Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

drawers dimensions for 30' countertops, is it worth it?

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

hi,

I am planning 30" countertops, 28 1/2" deep base cabinets.

I am told that the slides and drawer box work in 3" increments, therefore, for a standard 24" deep base cabinet, the drawers are 21" deep, and for my case, with 28 1/2 " deep base, the drawers will be 24". So, by going custom, I gain 3" per drawer: is this worth it?

I guess I think it is, because on top of that, the cabinets are frameless, giving me an additional 3 1/2 " in width per drawer ( I have measured this).

Opinions? Are these extra 3" just going to collect junk in the back of the drawer, or will I love them?

thanks again...

Comments (11)

• Fori
    13 years ago

That doesn't sound all that custom. If you have 3" increments, why not an extra 6"? I would make my cabinets a little deeper if that's what it took!

I just measured mine--I have 24" cabinets on one side and 30" on the other and there is a full 6" difference in the drawers. And it is AWESOME. Three inches? eh. I dunno. Go for the 6.

And 3" is better than no inches. Even if it collects junk, isn't it better in a drawer than out?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I have one drawer that I would love to have 3 inches more at back--it holds casseroles and lids. Drawers with dishes, pots, linens yes also. Other drawers, not so much. Now that I think harder, it's the top ones that have little stuff than can more likely get lost; in the bottoms where the large pans and things go, the extra space is more welcome. Make a plan to put some rarely used stuff in backs of the top drawers? OR...do as I did and make top drawers a little shorter at back and sink some stainless cylinders at back of countertop to hold utensils; same with knife slits at back of counter to allow easy access to knives without opening drawer at all. But I suppose that thwarts having the deeper countertops for other uses. Never mind.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the fast answers! I can go with 30" base cabinets and then the drawers will be 27" deep, giving me the full 6". But then the countertops will be deeper than 30", because of the overhang, they will be about 31 1/2 " (or I could go with a smaller overhang). Fori, since you are measuring ... is that what you have? How deep are your countertops actually?

Florantha, you are right, the extra volume is welcome.

• Fori
    13 years ago

My countertops are a smidge over 31" (including an integrated backsplash so it's not all usable), but should be a quarter inch more I think (too late!) due to drips.

• shortyrobyn
    13 years ago

I have both. The drawers are fine in each. One big advantage of the deeper counters is you can run cabinets down to the counter (useful for dishes - I'm short and can't reach very high). Another is you can install a standard depth refrigerator flush with the counters. Robyn

• Fori
    13 years ago

I'm short too and should mention that I CAN reach the lightswitch on the wall over the counter, but an air switch for the disposal was even more of a must than normal. :)

I have 18" uppers over my 30" lowers so that I can reach as much as I could in a standard depth situation. I like this arrangement and nobody seems to notice that the two sides of my galley are different depths.

• shortyrobyn
    13 years ago

I have 12 1/2" uppers on the 30" side of one wall of my kitchen down to the counter. Like this:

If you have a galley or modified galley - I don't think people notice the different depths on different sides of the kitchen (in fact - I had never even thought of it with regard to my kitchen until I read this thread). Robyn

• raync
    13 years ago

To have 27" deep drawers, you just need a minimum inside cabinet depth of 27 3/4".

Ray Carlton
    Carlton Cabinets

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I have 30 inch deep cabs on one side of my galley kitchen with full extension glides. Lots of room and I have inset with no toe kick.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Robyn, that looks so nice! Wouldn't work for us though--we always have too much junk on the counters. Even the deep ones. :)

• raync
    13 years ago

To have 27" deep drawers, you just need a minimum inside cabinet depth of 27 3/4".

Ray

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County