Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_rachel

My new kitchen�. suggestions please

mark_rachel
9 years ago

So here is my new kitchen. I'm loving it, but I know I can make it even better. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. But I'm a little slow with coming up with ideas this time. Please help!

Comments (7)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

But it looks really nice! Are you asking about paint, accessories, easy fixes, or willing to do more?

I'd replace the OTR microwave with a vented hood. Put a MW where toaster is, and nudge toaster toward opening in wall. Maybe retrofit some drawers or pull-outs. The only other suggestion would be a prep sink in the island, closer to range (Edited: cook-top), but that entails more work (and $$$) than paint.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 14:01

• nanomug
    9 years ago

move the double oven down and put a microwave on top. While I use the double oven frequently when baking for the most part we use only the top oven. Putting the microwave over the double oven works great for us.

For years we had the OTR micro and it was so gunky from the cooktop. New location makes it easier to clean around the cooktop

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions. We will for sure change the countertops & add a backsplash. We are thinking about taking out the cabinets right by the double ovens and the wall to open it up more to the great room. Replacing the microwave with a hood would be ideal as well. Paint or countertop suggestions would be helpful.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I spy a white painted banister in the other room--will it be visible through the widened opening? Are you considering white cabinets to match?

As long as you're replacing countertops, I'll stay with the suggested prep sink. What countertop material are you thinking about? Soapstone would look good with the current cabinet stain, and also with white cabinets.

How do you feel about open shelves? Have you considered raising the current uppers, and using open shelving below? That might make up for space lost if you remove the cabs beside the ovens.

If you choose a chimney hood, can the cabinet above the OTR MW be re-used over the oven cabinet?

I like the current paint color. :)

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are correct there is white stair railing heading upstairs. I have no desire to paint these cabinets though. I'm not a fan of white cabinets for myself, though I do think they look great in kitchens. I had not considered a prep sink and I really like that idea. For the countertop I'm thinking a stone. Granite or quartz, but again I didn't even think of soapstone. This is why I love this place!! THanks!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I suggested soapstone because something about your cabinets remind me of cotehele's kitchen. The doors are different, so it must be the color and trim. Soapstone would take it in a more craftsman/bungalow direction--cotehele's actually leans to the Victorian. Would that fit in with the rest of your home?

Here is a link that might be useful: cotehele's kitchen--one of my most favorite ever

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is more contemporary craftsmen, so yes I think it would work. I can't wait to go look at slab. That's one of my favorite parts of a kitchen reno. Cotehele's kitchen is very nice.