Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llucy_gw

What are Command Centers?

llucy
9 years ago

I've seen several plans recently that include something called a command center in the kitchen. How are these used? Charging stations for electronic devices?

I charge my devices where I use them - which isn't usually in the kitchen- so I'm perplexed about this.

Comments (15)

• pinkelephant64
    9 years ago

It's where you drop your keys, sort the mail, write the checks, charge the phone, use a laptop...
    basically a mini office

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

My wife is the Command Center.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Where the monitors (tv screens) for the security cameras are located. Armed guard or "panic button" optional.
    Casey

• crl_
    9 years ago

Here's a link to a houzz search on "command center" filtered by kitchen photos.

I'm considering a small one with room for keys, mail and a message board--no desk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz search

• bpath
    9 years ago

Also your wall calendar if you have activities, or kids with activities, school directories, upcoming theater tickets, permission slips, schedules if you don't use cozi or other online calendar or for kids who don't have accounts, etc., school bell schedule, what the trash pickup won't allow in recycling, when you can out the old broken ping pong table out at the curb,...

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I had something similar built in our new house. I call it a "drop zone", but I think it functions much the same. Ours is located as you come in from the garage, just outside my pantry. I have a small bench and coat hooks on one side of the pantry door and the "drop zone" on the other. I had my husband make slots for mail and sunglasses and key hooks, as well a a phone jack for our landline and plug for charging cells. This is the only picture I have now, we've just moved in, so please excuse the wood glue and caulk and other random construction stuff. :)

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

What? Wood glue and caulk aren't standard things in the command center? I'm married to a contractor; those things are a part of my "normal". ; )

I've linked one of my favorite command center's below. It's rather elaborate, but the person it belongs to has some very good reasons for making it the way that she did.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeJong's Command Center

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

We're doing a command center that looks like this -- chargers are inside, a place for keys, phones, mail, etc. Everything will be hidden. It won't be in the kitchen, either -- it will be in the entry foyer.

{{gwi:2135873}}

[Modern Hall[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2105) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers yamamar design

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Laughable - ha! I can well relate. It's like creeping communism. Tool by tool, any space will eventually be overwhelmed. Horizontal surfaces do not stand a chance. I gave DH the only drawer stack in the pantry and these are filled to overflowing. Of course, as long as I have projects which need to be done, I won't complain too much....

My command center is like Nurse Ratched's - I bark out orders from my prep and cooking stations.

As to charging stations, I spec'd 4 outlets at my desk area (in the kitchen), but kiddos typically unplug chargers and cables, and take them to other rooms. Charging stations should really be in more than one place.

• llucy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for cluing me in. I had the idea that "command center" was a dressed up term for "desk in the kitchen". From the pictures provided, I see that it doesn't necessarily have to have a desk, it's more like storage in or near the kitchen for items that aren't specifically used in the kitchen, but handy to access from there.

Sweet tea -
    I have glue, caulk, and miscellaneous tools residing in one of my kitchen drawers. I'd love to have your drop zone - I think it's perfect for construction items as well as sunglasses!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I want the deJong's pull-out shredder! And jewelry dividers in the desk drawer, perfect.

My idea, command center would be counter- or bar-height with a stool for perching to jot a quick note or list.

I'd have chargers there only if it's a smallish house and if it's near the living center. We charge where we are lol!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Here's my Command Center in the kitchen. Just put the shelf up last night. (LOL)

{{gwi:2135874}}

• Buehl
    9 years ago

There are many threads discussing "Message Centers"/"Command Centers"/"Communication Centers". Do a Google (or similar) search using "site:ths.gardenweb.com" as part of the search criteria.

Search for "Sweeby's Organization Closet" as well. This is how she describes it:
    Instead of a desk, we have an 'organization closet'

It has a stand-up desk-height counter with a wide shallow drawer underneath in which we keep stamps, stapler, tape, paper clips.

Electrical outlet on the wall for phone chargers.

Top shelf for phone books.

Hooks and space beneath for backpacks.

Hooks up top for umbrellas and dog-leashes.

Dry-erase board on one wall, bulletin boards on the other two.

And best of all -- a DOOR that closes!"

Just a warning: Use Houzz with caution. I have seen so many nice looking but dysfunctional layouts on that site that I hesitate to ever reference it. Look at it for form/looks, and, maybe, ideas, but do not look at it for functional layouts.

[Edited for typos]

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby's Organization Closet

This post was edited by buehl on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 23:59

• Buehl
    9 years ago

My Message Center Niche embedded in an 8" deep pantry wall:

All cords, etc. are snaked through the back wall into the pantry (the hole is hidden by the phone - it doesn't have to be a big hole). Inside the pantry - the outlets:

{{gwi:2135875}}

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I built matching caves for DH and myself.
    He used to steal my counter for his bicycle helmet and other toys.
    Now he has his own space and I have my counter!
    Win/win
    The caves are powered to charge our "toys"
    On the road or I would post a picture

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 12:49