Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
varar

Help with kitchen cabinet and appliance layout

VaraR
10 years ago

Hello folks,

I've been reading these amazing forums for a few years; just signed up today. Thanks everyone, for your generous, thoughtful responses here ... I hope to do the same once I finish my project.

We are in the middle of a new home build on a sloping lot with amazing views to the North and East. Framing has started. In the floorplans I post, note that all the large spans of windows and doors are towards these views, and exterior walls are committed (foundation in place), while limited adjustments are possible in interior layout.

I am a good cook, preparing roughly 80% of my meals from my repertoire, and 20% from new recipes. (The ratio changes when I'm not distracted by large projects as I am now.)

The family is vegetarian. I don't use an oven for cooking meals; it's used only for baking sweets with my kids or for warming samosas, etc. during large parties.

On weekdays, I cook a simple hot breakfast for the family and pack hot lunches for my two kids (11 and 8), either by reheating leftovers or previously frozen meals. I cook 4-5 dinners per week, eating out or getting takeout the other nights. My husband cooks breakfasts on the weekend, or we head out sometimes. Our meals are mostly Indian, and I cook some Italian, Mexican, Thai, Japanese and Chinese meals. (All fairly spicy and smelly, er, fragrant.) I like to cook when I am alone at home, so that I just reheat food, do quick prep, assembly and serve at mealtime.

So, I'm planning for a 30" cooktop in the open kitchen (breakfast, dinner time warm ups, making dosas - think crepes, making chai when friends drop in). My main 36" range will be in the closed Kitchen 2 (using my pressure cooker, blender, cooking full, messy meals when I'm alone). Kitchen 2 will also serve as a butler's pantry during parties.

We do not use a microwave to heat food, but want one in the kitchen for sterilizing items, and for visitors who want to use it. (Happens often.)

Please see my floorplan and offer critiques. Note that to keep views wide open, there are upper cabinets only along the West edge (along the bottom in the plan) of the main kitchen, and in Kitchen 2.

Happy to post more pics - I have interior elevations, etc. done as a first cut by the architect, but I need to finalize layout and appliance choices pretty soon here.

Thanks in advance!

~Vara

UPDATE Jan 20 - MORE DETAILS BELOW:

Detailed Floor Plan

Real Wall of Island Kitchen (Steam oven in location of Speed oven? debating a simple microwave or speed oven elsewhere.)

Island Range Front View (Don't want the steam oven under range ... maybe place it on rear wall in place of speed oven.):

Island Range Rear View (No longer planning a wine fridge in island):

Spice Kitchen Range View:

Spice Kitchen Sink View (Use a French Door Fridge instead of a single door, which would be in the way ...)

This post was edited by VaraR on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 2:00

Comments (10)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the reason you've not gotten some responses yet is that your plans are difficult to read. I've done several homes with a "grease" or "spice" kitchen and a public kitchen, so I'm basically familiar with your needs. I don't think that the island cooking zone will work as you envision. Most of your work will be in the mixing and chopping with only a quick bit of time on the griddle for the dosas. And your working kitchen is pretty small for the amount of work that has to happen there. You may do that work alone now, but are there children that might want and need to learn how to cook?

If you can post a more readable diagram with dimensions, that would help us to help you.

• VaraR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, live_wire_oak! Let me find some more details to post. You've put your finger on exactly what I'm worrying about ... I'd like to make sure the island cooking zone is functional for teaching children. And teaching my friends, who all seem to be turning gluten-free and/or vegetarian. They repeatedly ask for lessons instead of the boxed meals I give them now - but that's all I can handle from my tiny rental kitchen.

I am planning a 42" w 27" d high CFM island hood with a remote blower, so that I can do some of my "grease" and "spice" cooking there, without smoking up the house. What I'm worried about is counter space and accessible storage for my spices, lentils, pots and pans, since I'll have no upper cabinets.

Thanks again, and more soon!!

• swfr
    10 years ago

Mmm. Dosas and somosas. I want to be one of those friends that drops by! :)

I think this is a really interesting concept and I certainly wish I had a "spice/grease" kitchen sometimes because with the way most modern American kitchens are (including the one we just built) the greasy and smelly cooking permeates the whole house!

You'll find better advice from other people on here, but I will be intrigued to see what they say and what you end up doing. Good luck on the build! We are at the end of the same process and I have found GW to be an amazing resource for the project.

• frmrswife
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as live_wire_oak but I'm not very experienced so I don't have any advice! It all looks very neat though. I hope you work it out just right!

• VaraR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More plans and details as promised! Please help!!

Detailed Floor Plan

Real Wall of Island Kitchen (Steam oven in location of Speed oven? debating a simple microwave or speed oven elsewhere.)

Island Range Front View (Don't want the steam oven under range ... maybe place it on rear wall in place of speed oven.):

Island Range Rear View (No longer planning a wine fridge in island):

Spice Kitchen Range View:

Spice Kitchen Sink View (Use a French Door Fridge instead of a single door, which would be in the way ...)

This post was edited by VaraR on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 1:45

• VaraR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, swfr and frmrswife ... posted a bunch more details and hoping for feedback from some of the gurus!

• sena01
    10 years ago

Not a guru or expert, but just some ideas.

What's the black rectangle next to the bench(?). Any chance of moving freezer and part of the pantry cabs there and making the 2nd kitchen bigger, since main cooking will be done there?

I'm not too fond of bending, so would prefer warming drawers at a higher level and same with speed/steam ovens, whichever you use more often, have it on the top/nearby.

• VaraR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sena01.

The black rectangle is a table on lockable wheels - shown pushed against the window/window seat for use as a desk, but can be pulled out to use for extra diners during parties. We can't put anything taller than 2.5' there, because that would block views.

The architect located the warming drawer and oven, and I didn't know any better ... but I have an ancient warming drawer at waist height in my little rental kitchen and use it so much! Will definitely do what you suggest!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

Be sure you have the necessary clearance next to the fridge in the spice kitchen so the door(s) open fully.

• VaraR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, junco! I will go measure the fridge in the showroom before cabinets are finaled.