Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysmith1979

Bianco Antico granite is in, 3 issues...

amysmith1979
13 years ago

So I have to admit I am a perfectionist so want some honest opinions. I LOVE my new Bianco Antico granite, but have 3 issues with it. The first and most troublesome is that after the granite installers left I checked out the granite and moved the granite cutting board they left me and found a 12 inch hairline crack/fissure going from the front of the countertop straight back 12 inches. Very upset about this, it is zig zagged and I cannot feel it, some parts of it appear white like it was filled but not sure. The second issue is the sink cutout, one side is not completely straight. We have a 90 degree sink and one side is perfect on the cutout but the other side of the sink cutout is off slightly by less then a 1/4 inch. I can notice it but the husband says its fine. 3rd issue is where the granite meets the wall. Everywhere the granite meets the wall nice and tight except for one area there is a 1/4 inch gap that they filled with what looks like grout or something. I am hoping when we put up a backsplash that this will get covered. Would you accept all these issues? Am I being too picky? Husband says its a natural product so I am expecting perfect which doesn't exist. But a 12 inch hairline crack is really upsetting to me, I didn't pay that much money for a fissure/crack? I did see the slab prior and I did not see any fissures and I even asked the granite guys and they said there would not be any in the section they used. So maybe we both missed it since it cannot be felt and is just a hairline one? What should I do? This company came highly recommended to me, so I guess I was not anticipating any issues.

Comments (26)

• Liljon
    13 years ago

First of all yes it is a natural product and yes there will be fissure in stone, that is natural. However the granite fabricator should have seen that it would be in the edge and either informed you or made the call to move the pieces around so the fissure was less apparent. Most granite slabs are treated with resins from the factory, so saying it has been filled with something is probably true, most fabricators do not have the ability to refill and polish out the slabs like the factory does. The issue of the sink could be the sink itself not being square (if the cutout is square) If the cutout is not made square to the sink I would not accept it. Typically you will see about 1/8" gap from the wall to the granite, however a 1/4" is acceptable as long as the backsplash will cover the void.
    I hope this helped.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I would go ahead and call the fabricator about your concerns. Also, that cutting board? I think unless it has protective feet, you shouldn't have it on your counter--granite scratches granite. And granite is a poor choice for a cutting board, it will dull your knives. It might make a nice place to serve cheese, but don't cut on it.

Regarding the space where the counter meets the wall, will you have tile there by any chance to cover up the gap? My installers cut into the drywall to make sure it fit snug up against all the walls.

As a fellow BA owner, I think you deserve to be happy, 100%, and doing a happy dance right now. Call. Perhaps the owner can come by and check out your concerns. There is nothing to lose by calling.

Please post pictures, you know how we are.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I don't have much advice except to agree with Bee. Call them, but take a deep breath first to be calm. BA is my fav granite so I hate to see someone disappointed with it although I know it is more on the fragile side than some. I want to see lots of fab pics and hear about how much you love it!! Let us know how it works out please.

• amysmith1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those of you who have bianco antico, do any of your slabs have hairline fissures or cracks? Mine is about 12 inches long and isn't extremely noticeable but I can see it. It is smooth to the touch however, so its like a hairline fissure inside the granite.

• amysmith1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention I did call them on Saturday and they said they would call me today by afternoon to setup a time for them to come and look at it. They never called me so I just called and left them a message. I hope this isn't going to turn into a big issue. I just really am not happy with the line, I wasn't anticipating spending this much on granite to have a crack/fissure in it. Its not that noticeable but still it really has upset me.

• greekscot_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi this is the first time I have ever done anything like this so am not sure if I am even doing it in the right fashion, hope so in order that some of you may be able to help me out. My hubby and I have just installed our new kitchen and choose bianco antico as our granite. It was installed a couple of weeks ago and I love it. However we have had it covered up whilst we have been doing some other projects in the adjacent family room. Now on closer inspection of the granite we have seen some things that we are not sure are normal or are flaws so any help you can give would be much appreciated.

So what are the issues you may ask, well the granite is not completely smooth to the touch in some areas and if you see the light shining on it these areas are dull whereas everywhere else is shiiny,some of these parts fell like they are rubbery as if they have been filled with something and when I press my nail into it gently you can see the mark!!!!There are also some areas where it feels like the granite has tiny chips in it. Finally are they meant to polish the underside of the granite or do they leave it the way you see it in the lot with that netting stuff attached to it???

