Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aqualove

ikea sektion info on ikea site

AquaLove
9 years ago

The Sektion manuals and guides are up on the IKEA site, under the "Pressroom" section. This includes sizes, prices and door styles:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pressroom/product_news_current/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Sektion Pressroom

Comments (21)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Thank you! And thank heavens, finally, the clearest most concise guide I've ever seen to illustrate the different door styles. In the cabinet buying guide PDF.

This post was edited by onedogedie on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 12:30

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Thanks. Huh, so there really is no laxarby white in the US (the shaker style).

Well, it makes me glad I don't have to be conflicted about being too mad at ikea to use their kitchens. Don't personally care for any of the available styles in the colors offered.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Writersblock - I could not use their fronts either, but there are lots of aftermarket solutions, not to mention DIY if you are into that. If the new line is anything like the old, they will remain one of the best low-cost options.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

A lot of us are very angry about IKEA right now - and wanting to boycott them for what they did with IKEAFANS and other such sites.

It does make it less of a dilemma if you don't like what they are offering...

Good to see information coming out about the new line, though. I'm curious about how the quality compares.

• denizenx
    9 years ago

"Thanks. Huh, so there really is no laxarby white in the US (the shaker style). "

Maybe because that's what I'm wanting, but sure seems like a foolish omission to me.

• denizenx
    9 years ago

oops, double post

This post was edited by wannakitchen on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 14:34

• zkgardner
    9 years ago

Isn't this the white shaker style?

• denizenx
    9 years ago

Kinda. They used to have a more elegant one. This one was the Adel. It has those vertical notches and a cream colored plastic finish.

IOW, it's close but not quite there.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Hi, mrsfireman. As wannakitchen said, close but not quite. Here's the laxarby white available in Europe, but only available here in black-brown. Much narrower stiles and rails:

• denizenx
    9 years ago

They also used to have the Tildaholm, which didn't come in white but was real wood, and from what I could tell looked pretty good painted.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Tildaholm was NICE. We used those on an island painted black (perimeter was white STAT). But it was awfully nice just plain too-- one of the nicest ikea doors, IMO.

Off-white doesn't do it for me, I'd want a painted wood door and slab isn't for me either so they don't seem to have a door that would suit me. Doesn't really matter as we need custom depth on our sink run so have already pretty much ruled IKEA out--not happy with the ikeafans issue either.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Looking at that pic from writersblock, IKEA made a major misjudgment in not making laxarby available in the US.

Sounds like we are not going to get a lot of the other goodies, either. What a shame.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I'm also wondering if the 15" deep wall cabinets won't be problematic with many over-the-cooktop microwave ovens, most of which specify maximum cabinet depth to be 13" or 14", even Whirlpool's (who makes Ikea's appliances). A deeper cabinet may interfere with the door swing at the far left that expects to extend beyond the adjacent cabinet door when opened and may infringe on the space slightly. With regular exhaust hoods that won't be a problem, but I wonder if some will look a bit ingrown surrounded by cabinets that extend 3" deeper from the wall than the hood was designed for. Many I've seen have surfaces around the sides and/or top that are designed to be flush with the surrounding cabinet fronts, which are normally 12" from the wall not 15".

It appears the base cabinets will be offered with several top drawer depths. Is one of these going to be 6" tall to match many dishwasher panels on those that take cabinet panels but have exposed controls? (as well as many 30" undercounter oven control panels). Or are they trying to match an increasing number of dishwashers that have 4" tall panels rather than 6" with those shallow drawers?

With either the Euro or US systems, I don't get what's so great about shallow drawers nestled within deeper drawers. Just seems you'll need to open two drawers to get at the lower section instead of one if you used separate drawers.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I don't know, but I like the drawers within drawers for more than one reason. First, I just like the look of fewer, deeper drawers. Secondly, though, you can take out the inner drawers if you want fewer deeper drawers and it just seems to offer a lot of flexibility.

My favorite IKEA cabinet in the old line were these small pullouts that had interior drawer options for spices, utensils, pan lids, pans, etc. Super clean look on the outside - high functionality on the inside.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I like the new line of cabinet and drawer inserts better than the old ones.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I like what I've seen so far, but I'm waiting to see what width they will be available in. The few choices of the Metod wouldn't work well and leave lots of empty spaces or bad function in my house. If you translate the Metod widths then it is approx 8, 15, 24, and 32. I did some rounding there.

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Lyfia, the U.S. Sektion sizes are available in the linked PDF. Also check the link in the first post for additional info from IKEA about Sektion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinets Buying Guide -IKEA

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Thanks DIY2Much2Do - that is exactly what I needed. Didn't see that in the original link. The original had heights and depths, but not widths from what I could find.

Looks like my broom closet/drop zone will be using IKEA boxes/drawers. Not sure what I want for fronts yet though.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I'm glad they kept the gray fronts. I am excited about playing with these drawer options. I also like the internal corner options.
    I still am not set on corner cabs or blind corners.

Guess after Feb 2 I can play with the new planner.

• lannegreenelag
    9 years ago

I was planning on using Laxarby in white as well. Is it horrible to think of painting the dark brown Laxarby? I'm sure my husband would love to paint brand new cabinets but really, none of the other styles work for me.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living