Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legallin

Pros and Cons of a Pot Filler?

Linda
12 years ago

The remodel is still a ways off, but I'm trying to figure things out now and I was wondering whether or not it was worth it to add a potfiller.

The pros, I imagine, (in addition to looking neat) are not having to fill and lug a heavy pan of water from the sink to the stove. However, you still have to lug it back to the sink to drain (or to the fridge or somewhere else if making soup, etc.), so are you really gaining that much?

The main con I can think of is cost (trying to keep budget down). I know the prices of the actual faucet can vary, but any rough estimates of how much installation, and any other misc. costs are? My stove will be about 6-8 feet from sink, on same outside wall (on a slab). Is it even worth it for this distance? Would love to hear your opinions, experiences, and suggestions! Thanks! Linda

Comments (29)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

The other con is that if it develops a drip, there is no drain to catch it. We all know that every faucet eventually drips or gets bumped and turned on by accident. Pot fillers are one of those things I just don't get.

On the other hand, they do look cool.

• Specific ibex
    12 years ago

I really don't get them either. You still have to lug the pot to the sink to drain, right? I suppose in a restaurant situation, potfillers eliminate the extra traffic at a water source.

In a home kitchen you probably don't have pot-filling happening quite so frequently that you need to design for it, even in a multiple-cook kitchen, especially given the prevalence of second sinks in islands.

I'd be curious if anyone absolutely loves theirs and has had it for a long time.

• tubeman
    12 years ago

We had one in our design and opted out of it. Not only are they expensive, they are another maintenance item and difficult to access inside the wall. It is just not that hard to move a pot of water to the stove for me.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Timely post as I am considering this too and with a prep sink right next to the range, I am wondering if this is worth the expense. I love the look tho.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Jscout - good point on refills....when I am making stock, I often have to refill the pot or when making pasta and I get too wrapped up in my guests and the wine, I have to refill the pot. I guess it would be more convenient to just put that faucet over the pot and go. I will have open walls since this is a new build and I fell in major like with a Blanco filler.

Cheers,

M

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

I love my pot filler. Not only do I use it for cooking, but my microwave is right next to my range, so I use it for instant coffee, soups, etc.

• User
    12 years ago

When you have a sink on the same run, you gain almost nothing in actual utility in your kitchen. A pull out faucet with a long hose will do 100% of everything that a pot filler will do, albeit a little bit slower.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

we put one in and i love it. agreed it only helps on way, but that "one way" is a great help. we eat pasta at least 2xs a weeek and i make soup all thru the winter. its great for making rice, noodles, mac and cheese... anything that needs water for cooking. which when you start using it, its alot of things. it also saves steps/time in the kitchen and when you cook with people in kitchen doing other things, you/they are not in your way when you try to get to the sink

also, it has a high flow, gpm, which fills your pots faster and you are not tying up the sink, and we use it to fill our water jug for the frig. we added a water filter to it, so all the water is filterd. so now, everything we cook is cooked in filtered water, which i love. our water has a chlorine taste, so this really does make a difference.

all our walls were ripped out and we are in a split level, so everything is easy to get to.

we use it more than we ever thought and i would do it again in a minute.

we bought a hansgrohe with two handles. this on advice from here on "kitchens" ( the 2 handles that is)

also, it great to have another water source in our kitchen. we have no prep sink, which did influence our decision. but on hindsight, i would do again anyway, they are so convenient.

best of luck!!! HTH

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You still have to lug the pot to the sink to drain, right?"

Or get a pot with a built in colander that just picks up removing the items inside.

If you make very large pots of soup you either have to divide the pot up or lug it.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Potfillers are not restricted to the 2.2gpm flowrate of a normal kitchen faucet. A 'long hose' from the kitchen sink is going to take a while to fill a 5 gallon pot.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

sprtphntc --- where is the filter for your pot filler?

• User
    12 years ago

Who uses a 5 gallon pot on a regular basis? A restaurant, maybe. I only use a 4 gallon one maybe twice a year for a seafood boil. My regular pasta pot is only 8 quarts. And even with a regular kitchen faucet flow, it only takes two minutes to fill 5 gallons. Whose time is so precious that the additional minute makes the difference in an hour's dinner prep time?

If you want one because you think it's cool and great looking, that's fine. It's your kitchen. But don't try to justify it with ridiculous arguments of how useful it is in a home kitchen. A prep sink is far more useful than a pot filler and it has a drain to boot.

• cindaintx
    12 years ago

I was lusting after my friend's pot filler until I realized that we cook far more saute / stir fry / other messy stuff than soups and sauces. I asked her about cleaning it. Pot filler went way down on my list along with a warming shelf over the range top. I'm into minimal surfaces for grease to hit and congeal on. Depends on how you cook and how often you want to clean. Or how often the cleaning lady comes if you have that choice.

• User
    12 years ago

I too have been toying around with ideas on what to do. I'm constantly running back and forth to the sink to add just a little more water to my oatmeal.. then a little more.. then a little more.. ooops, I put too much in, let me get a little out :) So, I was thinking instead of a pot filler, just to put a mini sink over there with a high arc faucet to fill pots which will also make it handy to drain things. The pots wouldn't sit on the burner while they are filled but close enough to make me happy. I was also thinking of putting the RO/instant hot dispenser at that sink. That way maybe the RO could also feed the faucet for pot filling (if that is even possible). It also might be more pleasant to use the instant hot/filtered water over there instead of looking at the pile of dirty dishes as I do now. I will have a cleanup sink and then of course I'd like a sink in the island, and 3 sinks seems pretty overkill. I don't know how much this adds to the cost to know if it's too excessive yet. My friend has a pot filler and adores it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I had one in my old kitchen, for about 9 years, and put one in again in our new house.

For us, meals often include a boiled veggie or a boiled starch. That is the convenience, ie filling a pot to boil water. Our sink is across from our stove but with a work table inbetween, so it is helpful. We use the inserts so we don't usually have to walk across the kitchen with boiling water to drain. I am used to it and would not want a kitchen without it.

The cons are cost (a function of how close the plumbing is and the fixture you choose. The other is the risk of a problem.

As I've recounted before, the first year we had ours, we were cooking for a New Years Eve Party when the faucet handle came off in my hand, and water spewed forth full blast, like an I Love Lucy episode. I grabbed whatever pots and pans I could while waiting for DH to turn the water off downstairs.

Surprisingly, other than a mess, no damage. We had a Viking Range at the time and all (most? a lot?) of the water I didnt catch was caught in a pull out shelf under the burners that I never even knew was there ...

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I agree that it depends on how you cook. I love my pot filler, and I would give up quite a few things in my new home before I gave it up.

I rarely boil a really large pot of water that I have to drain, but I use the pot filler several times a day for all times I need water at my cooktop. For the times that I have a really large pot going, I find that I usually dish at the cooktop anyway, so unless I'm boiling potatoes or making a stock for later, I rarely have to lug a heavy pot either way.

I love mine!

• Emilner
    12 years ago

My concern has been with keeping it clean. That is located in a spot where a lot of grease is splattered around...

• roarah
    12 years ago

I love mine. I fill the coffee maker with it every am no more drips on the floor. I do alot of soups and i also steam veggies every day. If i were to do it again I would add a small prep sink sans a tap right next to my stove for emptying pots, like erikanh did in her kitchen.

It is just as easy to clean as my backsplash. So no extra cleaning at all.

It is one of my favorite kitchen features and in our redo we will make it even more practical.

I think only people who do not have one seem to find the most cons.

• jscout
    12 years ago

I rarely get any grease on mine unless it's from my own greasy hands. Since it's attached against my stainless backsplash, I just check it when I clean my backsplash. Usually it's just the handle I need to clean. I do give it a good shine when I have guests over.

