Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have WALNUT butcher block?

Posted by ajard (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 11:38

I am going to install a walnut end grain butcher block on the end of my peninsula( i dont have an island) and a walnut edge grain desktop on my kitchen desk. Butcher block people are trying to talk me out of walnut and to go with maple since I DO plan to cut things like veggies etc on it.. I want it to be a "working" butcher block.. Anyone have have any experience of walnut.. I do love the color over maple for my kitchn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have WALNUT butcher block?

I fell in love with this walnut end grain cutting board after seeing it on Giada's old show. It's not a permanent countertop but perhaps you can email them on the durability of walnut? You're right, the colour of walnut is unmatchable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozark

o

zaron and reno-fan have walnut counters - go to the finished kitchens blog to find them. maybe they have an email on their "my page" space and you can contact them directly.

o

We have a small walnut cutting board from Ozark. Love it! Use it almost daily and have had no problems with it at all. Every now and then we wipe it down with oil. I've been thinking of getting this for our island top and it would be a working island as well. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

We also have another (not sure what kind) light wood cutting board on the range that hasn't weathered as well. Totally functional just see a lot more on the lighter wood.

o

Ozarks are beautiful.. not sure if they make countertops style. I think I am going to use boardsmith... has great reviews. I am going to check out the two on FKB.. thank you

o

Check out John Boos Company. They do Walnut.

http://www.johnboos.com/

Direct link to the walnut butcher block:
http://www.johnboos.com/residential/model.cfm?CatNo=03&PageNum=0037&GroupCode=0010&dispimage=/STOREFRONT/IMAGES/BLENDEDWALNUTTOP.JPG&title1=Blended Walnut Butcher Block

o

Yes, we just put in a walnut butcher block top on our island. We have been actively using it since just before Christmas. Like you, we want our butcherblock to be a real working surface. We cut everything except meat on it constantly. So far it is no worse for the wear, which has really surprised me. Every few weeks, I rub some food safe oil into it. That's it, no other special treatment. We love the look of the dark wood, and have been very happy with it.

Photobucket

I think there are a few more pictures of the island under the thread I started when we finished it all -just search under bestyears.

Good luck!

o

Thanks! I am trying to decide on John Boos or Boardsmith for the walnut
Bestyears, where did you get yours?
thanks

o

Just to follow up - Ozark will make any size you need. We just submitted info for quote for our island top.

o

The place is called Blockhead Tops in Michigan (found out about them here at GW!). The price was definitely the best I could find. Contact info: Mark 989-727-3177. I looked at their website first (just google them). We got a 34x48 endgrain top, 2" thick with rounded edge. The price was $739. It took about 2 weeks for them to make it and another 3 days to ship it to us. The price included all taxes, shipping, etc. Do you need to see more pictures?

o

One other company that you may want to consider is Craft-Art, in Atlanta. Our iroko island surface from C-A was installed last week and I am very impressed with the workmanship. They ship all over the US (we are in Minnesota.) C-A does make end grain walnut counters and will also do end grain wenge/walnut checkerboard counters, which I think look fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craft-Art link

o

Thank you I will check out all these sources..
Boardsmith can make me a matching knife block... for my counter.. :)

o

Sadly Ozark West is no longer doing custom orders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here