Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela702

gaggenau double oven

angela702
9 years ago

Dear Forum users:

We are in the process of a whole house remodel and I have chosen the Gaggenau double oven and am having second thoughts. I've read one online reviews regarding the oven taking an hour to reach 500 degrees. My old GE takes only 16 minutes. Does it really take that long. I will be cooking in this oven and am not just buying it for its looks. I'd like some feedback from Gaggenau owners.

Comments (7)

• emma
    9 years ago

My favorite range was a 40" common brand, before designer brands. It had a reg oven and a narrow one on the left side. The smaller one was large enough to bake a pie or cake in it. It would have fit in my last home by leaving out a very small section of cabinets. I did not know that until it was to late.

• lee676
    9 years ago

It does have a "quick heat" setup for baking, broiling, or using the top and bottom elements at the same time - it is set as the default from the factory but can be changed to regular heating. I don't know how fast it is in the currently available double oven; certainly in the 24"w Gaggenau ovens I've used preheating was adequately quick.

The new Bosch double oven with the side-hinged door may be an acceptable (and less expensive) substitute.

• zeetree
    9 years ago

I think you are reading about someone with either a service issue, an install issue, or just a disgruntled person. One hour preheat would be abnormal on the worst and cheapest oven. Preheating to 500 does however require a good door seal and complete closure - no matter what brand it is. We have a beach home with a Whirlpool oven with a sprung door (damn kids...). It has a hell of a time preheating past 325 unless we physically jam the door shut. Yes, it's on my to do list...

Anyway, I know you asked for Gaggenau owners - and technically I'm that because I have most of the new kitchen appliances like the 24" Gaggenau oven - just not yet installed:). But, FWIW, I did speak to a number of folks who had them - old and new, as well as a number of resellers - some with service - and all spoke extremely highly of it. Also, I looked hard at the double 30" Gaggenau - it's gorgeous, just doesn't fit for me is the complication.

Getting over the sticker shock of Gaggenau is I what think the hardest part is.

• moebus
    9 years ago

Just noticed your post. I'll give it a test, but I can tell you it hits 400 in wel under 10 min.

• moebus
    9 years ago

I had a few minutes free so I just turned it on. 17 1/2 minutes for room temp. to 500 deg. F. The Gagg holds that temperature constant throughout the oven and will recover it very quickly after the door is opened. The elderly GE (I have one in a second home) fluctuates widely in temperature and takes 5-7 minutes to recover after opening the door at that temp.

If you really like to cook, you will be amazed at the control the Gagg gives you. See Pillog's comments in a current post on the appliance forum. I totally agree.

• sritacco
    9 years ago

I have the older 70cm double oven... it is a wonderful appliance. The best oven I've ever cooked in. It heats quickly and cooks evenly. I think the new model is TOO BIG but I'm sure it is a wonderful oven. :-)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

rhome and plllog have Gaggenau ovens and they both use them a lot. You might check with one or both of them.