Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_mjt

Sealing granite.....

mrs-mjt
15 years ago

Our granite countertops have not been sealed yet (long story) so have to find someone to do it or do it ourselves. If you've sealed your own granite, what did you use? What can I expect it to cost if I hire it out? any other tips, cautions, etc...? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

It's maybe a 15 minute chore. Simple. Wipe on the sealer, wait, and wipe off any excess. That's it. You should contact your fabricators to see if they'e used anything on it. You want the sealers to be compatible if they have.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Not all granites require sealing.

Some are so impervious that all a sealer does is sit on the surface of the stone and look bad.

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My granite is Persa so I believe it does require sealing. As far as I know, nothing was used on granite when it was installed. Any recommendation on a particular brand of sealer?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

First, make sure it needs to be sealed. Take a sopping wet sponge or dishrag and lay it on the granite. after about a minute or two, remove it and wipe up any water left. If it darkened, then it needs to be sealed. Look for Miracle's 511 Impregnator or Stone Tech's Impregnator Pro.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

I like using the StoneTech Impregnator Pro. It will deepen the colour just a bit....much like the wet sponge makes it look...

• olga_d
    15 years ago

I've heard that some granites don't need sealing. Does anyone happen to have a list of these?

• sally123
    15 years ago

I have Coastal Green granite which definitely needs to be sealed. I bought the Miracle 511 Impregnator and the directions say, "Finished area can be used for normal foot traffic in 2-5 hours. . . . For optimum result, finished area must be kept dry and free from staining materials for 72 hours." The first sentence is clearly referring to treatment of a floor, but what does it mean for a counter? Should it not be used for 2-5 hours? And does the counter really have to be kept dry for 72 hours? I don't know when the opportunity for that will ever happen.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Concerning the list, go to the following link. At the top of the page, you'll see two links labeled A-L and M-Z. Click on the one your stone would be on. One of the columns shows the absorbsion rate of each stone. Anything .25% or less does NOT need to be sealed. For those stone NOT on the list, do as I suggested above with the "sponge" test:

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite lists on findstone.com

• positano
    15 years ago

Sorry for the hijack....But Bill I have Costa Esmerelda that was installed and sealed last week. If I leave a wet cup I get a ring on the granite. It dries up quickly , but is that normal?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

yes, it is. In fact, it's a sign of one of the better sealers, which are what's called "breatheable", meaning they'll let moisture pass back and forth thru their barrier. Why this is good is because it won't allow moisture to get trapped inside the stone, where mold can get started, and for all intents and purposes, the easiest way to get rid of it is to get rid of the countertop.

• positano
    15 years ago

Great, thank you!!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I apologize for delay in thanking those who responded. I've got a gal coming over today to look at sealing my granite. She uses Aqua Mix. Is this a good product?

Also, we've been using our granite countertops unsealed for 2 months. Even though we've been careful, I'm sure our fingers have left oils, etc.. so what should I use to make sure counters are good and clean before sealing? Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

She uses Aqua Mix. Is this a good product?

Yes, it is.

Even though we've been careful, I'm sure our fingers have left oils, etc.. so what should I use to make sure counters are good and clean before sealing?

Right now, BEFORE sealing, Windex would be your best bet. Once it's sealed, that's the very LAST thing you want to use. The ammonia in it will strip the sealer pretty quickly.

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

"Anything .25% or less does NOT need to be sealed".

What happens if you seal it anyway? Will it adversely affect the granite?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Mechanically speaking, no. However, it'll make the granite look like crap by leaving a haze on the face of it.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus