Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint for doors and trim - Help

Posted by jellytoast (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:24

I went to Benjamin Moore yesterday to pick up paint for my interior doors and trim. I had intended to get the Soft Gloss/Satin finish because I had just used it on an exterior door and really liked it. However, I learned that their interior paint doesn't come in a Satin finish. My choices for trim are "Pearl" and "Semi Gloss."

I used the Regal Select on the exterior door and really liked the way it handled so I wanted to continue with the same thing. I've used the Aura before on interior walls and while I really love the way it turned out, it was not easy to work with. The Regal Select was a breeze and didn't dry too fast as I was working.

Should I go with Pearl or Semi-Gloss? Pearl is a finish between Eggshell and Satin and while they recommend it for doors and trim, it has just the slightest detectable gloss.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint for doors and trim - Help

I have used the pearl on woodwork, and while it is a beautiful velvety finish, it is not as washable as the semi gloss.
Really depends on your lifestyle- (kids,pets etc...)

o

Why don't you use Satin Impervo?

o

I kind of wanted to go with something tried and true, and I'm not familiar with Satin Impervo. I also wanted a water-base paint.

I didn't realize their was a paint forum here, so I'll do a little research over there.

o

I love Impervo and insist on it for all woodwork and cabinets. Painters would rather not bother, but it produced a wonderful surface.

o

Isn't Impervo an oil based paint? I believe that they have a water-based version as well, but when people say they love Impervo, I don't know which they are referring to.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 16:19

o

Impervo is oil based--and being phased out, little by little. Paint it up while it's still around!

o

There is an oil-based (alkyd) Impervo and a waterborne Impervo. I've only ever used the waterborne, and it's a dream. I also like the Advance.

o

Thank you catbuilder. I definitely do not want to use an oil-based paint. I think I may give the waterborne Impervo a try. Does it have a slower dry time like the Regal, or fast like the Aura?

o

I'd probably do cabinet coat which is made by a company owned by BM, It's a nice satin finish and water based.

o

I think we just got through using the BM oil based paint. If it were spring or early fall I'd probably use it again but the smell bothered me and I couldn't open the doors or windows.

I think it actually almost fried one of my plants! It started to droop really really bad and I've had it a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here