Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmeah

I need help with my tiny galley kitchen layout! Please advise!

dmeah
9 years ago

I have learned so much already from this site, but I'm in need of any and all advice for my tiny galley kitchen in our 1920s bungalow.

Things we can't change:
1) There's a non-functional chimney stack in one corner that extends 14.5" W x 5" D into the kitchen space. I'd rather not remove it if possible, because I'm worried about the cost involved.
2) There's only one window, and we're stuck with where it's set
3) We can't move walls (stairwell behind one, hot air return in doorway wall, etc)
4) The right side of the diagram is left open because there's a doorway, hallway, bathroom, and nook off to that side. We can't add cabinets there either.

Things we can change:
No gas line but planning to install one, so open to any ideas for where to place the gas range. Open to moving plumbing and electrical as well. We're planning on custom cabinets to help with layout issues.

Currently, the fridge is on the window wall adjacent to the chimney stack with an electric range set right up against it (they're touching, no counter space in between, so we really can't use the left 2 burners). There is no range hood, and the windowsill gets coated with grease and we set off the smoke alarms every single time we cook.

We have a Thermador 36" built-in integrated fridge that we'll be installing, along with a Wolf R304 30" all gas range. Planning a standard 24" dishwasher and a 15" wine fridge all crammed into this space as well!

These are my thoughts so far:
1) Fridge installed on window wall with left side against the doorway wall, dishwasher next to that, then sink (would have to be small), then 15" wine fridge. We have the T36IB800SP Thermador 36" single door refrigerator over freezer. Can we simply install this in front of the chimney stack? Depth isn't an issue (24" D fridge + 5" D chimney) but not sure about the actual installation. Would want to run the countertops the same total depth for a uniform look. The handle of the fridge would open into the open door space, and it has the freedom hinges to allow flush installation.

2) Fridge immediately adjacent to the chimney stack and then install the gas range centered under the window. We'd have to replace the wood window casing with tile and would definitely install an island mount range hood over the window. The sink would be centered on the adjacent wall, with the dishwasher to its left (our current set-up).

Sorry for the long post. It's a tricky space, and we'd like the most functional layout possible. Hoping you all might be able to help me!

Comments (5)

• szruns
    9 years ago

I'm not sure about putting a range under the window. That seems like a recipe for goop and splatter on the window, and also seems likely that, assuming you live in an area with winters, your window is liable to crack/shatter with the temperature extremes of hot from the range vs cold outside. I had that happen in my house when I first moved in, actually, and it didn't even have a range under it, just a sink! So, I'd imagine it being a high risk event with a serious heat source under a window.

I think it'd be a lot easier to figure out a good layout with the right side of the diagram filled in. Can you repost a diagram showing what is over there? That way, folks can see traffic flow and imagine any options for that end of the area.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hi - thinking the same about not such a good idea to place a cooking top right in front of a window, since you'd likely end up w/ greasy film on the glass, no matter how efficient your range hood is; sink or prep area seems more appropriate because it can take advantage of the extra light.

FWIW

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Where is current sink? Where will you most easily add a hood?

Some thoughts to consider:
    Try to create 1 long stretch of counters about 5 feet in uninterrupted span for plating up food, and prep.

My initial thought would have large single sink under the window. Then counter space going all the way to the wall. Maybe do 28-30 deep. Overhang to put a little stool. Lots of storage below. Open shelving or glass front cabinets above.

On other wall have fridge, then counter-space, then range and hood. Have wine fridge possibly between fridge and range, or else on the other side

• dmeah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for confirming what I'm thinking! Our electric range is under the window currently and I hate it, but we don't have a range hood and I wasn't sure if that would change things.

Here's the layout with the adjacent area off to the right included in the diagram (except the door swings into the space, rightward, toward the nook). Do you think it's possible to install the fridge, DW, sink centered under window, and 15" wine fridge all on the window wall? It will be tight, but to my novice eyes, it seems like it may work. If so, then I can center the gas range on the opposite wall.

Thanks so much for the help!

• dmeah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, juliekcmo, I was posting at the same time and just saw your message. I like your layout idea and was hoping for some additional advice.

My diagram shows the actual doorway space into the kitchen but doesn't account for the door trim. If I place the fridge on this wall, it will fit, but it extends over the trim. Will this look strange? (Our current countertops overlap the trim but the base cabinets don't, which I think looks just fine.) If I put the fridge on the opposite end on the same wall, will it enclose the space too much?

I love the ideas! Keep them coming!