Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kermit4777

Where's your switch for pendant lights over an island?

kermit4777
14 years ago

We're wiring these lights separate from the other, more general lighting in the kitchen.

But where in the world did you put your switch to turn them off and on?

Pics always welcome! Thanks!

Comments (8)

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

We have two spots: one is where you enter the kitchen from the front of the house and the other is where you enter the kitchen from the back of the house. The island is in the middle (as you would probably guess!) We put the dimmer on the back switch, because there is a set of 4 switches there (kitchen table light, recessed lights) and it's next to the iPod docking station, so it's more or less the "central control" for the kitchen lights (and sound.)

If you enter your kitchen from a few different spots and if your island lighting is central to your kitchen, you'll probably want 2 switches for it.

If you post a quick mockup of your layout that would be great!

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Ours is with in a bank of 4 switches to the left of our sink. The 4 switches control all the lights in the kitchen with the expection of the general pots lights which is a separate switch in two different locations. These 4 switches control single pot light over sink, island pendants, under cabinet lighting, and in cabinet lighting. All have dimmers.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Thank you the layout helps. If I were to be greedy I would say put switches in all 3 spots!

If I could only pick two, I would pick the spot where you enter the room (upper right) and somewhere on the table side of the kitchen, like the spot where your pantry switch is. And just so I understand correctly -- is the upper right where you would enter if coming from outside, and the door near the pantry where you would enter if coming from inside the house? (e.g., in the morning when it's dark and you haven't had your coffee yet... which way do you come in? You'll want a switch near there I think.)

If your main access all the time is through the upper right, I still think it would be nice to have a control near the table since the island lighting is close to the table area. I don't know if it's possible or practical to have a switch in the island itself, like in the space near where your MW is, on the table side. If it is possible I think that would be handy.

• kermit4777
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My electrician suggested maybe putting it ON the island itself. I'll have to mull this over a bit still. I've got about 2 weeks to decide!

• trudymom
    14 years ago

Our island lights are with the rest of the lights--one set when you enter the kitchen, one set at the other end. We really only needed the set going into the kitchen.

• alexamd
    14 years ago

Our switch is on the island. I like it there. If I had thought again, I would have probably added an additional switch at the entrance of the kitchen, but I wouldn't give up my switch on the island.

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

We put a switch on the end of the island, with a dimmer on it.

The other switch is for the matching light over the kitchen sink. Ours isn't a huge kitchen, so this works for us. We knew we'd have to wire the island anyway, for the garbage disposal in the prep sink and the outlet.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH