Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on cladding beam please

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 11:39

I'm considering cladding this beam that is currently drywalled in our kitchen. I'd have it done in painted wood similar to that shown in this photo (but ours looks like it will be deeper):

This divides the eating area from the working area of the kitchen and it is load-bearing so it has to stay. Here's the view on one side (Photobucket is spazzing out today so I'll post the view from the other direction in a comment. Also please ignore the crap all over everything; it's cleaning day). There is a mini wall on the table side of the kitchen so I'd run the cladding all the way to the main wall, making it look like the mini wall runs right up to the beam (and yeah, that wall has to stay too).

I don't think it matters, but if you're thinking about continuity, we're replacing the upper cabinets with new ones that extend to the ceiling.

Yay or nay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on cladding beam please

Here's the view from the other direction.

o

My DH put shelves on our beam and we store some nice handmade pottery there.

o

Donaleen, that's a really interesting solution that I hadn't thought of. Of course, I don't have anything I can think of that I like enough to display up there, but I like the idea of sort of trimmed-out drywall.

o

If you need better photos or details, let me know.

Our beam looked a lot like yours before hand.

You could also trim it out like a wide doorway. We did that in another area.

Here is a link that might be useful: trimming doorway

This post was edited by donaleen on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 17:53

o

You'll need Donnaleen's shelf to put the stuff you currently have on your stubby wall cabinets. :P

o

Sorry I don't have a photo available but I have seen some beams like yours enhanced with a pretty white column. In your case, it would probably be placed maybe 2ft out from your partial wall. The other photo you posted didn't come through so I don't know if the other side of the room has a similar partial wall so you could get symmetry. I guess I'm also trying to suggest a way to use your challenge as a decorating opportunity. By the way, I wish I only had as much clutter as you!

o

I don't think that making your header into a "beam" would work. It's not a beam without that wall. Cladding the opening with some molding could.

o

Simply case it like all the other doors in your house, top and sides--head, jamb, side casing etc. Why call attention to the fact that it's a beam?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here