at the right time for me to post some almost-done progress pics. I'm doing a transitional kitchen with a lot of Mission elements, and I think it's pretty fun.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Cheri127,

Your kitchen really caught my eye although all of the kitchens here are lovely.

Noticed you have a combi. I have one and plan to put another in the new house we're planning. My question is about your range. It is stunning. What is it and can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks.

• chris8484
    8 years ago

Malhgold, what type of finish did you use on your floors? thanks.