Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

how to paint soffits, ceilings, walls? pics anyone?

jessie21
16 years ago

for those of you who have soffits in your kitchen, i'm looking for examples of how to paint the room. soffit as part of the ceiling in one color and walls different? or part of soffit one color and part another? hard to describe what i'm asking, but i'm hoping soffit people will understand what i mean. can you show me some photos? i'm really at a loss as to how to proceed. to make matters more confusing, the kitchen opens to the dining room and the soffit that divides the room is now much smaller than the others (my idea that i hope i don't regret). help!

Comments (13)

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I painted vertical exterior soffits the same as the walls. Horizontal portions are popcorned like the ceiling. Then vertical interior portions (hopefully you don't have those) are also popcorned like the ceiling and painted as ceiling.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, sammi2...it looks good. not sure what you mean by "vertical interior" but yeah, i think i do? i have 2 regular old soffits (which don't bother me) across from each other, only on kitchen walls. one wall has no soffit. the shorter soffit that divides kitchen and dining room has an inside (the kitchen) and outside (dining room.)

anyone else?

• User
    16 years ago

My current kitchen has soffits (that I paid to have installed) that are painted the color of the walls.

The new kitchen will be without soffits.

I'm having trouble visualizing soffits painted the ceiling color, especially if the walls are very different in color. Any pictures?

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I HAD soffits in the old kitchen, so the first pic is of those. I painted them same colour as wall, and then applied a wallpaper border. (ceiling is white-reflected light may make it appear same colour as walls).

In our LR we kept the soffits, just too much hassle to remove, so I painted all of the surfaces same colour as the wall.

{{gwi:1585548}}

{{gwi:1585549}}

• jessie21
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks dian57 and rachelen. no pictures yet....still too messed up.

painting them the same as the walls is definitely an option and i would like to see even more examples of that.
    but hanging out on this board over the months, i've noticed some interesting or different ways of handling it that i'd like to consider before deciding. sammi's, above, is done a little differently but i sure would like to see more.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Here's our soffit shown at the corner area so you can see our colors. We get ALOT of compliments. Hope this helps.

{{gwi:1585550}}

• jessie21
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, debi, it looks great. am i seeing right...that all surfaces of your soffit are painted one color and the wall is different? or is it just my monitor or the lighting? i LIKE them different!

by the way, although mine are VERY dark, my new cabinet style looks very much like yours. they are almost done with the install and i'm so excited!

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Thanks. Yes, you are right. Only the soffit is chocolate brown and the rest of the walls are the "Summer" orange.

• cinnamonsworld
    16 years ago

We have same-color-as-the-walls (off-white) soffits and I'm not crazy about them. I think they look better with a coordinating color (close color, like the brown with orange shown above). Also love the wallpaper idea. (Usually I like sticking with a monochromatic look but there's something about soffits... at least in off-white... that look like they need to be some other color.)

• terible
    16 years ago

Hi Jessie,
    Have you picked out your wall color? If so, lets say you picked a color third or forth one down on a paint swatch for the wall, choose 2nd one down for the soffit and the first and lightest color tint on swatch for the ceiling. Don't think you can go wrong with that. I do not have soffits in the kitchen but have architectural elements near the ceiling or to the ceiling throught my home, it all looks very pulled together.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    16 years ago

haven't picked wall color yet....have been on decision overload.

one of my problems is that before i started this facelift, the ceiling and soffits were all covered with wallpaper!! not as bad looking as it sounds.

any more photos?

• november
    16 years ago

We have an unavoidable soffit in the middle of our kitchen (support beam). The bottom of it is the same color as the ceiling and the sides are the same as the walls.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you, november. i think it looks very pretty. in fact, everyone has given me some great choices but it's still going to be a tough call for me.