• MrsBrad
    12 years ago

My kitchen is not yet complete so I cannot comment on the functionality of the pot filler. However, the cost was not much. The pot filler itself was $235 from Amazon and it is beautiful. We did not open up any walls but still moved plumbing around and the cost was very little. We did not spend more than $300 to have it done.(that is total cost of both faucet and labor) It doesn't matter if your kitchen isn't a restaurant kitchen, it is YOUR kitchen so make it like you want! All in all it is a small price to pay for an awesome addition. Even if you don't use it much, at least it looks cool. :)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I have one in current kitchen and am not doing one in new house.

I love the one I have, but I don't use it "all the time". I never had the issue about draining the water because I usually would use a large strainer to pull the pasta out, sometimes dumping it right into the sauce on the stove. Soups would just get ladled out of the pot right into bowls.

Reason I'm not doing it in the new house is that there will be a prep sink right behind the stove. And since there are already 3 faucets in the kitchen, there was no way I was bringing up the pot filler.

As far as the argument that there is no drain under it.....I think it's just an excuse. There is no drain under my fridge and it has water running to it. I don't have a drain under my washer (not on the 2nd floor but it is on the first floor above the basement). And there is no drain under the plumbing of my sinks. If any of those leak we'd have big problems. So I guess it depends on the confidence you have in your faucet brand and your plumber. Make sure to add a little security by getting a double handle faucet. This way you have to turn two handles to turn it on and off.

FWIW, the buyers who come through my house, all move the pot-filler. They must be drawn to it.....I always set it up in a way that I can tell if they touch it....

• momto4kids
    12 years ago

I love my potfiller and would eliminate other things before the PF.

Please remember...whether you have a PF or not, not every pot to which water has been added needs to be lugged back to a sink for emptying!! What about stews, soups, stocks, etc, etc, which get served from the pot?!!

Anyone with back, shoulder or other load bearing problems will appreciate only having to lug a pot of water one direction vs two if you don't have a filler. It does take a load off your back when you're lugging pots back and forth. If you're a canner, brewer, or you make a lot of soups/stocks/pasta, having a PF becomes VERY convenient.

Most people I know don't have drains under their refrigerators that have water lines for icemakers. Get a two valve potfiller...definitely. If your PF is on an outside wall or a garage wall, maybe insulate that area really well or shut off the water line during the winter (you'll miss your PF!). [My PF has a direct line with a shut off valve at the inception of the pipe, as well as two shut off valves on the PF itself.]

Lastly...as to height...put it just above the tallest pot you REGULARLY use. Not your big ole lobster pot that you use once every two years. You'll get too much splash in your regularly used pots if you put it too high and you won't use it as often if you put it in to accommodate your tallest of pots. So...put it just high enough for the pots you ALWAYS use. [Uh...I speak from experience here as I originally had mine set to accommodate my tallest pot. What a disaster! I quickly figured out it was WAY TOO HIGH. Fortunately I had no backsplash up yet, so I had it lowered. Learn from my mistake! LOL!]

Enjoy!!

• sas95
    12 years ago

We didn't do one because to me, they look too fussy. Anyway, our prep sink is right behind the stove, so I didn't really see the utility for us.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Kitchens flood all the time from DWs, fridge lines and the like. Plenty of posts here about those.

Can't recall too many posts about kitchens flooding from leaky kitchen faucets.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

lolauren:

we put the filter in our crawl space which is directly under the pot filler wall. like i said, we are in a split level and every floor has easy access to the floor above or below.

we did this to eliminate the need for a filter at the sink , which we had previously, or the brita pitcher etc.

HTH

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Can't recall too many posts about kitchens flooding from leaky kitchen faucets."

They empty into the sink.

Pot fillers are normally over the stove.

• tubeman
    12 years ago

I would use one if I had one. But since I don't I can function without it. All of the restaurants I worked in have not had one.

• Fatheha Bibi
    3 years ago

If its for use for boiking water, why not.insrall a quooker boiling tap?

I'm umming and aahing whether to put one in ... but don't wanna be cleaning forever 🙄 I cook curries, stir fries,.pasta

How easy is it to keep clean??