To make matters worse when they installed the granite they smashed into one of our new cabinets - a 3 drawers base - and left a 2 inch dent in it. I did call and speak with the owner who had always been extremely friendly with me until that point when he all of a sudden became very defensive about it. After much ado he did agree to take the money off the final amount due in order that we could purchase a replacement cabinet, which we did and now looks good.

Is the problems with the granite normal or should I go and see what can be done about it and what if he says nothing can be done - what then.

Sorry about the long message but I am really upset about this and don't know what to do....

HELP

• powermark_shaw_ca
    13 years ago

We just installed Bianco Antico and have the same things happening. It's not polished smooth and the rough spots come through (mostly on very shiny quartz deposits and there are small chips in it. The granite guys are coming to have a look and I'll post their response.

Mark

• Kelbuchanan_hotmail_co_uk
    12 years ago

We have the same problem as you Mark. The ba granite is quite rough in places you can see them in the right light and catches my dish cloth. lucky we only had it installed 2 weeks ago and haven't paid for it yet, they are coming out to look at it. What happen when they came out to yours? And has anyone else had this problem?

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    6 years ago

We too have the same problem BA was in the showroom and looked fabulous and with a very smooth finish. After we purchased it and templates were made. the owner mentioned that we might see dull areas -part of cutting through the stone.

The granite is rough in places and I'm sure will be catching on clothes.It was just installed yesterday and I mentioned these areas as they were installing only to be told that this is natural -grrr- wished that would have been told to me prior to ordering. We have a lot of light on out kitchen and the counter looks unfinished with all these dull areas and "scratched" looking spots which are apparently supposed to be natural.

The results are disappointing after spending $5000

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Can you post a pic of the issues?

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    6 years ago

Its hard to get a picture of the problem areas with so much reflection.

The white area/spot in the lower middle is the roughest.
    Because we have skylights, the pics don't show the dull areas too well. The line through the reflected area looks like a thick dull scratch but apparently is supposed to be as in the natural stone.

Overall it looks lovely-just not what I was expecting .... so ask questions

• M Miller
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had White Delicatus in my previous home - it is very similar to Bianco Antico. When our fabricator went to pick up the slab we picked - which we loved - he refused it. He called us and said he detected a fissure, not easily visible to a non-professional, and he wouldn't work on that slab. He said there'd be problems fabricating or down the road. So we went back and picked another slab of White Delicatus, and it did not have a fissure.

We loved our White Delicatus. It seemed indestructible, and was gorgeous. We didn't baby it at all, and it seemed to just remain beautiful. There were a few small rough spots from the mica, which you only felt when you wiped the counter down, and not really troublesome. The counter edge was smooth and did not catch on clothes. I think your issue is that your fabricator was not observant or careful in looking at your slab before fabrication. He should have seen the problem and told you about it. I don't think that what you've pictured is acceptable.

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    6 years ago

It's installed now though

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Do you have a picture of the fracture?

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    6 years ago

THey are not really fractures. It is just rough in places and has dull areas apparently from through the stones

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    6 years ago

Thank you

We talked to the installer today and he said all slabs are different and that ours was hard to polish. We learn from experience. we will learn to love the "nature"

• steve boucher
    3 years ago

Stone does not come out of the mountain prrfect. Most all slabs are put back together at the factory and the fill and resin they use will not pilish like the rest of the stone. Plus all minerals will not polish at same rate. you will see in high reflection and

light. Its part of the stone especially Bianco antico

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    3 years ago

I am a fabricator. I don't believe any of the things you are concerned about are real issues. Many natural stones have fissures. It's VERY common to notice features in your installed countertops that you didn't see in the slab when you picked it. (This even happened to me and I look at stone every day.) The gap in the back is very acceptable assuming it'll be covered by splash. The sink cutout variation you see is very likely the sink, not the cutout. Most shops today have CNC's that make cutouts that are accurate to very small fractions of an inch. Overall it sounds like you have really nice new counters that you should enjoy. FYI Bianco Antico is a very chippy stone that takes extra fabricator skill and effort to finish well. Sounds like you had a good fabricator.

• HU-316488350
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi ,

can anyone help me ,whether this is a stain or natural in Bianco antico granite in the pic .

its a brand new kitchen.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

That's either natural or an excellent repair.

• HU-316488350
    3 years ago

Thank u for the reply

can u tell me about other pics also.

• HU-316488350
    3 years ago

• HU-316488350
    3 years ago

I see many defects on my granite, very

disappointing.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

The color spots you are seeing is to be expected. They may be resin, but may also quartz, which is very common in BA.

• HU-316488350
    3 years ago

Thank u

sounds not too bad. 👍

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone