Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Where to hang wet micro fiber counter rags between uses?

Brandywine72
9 years ago

I just got marble counter tops. I have read to use microfiber cloths, instead of sponges, for wiping, drying, cleaning the counter top. Where should I hang to dry these messy little cloths in between uses? I have always used sponges, which are easy to tuck into a nice container, but a cloth needs to hang to dry or else it will get yucky.

I cannot hang it anywhere that will drip onto the counters or my wood floors. I'd like to have them in a non-visible location as they are microfiber towels - not as beautiful as pretty kitchen hand towels.

I have seen magnetic hooks that go inside the sink bowl but I think the cloths would just continue to get wet if kept inside the sink. We keep our garbage in the cabinet under the sink, so we don't like the idea of storing a rag used to clean the counter right next to an open can of waste.

Suggestions?

Comments (11)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Ya know, I hear that and I don't get it. I've always stored the towels/rags on hooks on one side of my sink cabinet, the garbage on the other. They don't touch and, AFAIK, garbage doesn't crawl around. I guess I did it because that's where my mom always kept hers so it's natural to me. Mom is 91 and she has survived just fine.

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

I have one of these screwed into the inside of the sink cabinet door. It holds two dishcloths and my dish washing gloves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing Arm Kitchen Towel Rack

• Jillius
    9 years ago

My mom has extra-large drawer pulls screwed into the cabinets in a couple places around the kitchen. They look like small towel bars (she picked white ones so they'd disappear against her white cabinets), and that is how she uses them. She hangs both dish towels and smaller, wetter dish rags from them, and there is no issue.

What you're concerned about -- the dripping -- just doesn't happen if you wring it out first. And they dry out just fine.

• LE
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mind a more elegant solution than what I'm doing, either. I just have them under the sink draped over a spray bottle. But then, they are not soaking wet either-- I'm currently spraying the counters with vinegar + water and just wiping them with the cloth, so it's almost dry when it goes under there. I keep my trash in a pullout, but our compost bucket is under there and we haven't had anything crawl out yet. But there is a lid on it...

• Brandywine72
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a super tight squeeze under our sink. We have garbage on one side and recycling on the other and the doors literally touch up against both cans when closed. So if I hung the rags under the sink they would touch the garbage and recycling cans both of which I think are likely teeming with bacteria. But the more I have googled and read about dish rags, it sounds like they are teeming with bacteria too. Now I think I might just invest in 15 - 20 microfiber cloths and use a new one each time I wipe off the counter instead of reusing them. Now... where to store the dirty ones until they make it up to the second floor where our laundry is located!

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I have a small stainless steel towel bar that fits over the bottom cabinet door by the sink. The part that hangs over the door is rubber padded to not scratch the wood. It's only about 10 inches wide. You could easily turn it around on the sink door so the wet towels would be on the inside of the sink. I bought mine at Walmart.

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

I put one of those spring-loaded curtain rods under the sink.

• KCMom8696
    7 years ago

I prefer to have the dishrag handy in/on sink. We recently remodeled and changed from a divided sink to a single large bowl. So, I've been scouring the internet (pun intended :-) for a good storage solution for a wet dishcloth. This is pricey, but after what we spent on remodeling and all the attention to function/form that was paid, I think it's worth it...

Magisson magnetic cloth holder...

http://magisso.com/products/magnetic-kitchen-cloth-holder/

• lenarufus
    7 years ago

Hi .. Where did you see the price?

• Jancy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Theres some on Amazon 49.37, 49.99, 30.99 Magisso