Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet Paint FInish: Satin or Semigloss?

Posted by carrie_eileen (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 11:28

Me again with more last-minute questions for you experts as I go into major kitchen demo and planning. I'm doing painted cabinets; my painter will be using Sherwin Williams oil-based laquer. He wants to know Satin or Semigloss. What are your thoughts on this? What did you choose for your finish, and why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet Paint FInish: Satin or Semigloss?

I used Sherwin William's semi gloss "Seattle Red" on some really ugly dark brown woodgrain laminated cabinets with oak trimmings. I did use Ralph Lauren's red primer.

It's a townhome we using as rental unit, the cabinets were really tired and the place looked old.

The result was quite amazing, the Seattle red on dark brown yielded a rich dark cherry red, all for hundred $ or so. The cabinets gotten a new lease of life. $$ saved was spent on new stainless steel appliances and laminated floor.

We invested around $3.5k, for the past few years, we have gotten $200-$300/month more in monthly rental then similar units in the complex.

o

I did one set of kitchen cabinets in satin, and I didn't care for it in the end. It was too flat of a finish. IMHO satin paint is not the same sheen as a satin poly. I would recommend the semi-gloss. Can he show you samples so your own eyes can see it?

o

You could always pop into Sherwin Williams and look at the sheen. They usually have samples in the store, at least mine did when I was there last Friday.

Personally, I like a bit of sheen, I'd go semi gloss if it were mine.

HTH

o

agree agree, agree. Although the trend in cabinet sheen is less glossly than it was 10 -15 yeats ago, I'd go semi-gloss because it's paint, not cabinet finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here