Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

hiding outlet on the island

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

Can anyone who has a popup or flip up outlet on their island tell me if they are glad they made that decision? I know this has been covered before but haven't heard much from the crowd who might have actually had a "flip-up" or "popup" outlet installed and whether they have regrets.

From what I can tell, most islands that I see have the counter without outlets. I was wondering if having a flip-up outlet might be a good idea. I'm thinking that I would like to prevent any part of the cord of an appliance from hanging off the edge of the island. How can one avoid this unless they have an outlet "on top" of the counter?

popup outlet:

Eclectic Kitchen by Mountain View General Contractors Harrell Remodeling

flipup Mockett outlet:

outlet on side of island (lots of clever ways to do this, I know.)

Traditional Kitchen by Millersburg Cabinets & Cabinetry Mullet Cabinet

This post was edited by elphaba on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 11:50

Comments (17)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

First, I believe the flip-up outlet you pictured is not kitchen-rated, so that's out.

We were set on the Mockett pop-up outlet, but then decided we didn't want to "muddy" our otherwise huge expanse of countertop (10 x 3, with no appliances, sinks or anything else). We went with a front-of-island outlet.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Why not put it on the side of the base cabinets? If the base cabinets are drawers, it's very likely that there's enough space behind the drawer for the junction box.

• elphaba_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I mentioned, I don't want the wires hanging off the side of the counter if I can avoid it.

I use a LOT of elec gadgets - too easy for a sleeve to accidentally catch on the wire and yank down. I am old and not so aware - my peripheral vision is quite poor. Trying to add another level of safety but not if there is some reason (other than esthetics) not to put outlets on top. My island will have a prep sink so clutter barrier will be broken.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

If I had broken the "clutter barrier" as you call it, I definitely would have used the Mockett popup. Sorry, though, I have no actual experience with it.

• PRO
    The Boulia Gorrell Custom Design Center
    10 years ago

I buy these SensioPods through Masterbrand.
    I get a lot of positive feedback from customers that are using them, especially this model, with 2 USB ports.
    I believe it is a good alternative to the side/front mounted outlets,though on this job the inspector gave us a hard time about it, because it isn't tamper proof.
    You may want to check with the local electrical inspector, just so there are no surprises later, when your pop up fails final inspection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensio Power Pod

This post was edited by BOGOCO on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 15:58

• cevamal
    10 years ago

I was torn between the appeal of safety with the pop-ups v. the hassle of having to wipe down the counter around them.

I know that in our house it would end up with all sorts of grunge in the crevices so ended up going with the outlets on the side of the island.

If I have an appliance I'm really worried about (say, electric frying pan full of oil) I'll use it on the perimeter.

For the stand mixer it's not unattended for long so I don't mind having the cord wrap around under the counter.

• redroze
    10 years ago

Do this...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

That wouldn't help with wires hanging over the edge (it would help with "hiding" the outlet though). We have one like that on the back side of the island, where the stools are. in the front, we just have a filler space that was created for the express purpose of the outlet on the front face. I'm not a member of the "outlets are ugly" crowd, so I don't have a problem with the location.

• elphaba_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think one Sensio Pod would be great! Though they are pricey at $192. Not sure how close it can go to my prep sink. The optimum place where I have the 12 inches required space below the counter is fairly near the faucet.

And I think I will put one hidden outlet (hidden in the standard way) under the overhang on the end where there will be two stools. The standard hidden outlet hopefully will have USB ports as well as the standard electric ports. The USB could be useful to someone sitting on the end tinkering with their mobile electronics.

And any wires over the edge on the end near the stools will not be (very) near the cook (i.e. me) which is the main thing I'm trying to avoid.

But still thinking - don't have to make mind up yet.

Seems there are several manufacturers for the pop-up outlet and at least two have a rubber ring that has the purpose of keeping liquid from infiltrating the outlet space but only the Sensio has the USB ports AND the rubber ring - $192 price for 3 outlets and 2 usb ports.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind. I'm getting there.

• redroze
    10 years ago

Sorry for the curt reply... typing while holding an infant is a challenge. Yes the outlets in the island only work if you don't mind the cord...I keep small appliances like toaster and rice cooker in the island and only bring them out to cook. I feel like the electrical towers are a space-age looking eyesore when open. I prefer wires hanging over edge.

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

Hi Elphaba,

We hid our island outlets in a cabinet but did use pop-ups on the peninsula. Ours are a different style than the Mockett or SensioPod; we went in this direction because these are shallower so take up less room underneath (3.5" depth). They come in various finishes and configurations (ie, 2 outlets, outlet + USB ports, etc.). Ours are 20 amp GFI which we needed for code compliance. Depending on the mounting surface they can sometimes be recessed but we were not able to do that. Have not had any issues cleaning around them but, full disclosure, nothing messy is happening on my peninsula.

Picture with 1 open and 1 closed is below FYI. I've also included a link to Lew Electric who makes these, scroll down to the section called 'PUFP Countertop Boxes.'

Hope this info is helpful to you! Ruby

Here is a link that might be useful: Lew countertop receptacles

• TB151
    10 years ago

We had ours place in the legs on our island. We had them made pretty chunky with quite a bit of trim so they blend in well. If your sitting at the far left or right of the island, they are in the legs but facing you. The island is stained dark brown and the outlets and covers are also brown, so with the shade of the granite you cant see them unless looking for them. We like that placement because its convenient for plugging in laptops, but also allows us to plug in any other appliances we need to use.

• Matt0523
    9 years ago

For posterity, I thought I'd include a link to a relatively new product I dug up in an internet search. A company called S-Box (http://the-sbox.com/us/design-options/) apparently lets you place a kitchen-friendly outlet as a pop-up *and* cover it with a custom slab of granite so it blends into your counter-top.

Also, another thought (which I saw on another, older thread): place a raised "spine" in the center of your island, cap that spine with a thin strip of granite, and then use the "shelter" it creates to add in plug trees on either side. It's permanent / creates two levels to your island, but it follows the adage of my designer - if you don't like something, "hide it in plain sight" (meaning make it look purposeful/nice rather than hoping no one will notice).

Hope those ideas help someone out!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Also, another thought (which I saw on another, older thread): place a raised "spine" in the center of your island, cap that spine with a thin strip of granite, and then use the "shelter" it creates to add in plug trees on either side. It's permanent / creates two levels to your island, but it follows the adage of my designer - if you don't like something, "hide it in plain sight" (meaning make it look purposeful/nice rather than hoping no one will notice)."

Yep. I think the chance of catching a cord from a side mount is slim and a pop up interrupting a top is permanently unattractive.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

a pop up interrupting a top is permanently unattractive.

That's why we ultimately decided against it, even though it's a cool idea.

• PRO
    Innovative Product Sales International
    4 years ago

The S-Box pop-up outlets offer fully UL, splashed rated, tamperproof and tested to 75,000 cycles. They can be either mounted as a drop-in with the premium stainless top or concealed using a matching piece of your counter top material to hide when not in use. The system works with a patented press and release counterbalance system. These are stocked in North Carolina and offered in 15a & 20a models - https://www.nodrillingrequired.com/S-Box-s/122.htm