Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Q re: loading a dish drawer

bpath
9 years ago

I was looking at DishDrawers for my folks (per my ADA-compliant DWs thread) and wondered:

Can you load plates in the bottom of a drawer if you have cups in the fold-down rack above them? Or do you bonk the glasses?

Comments (10)

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question, but this link shows how I generally load mine - large & smaller plates on the bottom right, short glasses and mugs on the left flip down platform. Just be careful that whatever is loaded under the flip down shelves doesn't block the water spray.

http://www.designerhomesurplus.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/FISHER_PAYKEL_DISHDRAWER_2.jpg

I love my drawers; they are perfect for the 2 of us- quiet, clean well and so convenient, but won't be installing them in my remodel since Haier bought F&P.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Not much will fit on the shelf over dinner plates. Just flat items.

In my setup, the fold down things on the plate side are adjusted pretty high and can only hold things like spatulas, plastic lids, or knives (yes, I've started sticking my knives in because why not? There's a knife holder!).

If it's just salad plates, you can drop the shelf to hold cups. The fold down shelf on the other side holds cups with either bowls or cups/glasses beneath.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! That's very helful!

So my question also has to do with the process, I guess : if you have flat/short items on top rack, and now you have a couple of plates to out underneath, are the top items in your way?

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

Yup. I often find that I am re-arranging things as new items get added. But I do that in any dishwasher :)

With just the two of us, I can usually predict fairly well what's coming in during the course of a day and set things up accordingly. I don't wash any of my good cookware in the DW so it's just plates, bowls, mugs and glassware + flatware. I run one drawer a day, alternating between drawers.

• judeNY_gw
    9 years ago

You don't have to rearrange that often. You get into the habit of filling the left front drop down last - that is the only one that really gets in the way of the bottom.

Since the right drop down is not the full depth of the drawer that side is not an issue; small plates fit below it without moving it. Large plates fit well in the right rear. Sometimes it doesn't drop all the way down because the plate below it is too tall and then I just don't use it or I put spatulas, measuring cups, etc, there.

I put the smallest plates and saucers in the left rear and bowls in the left front. Tall glasses and mugs that are too tall for the upper racks fit all the way to the left next to the bowls or in the middle between the smallest plates and the bowls.

So the only thing going on the left drop down racks are shorter mugs, cups and glasses and those I sometimes put on the right drop down temporarily and then move them to the left front before I run the drawer.

What you don't want to do is put something too tall on the drop downs because it will interfere with the drawer cover sealing.

You might not yet be aware that the first thing that happens when you start the drawer is a cover moves over the top of the drawer sealing it; you can hear the cover motor before you hear the water.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If you are male, you cannot load a dishwasher properly. At least according to my wife.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Treb, that isn't really true. Women just like rearranging the dishes. That's what I tell Dh. We are also better at Tetris lol!

Judeny, thank you! I can totally see it now. It's like getting used to any new dishwasher, right? Glad to know how the racks flip, that one is split in the middle.

You're right, I did not know that a cover slides over. Those drawers are pretty cool.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

Treb- your wife is correct ;) my DH knows this is true, so he leaves it to me

• Fori
    9 years ago

In ours, the one upper shelf that hold the most stuff holds the same stuff as the rack beneath it so we don't rearrange that part. Fill the row, flop the shelf down, fill that. The one over the plates gets more oddball items and they tend to get tossed in randomly and then adjusted at the end of loading.

If they get this DW, have them get the tall tub version--it's easier. Even Treb could do it. He just doesn't want to. :)

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, they wouldn't be able to do the tall tub. The cavity won't accommodate a tall and a regular, so the tall tub would be all alone, and for a lot of reasons that's a no-go.

I love the user tips :)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz