Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbl030504

Gel Stain on Stock Kitchen Cabinets

bbl030504
13 years ago

I've looked through the forums and have seen a lot of nicely done gel stain cabinets, but can you do this on stock cabinets? I have basic cabinets from Lowes. How would I go about applying gel stain? Especially to the ends and cabinet frames which aren't solid wood I don't think.

Comments (10)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Gel stain is a great solution for stock cabinets. Gel stain works more like paint than stain so it can be brushed over existing finish. You just need to clean and sand lightly.

There are primers for laminate/vinyl surfaces you may need to apply first on the ends if the gel stain doesn't stick well.

I've attached a link to a recent thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stain thread

• worldmom
    13 years ago

My mom did this with her previous stock (oak) cabinets and it turned out really, really nice. She's doing it again in her current home that has pretty basic maple cabinets, also with great results. I prefer painted cabinets, but I have to admit that stuff is pretty amazing! Here is my mom's old kitchen:

From Mom's kitchen
    From Mom's kitchen

• Buehl
    13 years ago

If you do decide to go the Gel Stain route, CelticMoon's instructions are included in the "Read Me" thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• never_ending
    13 years ago

I just gel stained a friend's builder stock oak cabinets. She had end panels that seemed liked a laminated paper, and they covered just fine. The key to gel stain is to play with it a bit prior to using it on your cabinets so you get a feel for how it goes on and how it dries and looks with a couple coats.

The great thing about it is that you can wipe it off with mineral spirits and a rag if you don't like what you are seeing, and start over.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Will the gel stain cover/color the same on wood filler as the wood?? That probably does not make sense - thus a little explanation.

I have very solid, well-made (but ugly) old birch, flat panel doors that have shiny, ugly gold handles that are placed AT AN ANGLE across the lower corners of each door. I am researching my options of upgrading these doors, and one of them is perhaps gel stain vs paint vs totally installing new doors. Either way, I will upgrade the hardware.

If I gel stain, there will be old hardware holes to fill with wood filler - there is no way I would angle them again (ugliest look I have ever seen). Will the gel stain cover these filled holes, or will I end up with ligher colored dots on each door?

Tuesday

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Tuesday 2008 - Gel stain gives great coverage like paint and should go right over wood filler. Be sure to get stainable wood filler and I would use a stain similar to the existing finish on just the filler until it matches the surrounding area. This will help it blend when you go over with the gel stain.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I've done ALL the cabinets in this house ... one section at a time, staining from a corner to the next corner to minimize matching problems. it took less than 2 quarts of stain and 1 quart of gel top coat. And every old white t-shirt I had.

I did some testing in the laundry room and then mixed up a HUGE batch of stain so the whole project would match - it's 2/3 Java and 1/3 red cherry. I put small quantities in 1/2 piint jelly jars so I wouldn't have the stain drying out

1 - Remove doors and drawers
    2 - Wash them and the frames thoroughly with soapy water to get the grunge off, then wipe with mineral spirits to get any old polish and grease off.
    3 - Wipe on the stain with a white cotton knit rag, starting with the center panels and moldings, end with the outer edges.
    4 - You can apply quite a bit and wipe it off until you are happy with the color, or wipe on thinner layers. I wipe on thin layers and sort of fake the grain by varying the pressure and dabbing.

Change rags when it gets sticky.

To avoid wipe marks, follow the grain. Work from small pieces to large ones. Wipe the shorter pieces of the door or cabinet, then end with the top-to bottom framing bits. If you have an arched panel, go straight across it, with the grain, not around the arch.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

We used General Finishes Java stain which is a very dark brown. The cabinets for some odd reason had the knobs dead center in the middle of the doors. I found the stain took darker on the filler which makes sense because it is a more porous surface. I just laid the stain a bit heavier in that area and stippled it out slightly to blend. By coat #2 it was camouflaged quite well and my friend seemed quite happy. She is a bit of a perfectionist and was quite worried about this. To make matters worse her DH drilled new holes in 2 doors in the wrong spot so we had fill them too. After his drill slipped and went through the door, she threw him out of the kitchen completely!!!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Clarification on lazygarden's advice for staining. Gel stain is applied with a brush and not wiped on or off. If you approach gel stain like a paint you will get the best results.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

worldmom,

Your mom's cabinets do look great. Do you know what color/brand she used?

Thanks!