Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Why is part of my granite soft and crumbly?

kitchenkrazed09
12 years ago

We just recently moved back into our new kitchen. Before we actually started using it, I noticed a chunk of granite was missing from the side edge of the sink cutout. I called the fabricator to schedule a repair, but could not get an appointment right away. Since then, the chunk has become larger and slightly discolored. This morning it is even worse. The top of the granite is now affected and soft to the touch (as in, it gives when you press it). I am so upset, I hope they can repair it to prevent further damage and also so it won't be too noticeable.

Does anyone know why it may be crumbly and discolored? Is it because that section isn't sealed? Is water getting in and pushing the granite up from inside? I would like to be as informed as possible when they repair it. What should I look out for and what is the proper way to repair it? I appreciate any help.

Comments (20)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What type of granite is it?

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Blfenton,

It is Alaska White.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It looks like maybe a chunk of filler (epoxy) to repair a chip that occurred during fabrication of the cutout.
    Casey

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joyce - Hmm, I have other tiny rough spots on the granite. Was my fabricator supposed to perfectly polish out every imperfection? I thought it was just part of the inherent nature of the stone. It sounds like you have a really great fabricator.

Thanks Casey. From the photo, it does sort of look like epoxy. I think it is actually part of the stone, though, because it looks different from the areas I know were epoxied. It wasn't yellowed when I first noticed it, but turned yellow since then. Do you know how it should be properly repaired? Thanks!

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi kitchen..

You and I have the same granite...And I noticed one day that there was a little chunk missing around my sink near my faucet. I think I must have banged something against the edge at some point. I called my GC and he brought the tile guy who fixed it with epoxy for $15. He used a dark brown epoxy and it looks just fine.

I think with Delicatus White (Alaska) there are likely chances that this can happen, especially on edges...Yours is exactly like mine in that it is on an edge.

I don't think water got into mine and caused this. Mine hasn't had any staining at all. I don't baby it either. My GC said it happened most likely because my granite has "a lot going on"...

Hope this helps ease your mind...

KA:)

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi again kitchen..

I want to add that maybe it is getting soft and crumbly because it is exposed to the elements.

Hopefully you can get it filled in with epoxy soon to prevent more spreading...

KA:)

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Granite has a lit of softer minerals in it. It a tough stone in general but spots like these happen. Epoxy will fill it and you probably won't notice it

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Granite has a lit of softer minerals in it. "

this.

Very few of the stones sold as 'granite' are actually geological granites.

The more 'decorative' the stone the more likely it is not a true granite, and has inclusions of other stone preset.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kitchenaddict, I'm glad you weighed in! I don't know if you know this, but I fell in love with Alaska White granite because of your lovely kitchen. I first saw it in the photos you posted and couldn't believe it when I actually found it (after much searching). They used gray epoxy in another spot on mine and I didn't love the way it came out. They are supposed to fix it tomorrow. I hope it comes out alright.

Robbcs3 - Thanks for commenting. It's good to know that epoxy should take care of it. I wonder if the part that became discolored has to be removed first. I hate to think that more of it would have to come out, but would applying epoxy over the affected area, seal in moisture and cause another problem later?

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

The discolored spot is probably a stain, from not being sealed. No guarantee it will come out, but worth a try. There are threads on the site of how to to this, unless the repair guy will do it for you. It should be dry before the epoxy goes on.

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

Well shoot kitchen and kitchen, I was thinking of getting the Delicatus. I guess what I love about it (all the quartz) is what makes it more susceptible to problems. Hope they get it all fixed up.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Robbcs3. Does anyone know if clear epoxy always looks yellow after it is applied? I think I may want them to use clear epoxy, but I'm not sure.

Kellienoelle - I never heard of any problems before with the Delicatus granites. I hope this isn't a normal occurrence.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

When I have seen this done, it has been filled the same way seams are done, with a matching epoxy mixed on site.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Robbcs3. The seam they did turned out okay, but there are a couple of small spots they filled with the same epoxy they used to fill the seam, which don't look as good. While it's not so noticeable because the granite has a lot of movement, when I do spot them, they don't match too well. I think a clear epoxy would just show the true color of the stone underneath, but only if the clear doesn't turn yellow. Do you know if there is any clear epoxy that doesn't look yellowish? Have you ever seen a chip filled with clear epoxy? Thanks so much for your advice.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I can only speak about Bianco Antico which seems similar. When I was the fabricator the other day they were telling me how much they hate BA now. (180* turn for them). They said it is beautiful but all the mica in it is a problem. They are rough spots and some people have those pieces fall out. She said she will see someone in the showroom picking at it! Hopefully they can fill it in and make it all better for you.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bee. I think they are similar too. If I didn't find Alaska White, I was going with Bianco Antico. Are you choosing BA again this time around (or do I remember reading marble was on your short list)?

Well, after waiting all day, the owner stopped by to look at the area to be repaired and said his employee that would do the repair was still on another job and might not make it today. No one called and nobody showed to do the repair, so as of right now, I'm not sure when it will be done. I just hope they do a nice job and it's not too noticeable.

• aggiebobcat
    10 years ago

I know your post is 2 years old, but I currently have the same issue. Did your problem resolved and what was the outcome?

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Aggiebobcat,
    Wow, that is funny. I havenâÂÂt been on GW for a very long time. I came across this post, scrolled to the bottom and see your question is only from 3 days ago. :)

They did repair the section and it blended in pretty well. About a week ago however, I noticed another very small hole near the location of the original problem. I asked my current fabricator (for the bathroom) about it, but I think he didnâÂÂt want to be bothered repairing a counter that someone else installed. My husband filled it with a little melted wax from a candle. It's no longer noticeable and hopefully this will stop it from getting any worse.

What type of granite do you have?

• luvmykids94
    10 years ago

Hi,

We are remodeling our kitchen with cream glazed cabinets(antique white) and we are now in the process of choosing a granite. Please if you may offer your comments if you have this granite and would it go with my cabinet colour. ty

This post was edited by luvmykids94 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 23:50