Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conn123_gw

White cabinets w/ brown glaze: countertop, etc. suggestions?

conn123
15 years ago

Hi all...am a newbie to this forum but have enjoyed (and learned a lot) reading posts. We're redoing our kitchen (just starting). Things that are set:

-Cabinets (Perimeter is white w/ brown glaze, they look creamy; Island is a warm cherry.)

-Floor (We are leaving in place an antique tile floor with wood beams running through it. Imagine saltillo color tiles.)

Had originally thought to do a bluestone when I was going w/ straight white but I now think the darker colors make the cabs look too yellow. Had also thought of carrara marble but the grey in it also does not play well against the creamy cabs.

Have seen some pics of white-ish granite w/ carmel-colored veins and thought that might work to pull everything together. Any recommendations would be very appreciated (also for backsplash and paint color.)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• megradek
    15 years ago

I agree with looking for a granite with the more 'brown' undertones with your glazed cabs and floor.

Here's our current top pick: Sky Pearl Quartzite

And I think it was Salmon slayer?? that has White Gold Quartzite which also would be lovely. I couldn't find it in my area.

You could still go with a dark granite, but with a deep brown? Elegant Brown, Brown Antique, Bronze Quartzite - all gorgeous stones.

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mairin...the sky pearl is GORGEOUS esp w/ the wood cabinets...my main concern w/ a white based granite is that the cabs don't look too yellow next to it...on the other hand, I really love the clean look of the lighter / whiter granites vs. the more yellow-y ones...

I had actually considered dark brown granite and haven't ruled it out...I just wonder if I need something to tie everything together and am not sure how the dark brown would look with a cherry island.

Anyone have thoughts on wood (teak? or mahogany?) countertops (not on island, but on white / brown glazed perimeter)? Is maintenance a concern?

What about a crema marble?

Thanks again to all...
    I want a classic looking kitchen

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops, cut off last part of previous post...
    I'm hoping for a classic looking kitchen that will not seem trendy / dated in a few years. Appliances are all fully integrated w/ exception of 48" range (stainless).
    Thanks again to all...

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

My kitchen colors are very similar to what you are describing, color-wise. We have creamy cabinets with a coffee glaze, a cherry island, and a saltillo floor. We came very close to making our floor with wooden strip dividers, but decided the floor was too narrow. Your floor sounds gorgeous!

We used a granite called Golden Queen on our cherry island, and a darker granite with a lot of brown and black in it on the perimeter. We also used the golden queen in our butler's pantry, which is all cherry.

I included a bunch of pictures so you can get an idea. I think if you click on any of those you can see all the pictures. I am a terrible photographer,and I was using a crappy camera at night with no natural light, so some of the colors, particular the wall paint color, are a bit off.

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jeannie, your kitchen is just gorgeous...love it, esp w/ your fabulous range...
    i keep going back and forth btwn something darker on the perimeter and something lighter. kd said i should not opt marble out but i worry about the white w/ grey making my glazed cabs look too creamy / yellow against it. anyone have any pics? would a crema marble look too washed out? any thoughts on wood? thanks again to all...

• L H
    15 years ago

If painting my cabs a creamy white works out, I'm adding cognac colored island and going with Brazilian brown counter. I love the look.

• catheemivelaz
    15 years ago

OMG! I thought I was looking at a pic in Home Beautiful! I am sorry if this is taboo on these forums, but I HAVE to ask...what did it cost for this beautiful kitchen?

• rebeccainchicago
    15 years ago

I had the same question when picking a countertop to go with my offwhite cabinets that are to be glazed with an espresso finish. Decided that only the perfect brown granite/quartzite would work, and when I didn't find that I ordered a black walnut countertop throughout. None of this is installed yet, so no pix. The countertop will be treated with Waterlox, so in theory will work perfectly in the heavy-duty prep area. Good luck to you!

• rvj1970
    15 years ago

I have dark cherry cabinets, but I think the granite I have, Bianco Antico, would be a good candidate for you. It has differet shades of browns, coppers, and greys running throughout. I have seen it with both dark and white cabinets.

Good luck with your decision!

rvj

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rvj, thank you for posting...your kitchen's gorgeous...will def look at bianco antico.
    angelina_101: please post pics when you can...sounds beautiful
    jeannie_kitchen:separate question: was oohing and aaahing over the rest of your pics and noticed door in your butler's pantry. we are renovating an old carriage barn. it has rustic interior doors similar to yours. some are not salvageable and we're contemplating trying to match or replicate the feel (incl hinges)...they look a _lot_ like yours (in fact so do my kitchen cabs and floor)...are the doors new or old doors? if new, where did you find them?

• stephanie93
    15 years ago

Have you seen Colonial Treasure granite?? We are using it on our black island and using absolute black on the perimeter. CT has brown and black in it--I just love it.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

My cabinets are more white with a glaze but we too have a cherry island and hardwood floors. I went with Santa Cecelia mostly because I wanted more of a grey background than gold. Very happy with the look.

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Conn 123: the door is old, and it is one of my favorite things in my kitchen.

The door is original to the house, which was built in 1894. It, like everything else in the house, had about 20 layers of paint on it. We sent all the kitchen doors and hardware out to be dipped and stripped, with the intent of painting them. But we decided to just put a clear poly on the dining room door to see how it would look, and we love how it turned out. It has some dents and scrapes, but with the finish, it looks good.

Definitely not for everyone, becuase it is quite "rustic." I'm sure my mother is horrified because the door is kind of beat up, and she always wants everything to look perfect and new, but I like it, and the house is really old, so it fits.

We had one other door that we planned to leave unpainted, that was actually in better shape, but a worker painted it. We've left it so far (we didn't make it crystal clear that we didn't want it painted, so we didn't make a huge stink about it).

I would think that if your own doors are not in good enough shape to leave unpainted, you might try a salvage place. Not sure where you would find a new door that looked old.