Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

question about cabinet warranty for the experts

ardcp
9 years ago

i think i know the answer but after talking about my issues with my cabinets to someone, the question that came up was "what about the warranty?"
i have medallion silverline in maple that was installed in april of 2014. with normal use (read pretty careful) i have dings/dents in most of my uppers at the inside edge. also is it that maple is too soft to stand up to frequent use? i had oak/oak veneer prior and did not have problems until after 10 years of use.
i also have 2 chips on the face frame on the corners. one of the chips was noticed by me 2 days after install and my kd said medallion would consider it my use that caused it. since that was her answer i have not bothered to call her to complain but maybe i should? after install she made it sound like most issues would be considered normal wear/use.
the pic is the dings/dents on the edges of the uppers. keep in mind nothing sharp or heavy is stored in these cabinets. i have touched it up already with the stain my kd gave me but have not put that wax stuff (repair kit) on it.

Comments (6)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

@ardcp: "one of the chips was noticed by me 2 days after install and my kd said medallion would consider it my use that caused it."

The KD is not your friend.

"i have not bothered to call her to complain but maybe i should?"

Why did you wait 10 months? Too late now.

Have you read the warranty?

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i was not given any warranty in writing actually. i am not an expert therefore have no idea what is really covered with warranties.
    why would i go complain to my kd when she already stated it would not be covered after 2 days? i just assumed this was what i got for going cheap on cabinets.
    as for medallion, there is no way to contact them directly so you are forced to go through your supplier so friend or not i have no choice but to go with what she says is covered.
    i asked about the finish warranty at install and she told me that medallion only covered the finish if my house had the proper humidity levels which sounds like a way to wiggle out of coverage.
    i had a lot of finish/quality issues with these cabinets(previous threads) so i am not surprised by the newer flaws.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Dings and knicks at that location are considered normal wear and tear. Cabinet contents should be placed into the interior. Hitting the rails with the contents should be avoided. All wood will dent with impacts. That has nothing to do with the finish.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

greendesigns- thanks, that was my assumption as well. it is just surprising to me that my care of these cabinets is certainly no worse than my last and yet i am seeing more dings. is it the difference in hardness of maple vs oak?
    also since the rail is wood, can i lightly sand the edge and restain? (i have a can of medallion brandywine stain from the kd)

• kompy
    9 years ago

Hard maple is SLIGHTLY harder than red oak. But with the finer grain of maple and the dark Brandywine finish you have, it will show up more than oak or hickory. I agree with greendesigns, what you have there IS normal wear and tear. Darker cabinets, like black cars, show more of the dings.
    I am not an expert in touch ups....but would think I would only touch up the stain if any of the wood is showing through. I would not sand this area down....the dings will happen again. When your doors are closed, the door overlay will hide it anyway.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

ardcp, I honestly don't think it looks bad, if thats of any consolation to you. I love that rich stain, and if you invited me over, I likely wouldn't notice those dings even if you opened the door. Wood dents. Call it "patina" and enjoy your still-new kitchen.